+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is FotM just a way to keep the game fresh and interesting?

Default Is FotM just a way to keep the game fresh and interesting?

The way Rift is designed around being able to have multiple souls, respec as often as necessary, and added in fact that classes are constantly being changed as if we are still playing an open beta version of the game, I've started wondering if FotM changes are just a part of the grand design to keep people changing their specs and get used to replaying their callings.

Warriors went from Riftblades, to Champions, to Beastermaster Champions, to upcoming Paragon Riftblades.
    Rogues went Saboteur, to Ranger, to Assassin, to Bladedancer builds.
    Mages have gone from Pyros, to Storm Callers, back to Pyros.
    Clerics... well, Clerics have a ridiculous amount of versatility to vary their builds as is... not much to say here I guess.

The patches continue to nerf and boost various souls within each calling to complete overhauls, making new specs never used before become the top of the charts for the "must have" spec for raids and PvP. Every new version of the game more often than not is becoming a relearn of playing a class, and as a result makes the game more fresh and interesting. Intended, or no?

We already know that some devs hire psychology experts to help make their game more 'addictive.'

I wouldn't be surprised if the FotM phenomenon is a side effect (or even an intended effect) of some of the changes that happen in an MMO.

Change and learning to adapt are definitely major factors in keeping players interested and playing longer.

Rift Chaser

You do realize with the new mana changes to clerics, we have a new form of "energy" now. Our blue bar "mana" is replaced with a black bar "energy" . Said energy will only work with potions on a 2min cooldown. So have fun running those instances with the new "energy" clerics

Drunk

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkhealer View Post
    You do realize with the new mana changes to clerics, we have a new form of "energy" now. Our blue bar "mana" is replaced with a black bar "energy" . Said energy will only work with potions on a 2min cooldown. So have fun running those instances with the new "energy" clerics

Drunk
    So many tears and so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkhealer View Post
    you do realize with the new mana changes to clerics, we have a new form of "energy" now. Our blue bar "mana" is replaced with a black bar "energy" . Said energy will only work with potions on a 2min cooldown. So have fun running those instances with the new "energy" clerics :d

Drunk
    qq moar???
    Blakjak
    Liquidus - Defiant - Keenblade

Message me in the game if you want to chat...

Atlantica did just that. Every time a new char came out or an old char was buffed, nerfed, tweaked, you were pretty much forced to change your formation (and many times your main char). And that applied to pvp and pve since formations were not always good amd both (often times they weren't).

And with the release your char feature and many of times you get new chars that are useless so you don't level them, every change in meta caused people to waste time leveling a new char to match the rest of your team (which could be 125+) and every new char you got via questing were level 1.

Fotm is another time sink. However in rift, unless you are making a new class, changing builds isn't anything but adaptation since most builds still serve a purpose to skilled players.

Quote Originally Posted by Toogeloo View Post
    The patches continue to nerf and boost various souls within each calling to complete overhauls, making new specs never used before become the top of the charts for the "must have" spec for raids and PvP. Every new version of the game more often than not is becoming a relearn of playing a class, and as a result makes the game more fresh and interesting. Intended, or no?
    It may have been Ghostcrawler I stole the quote from, but, "Balance is an art, not a science."

It's just not possible to balance 32 different trees together without sacrificing everything that makes them different. You're not gonna make Rogue Tank builds match Warrior tank builds (since, you know, there's four times the number of tank trees in Warrior).

Balance and Patching is ebb and flow.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    Mirage of Faeblight

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Scony View Post
    It may have been Ghostcrawler I stole the quote from, but, "Balance is an art, not a science."

It's just not possible to balance 32 different trees together without sacrificing everything that makes them different. You're not gonna make Rogue Tank builds match Warrior tank builds (since, you know, there's four times the number of tank trees in Warrior).

Balance and Patching is ebb and flow.
    Ebb and flow .. HAH! They make too many changes thats the problem. They arent tweaking the game causing an Ebb and flow, they revamp whole class systems which causes cyclones and monsoons of changes. Ebb and flow, gimme abreak.
    Andoreniel - 50 Mage
    Specs
    Chloromancer/Warlock/Archon - Support/Heals
    SC/ELE/Archon - DPS

FotM is an aggrivating, obnoxious, pita part of mmos that take the fun factor out of a game. People use it as a means to harrass other players in game. Makes for a miserable time in a genere where skill and and class knowledge have been completely over shadowed.

The worst thing ever brought into mmos was pvp, purely because of the people it brought in with it. You are not allowed to have fun in an mmo, unless you are on the FotM specs, your 15 dollars a month is worth nothing, getting entertainment has no meaning.

Promises made by companies are not followed through on, and you will never get your monies worth.

Ok. So you guys talk about the FotM and all. You say this and that.

But seriously, were all mages pyro? No. In fact, the best mage I have ever faced was running a weird necro build that I have never fought against before and owned me much more than the pyro. You know why? because it's dead easy to interrupt cinder burst, which then silences them for 5 seconds, and pop cleanse soul to laugh at them for another five seconds.

What about rogues? Well, the MM is quite strong these times around, the sin can do insane burst and survive every now and then. But are these the best rogues out there? No, the ones that you want to bash your head on your keyboard while fighting are running combinations of trees that are not the FotM.

Warriors, what about them? Did all of them run the very same build? I think not. There's the warrior tank, the subdue warriors, etc.

Clerics have always been a ***** to kill. But hey they are healers, what they do is healing right? But there's always tools that enable you to kill them anyways. (Hello anathema, lingering wounds, fell blades, etc.)

I'll tell you why PvE people dislike PvP. They dislike it because it's frustrating to lose an encounter. Yes, you can wipe on this boss or that boss. You die, you learn the mechanics and end up doing it. Satisfaction. A never ending process of winning.

This doesn't always apply in PvP. For anyone that kills someone, that someone dies and (may) gain some frustration. If you are on the first end, you are happy; on the other end, you may become angry. Angry players become terrible, they play badly, so they die more, they get more frustrated, and, then, they whine about their healers, their players, and the classes, the gear, the popular builds, etc. Because they get killed by one class, they think the game is all f'ed up. They whine in the warfront, they whine in the forums, they whine in global chat and because it's the only place where people lose, it makes the whole PvP community look bad. Whereas, there's no way to cry at bosses, blame trion for not balancing bosses and their loot.

Still, I assure you that real PvP can be quite rewarding. PvP is hard. If you don't want to step up the learning curve and you are the person that goes straight to the so called FotM, lose anyways and then get frustrated. Maybe there's a reason to that. PvP takes time to get good at. You also lose a lot while you learn.

It's also a never ending optimizing process where you choose something, play it, figure out you are weak against that class, so you tweak it to be able to kill them, and as you go, you get a better build, better gear, better awareness, los skills, positioning, you get to know every mechanics of your tree, etc.

There's also the gear blamers, these persons that may have never PvP'ed while levelling that die to a r6 player. As much as gear helps, is it the only problem? Think about someone playing starcraft for the first time and facing someone that has played over 1000 matches. There's no gear, so the reason is that the other player was more skilled. Now that the gear is there, it's simply too easy to blame it. As an r2 rogue, I was able to top damage and kb in my warfronts, was it gear? No, I had a crafter bow, so what made me that good? You tell me. Most of the problems in PvP is not the gear, it's that veterans have learned a lot more while grinding their way to the high ranks than the fresh. Of course it's frustrating, but as you get better, isn't it also rewarding / fun?

I assure you that PvP is not all about the FotM. In fact, most of them have the easiest counters anyways.

PvP takes time to get good at, and thats the reason I personally prefer PvP. In PvE, you can pick a build in the forums and if you have the gear, you could be able to deal 1900 dps by maching one button (look at Hoko's spec in the rogues forums). (I'm probably exaggerating here, I don't take into consideration boss mechanics and all ... but thats a case by case learning. In PvP, there's only one place to improve)

In fact, to be effective in PvP, you need to know where to be, know your skills, jump around, land your hits (if you are melee), LOS the big skills like cinder burst, know when to retreat, where to push and when, what to do, know when or why to backcap, create diversions, etc.

It might not be what you like, perhaps you don't want to invest that much into PvP. Still, I wouldn't go out there whining about FotM/etc. There's counters to everything in PvP, play it and you'll see.
    Last edited by Sir Sowl; 06-24-2011 at 07:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread