+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Request: Helpful Threads

Default Request: Helpful Threads

With the abundance of whining that goes on, it is incredibly hard to find helpful threads. If I was new to this game, and wanted to find out how a spec works, macros, rotations I'd be hard pressed to do so.

One thing people do is assume someone knows what they mean by X/X/X and 10/32/18. This is a misconception. Most people really don't know. Another thing is people assume someone knows and understands how the spec and rotation works.

The warrior forums is probably the most helpful forums I've seen. I don't even play a warrior much. It is more of an alt of an alt, but as someone who was looking for a tanking/tank leveling build, and a DPS build for the off chance I get to DPS I found the information easy to find and access there. It just seems like there is a ton less of whining and more of "Ok, how can we work this out." attitude. A good example of this is Ciderhelm. I know him well from the WoW Tankspot community. He presents his information well and constantly updates.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...s-amp-Raids%29

What brings this on is I started a mage, and if I didn't know how the game worked and was new I'd be so confused when someone goes "Alright, go necro/warlock/chloro." and then doesn't give links, or provide a good explanation on the rotation, macros and such. Luckly I'm not new to the game, or MMOs in general so I knew what to take and how to use it effectively. I know I praised the warrior forums right above, but the vagueness of things like this is dominant in every forum.

My request is that people who -know- what they are talking about, know their specs, rotations and such post helpful guides. A leveling build, end game build, macros, rotations, what kind of gear to look for. I know it is easy to request such a thing, as I would do it myself if I was good at explaining anything. It'd be nice to see the community making helpful threads that we could hopefully get the sticky and a OP who updates regularly. This isn't just a request to the community, but the moderators as well to step up and recognize real helpful threads, and trim them of pointless posts to keep creative discussion going.

Ascendant

I wonder if the rather silly 5 minute edit restriction has reduced the amount of people willing to post thorough guides.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    I wonder if the rather silly 5 minute edit restriction has reduced the amount of people willing to post thorough guides.
    If this is the case, then they can post helpful links to outside sources for their guides, tips and such. I know people are upset over their spec, or soul getting changed and the implications it has on their PvP and PvE performance but it is just silly sometimes.

I really wish I was good at explaining things. I'd be in the cleric forums doing a write up on the healing build I've used for end game since day one which does extremely well HPS wise as I am told.

RIFT Community Ambassador Sodahelm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    Guide authors are allowed to edit their posts indefinitely (though you need to post a guide before you are given author status).

Quote Originally Posted by Sodahelm View Post
    Guide authors are allowed to edit their posts indefinitely (though you need to post a guide before you are given author status).
    Speaking of Ciderhelm! I love your tanking guide. Even if my warrior is just an alt, it helped me understand how to do it effectively right away.

Sez

Don't expect a silver platter. If you want a guide, you have to dig it up. They are there.

Or, just google exactly what you are looking for. Internet is awesome
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Don't expect a silver platter. If you want a guide, you have to dig it up. They are there.

You missed the entire point of the thread. Then again, this is the interwebs, and it is easier to be critical than helpful.

Plane Touched

This thread is helpful

50 Cleric <Fires of Heaven>
    Recruitment - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6DGgZnjWw
    0 valor PvP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv5JtuQuqXA
    Rift PvE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulPTfNf_k40
    Site for everything rift! www.riftjunkies.com

I think when It comes to PvP builds we are all reluctant to give the wrong side an advantage, or a window to beating us that would not be reciprocated with similar information. There is a lot of singular discussion but not a whole lot of full discussion or disclosure. As for phoenixfire82's http://forums.riftgame.com/member.ph...-phoenixfire82 avatar we are asking for no disclosure.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post

Everytime I try to google for build information or guides on RIFT all I ever find are beta posts and stuff from around launch time. Maybe if I go further into the google results I'll find something with up to date info, but the first few pages in google typically have stuff that is old, and I assume obsolete due to the constant changes in souls.

I think when It comes to PvP builds we are all reluctant to give the wrong side an advantage, or a window to beating us that would not be reciprocated with similar information. There is a lot of singular discussion but not a whole lot of full discussion or disclosure. As for phoenixfire82's http://forums.riftgame.com/member.ph...-phoenixfire82 avatar we are asking for no disclosure.
    Why not? I thought competition is a good thing? If you wanna swat flies, go buy a fly swatter and get it going.
    Last edited by Fade2Black; 06-22-2011 at 09:06 AM.
    "Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory........"

+ Reply to Thread