+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [PvE] So what makes a Healer good?

Question [PvE] So what makes a Healer good?

Hey everyone!

I had a discussion with some a guildy last time about what makes a healer. She thought that meters (HPS) where very important and a steady amount of HPS would make a good healer. I totally disagree. I thought a good healer would be able to manage his mana in the right way and would not allow himself to become out of mana during the fight and minimizes the amount of overhealing done. She partly agreed though she still thought HPS was more important.

So what are your thoughts about it?

Sez

(Gear + Reaction Time)
    -------------------------------- x Time Logged in = Raid Value
    Multi-tasking Ability
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    (Gear + Reaction Time)
    Multi-tasking Ability

Why would high multi-tasking ability make you a worse raider?

Quote Originally Posted by Perilium View Post
    Hey everyone!

I had a discussion with some a guildy last time about what makes a healer. She thought that meters (HPS) where very important and a steady amount of HPS would make a good healer. I totally disagree. I thought a good healer would be able to manage his mana in the right way and would not allow himself to become out of mana during the fight and minimizes the amount of overhealing done. She partly agreed though she still thought HPS was more important.

There are a number of different types of healers, and the quality of each one cannot be compared to the others purely on HPS alone.

In some encounters, you can stand in one place and cast 3 second heals, critting for OMGAZILLION HP on each cast. In others, you need to cast on the move, so you can only do HoTs and Instants. so, some of it is encounter specific. Some builds are like a safety net, with a limited mana pool... others provide a constant stream of light healing, with no need to fret about mana.

Aside from all that, though, in any given dungeon raid party the HPS available to any given healer varies.

Raid Healers can do incredible HPS, because they have 19 players taking damage, as their responsibility.
    More damage = more opportunity to heal.

Pure Tank Healers will never do the kind of HPS that a raid healer does, because they're focusing on a single target, who has very good damage mitigation skills. Even if they can get HPS off procs and splash healing (like Surging Flames), they'll still do only a fraction of the HPS of the raid healer. Their scope of responsibility (their task) only gives them a small amount of damage to heal.

Healers cannot be judged purely on HPS.

I like the way my guild leader stated it.
    "I don't care about numbers... I only start asking questions about healers if the raid members start dying."
    Last edited by Kaelani; 06-21-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    (Gear + Reaction Time)
    Multi-tasking Ability
    Should probably be "Multi-tasking failure rate", since lower is better. =p
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Healing is graded pass or fail.

If the tank dies it's your fault, if you die it's the tanks fault, if the dps die it's their own fault.

Some fights are HPS contests, some are heal efficiency, some are cleansing / damage shielding / otherwise blowing cooldowns. Over-healing isn't bad. Tank dying because you didn't heal enough or you rand out of mana is bad.

Rift Chaser

It depends on the fight. Specific boss battles depend more on skill and reaction time where as others are totally dependent on gear and spamming heals.
    As a chloro I have a very difficult time when I have to cleanse and main heal. Like the 3rd boss in AP the other night drove me to drink. It was totally my fault for not being good enough yet. I also dont have the appropriate macros to jump back and forth between cleansing and dpsing.
    So it depends on your skill as much as everything else.
    No Chloror should ever be OOM .. and the HPS should always be high enough if geared well enough.
    Last edited by Andoreniel; 06-21-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    Andoreniel - 50 Mage
    Specs
    Chloromancer/Warlock/Archon - Support/Heals
    SC/ELE/Archon - DPS

Quote Originally Posted by NatashaK View Post
    Healing is graded pass or fail.

If the tank dies it's your fault, if you die it's the tanks fault, if the dps die it's their own fault
    This is not entirely true.. If some dumb off-tank taunts the boss so he gets in sight off all melee DPS and cleaves, all Melee DPS just dies becouse of that off-tank. It's just a very uncommon that it happens but you'll see my point.

Soulwalker

Hey everyone!

I have yet to heal in Rift, but I've healed in that "other" game everyone used to play for a few years.
    My take on healing: There are no good healers, at least as far as the rest of the party/raid is concerned.

Either everyone makes it through the encounter, or not. In the latter case, it's always the healers fault...
    Last edited by JustAManPlayingGames; 06-21-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Sword of Telara

Hey everyone!

A good healer is a healer who keeps people alive. When people start to die because of too little heals, then he might be a bad healer, but its far from that easy.

And just ignore people only talking about HPS, healing is SOOOOO much more than how much HPS you can pump out.

Gear and experience are the most important. You CAN be undergeared, but only if your tank counters with being overgeared.

Reaction time can be accomplished as both a hotkeyer and clicker, though many will argue that clickers are severely handicapped as healers. I am a Clicker and do just fine as a healer, however I did make one hotkey, and that was my single target Cleanse (cast @mouseoverui Cleanse) because it's just that important to be able to do as quick as possible. Aside from that, the GCD provides me plenty of time to heal everyone as needed.

Clickers however may find certain types of healers easier than others. I prefer Senticar because there is less need for party member switching, and target of target allows me to heal through the enemies onto the tank provided he is doing his job.

Warden is also fairly easy to heal with as a Clicker, and I have that as a secondary healing spec.

Overall the primary make or break for a Healer is just experience though. The more you do it, the more you figure out what needs to be done at what points. Through natural repetition and mechanic knowledge, your reaction times will improve on their own. You will know that a Cleanse is needed, and when, what it looks like in Raid Frames, etc. You will know when you need to pop cooldowns because the Tank is about to get omguberspanked by an ability, or the group is about to take massive damage. This naturally turns instinctive and if you maintain your game state of mind, will react accordingly on bad pulls and/or threat loss.

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

well if you run out of mana you won't have very good hps will you

Plane Touched

1. Roll A Cleric
    2. Profit,...by rolling a cleric, you have selected a healing class that guarantees the players automatically has more skills...at least starting tomorrow.
    Last edited by Josiaha; 06-21-2011 at 08:39 PM.

So what makes a healer good?

1. Gear
    2. Experience
    3. Practice
    4. Mana pods
    5. Having a good group
    6. A slamming outfit

Covergirl Diamond
    <-Prophecy->
    Back in Action
    RIP Junlar the Great Cleric. I will cherish our friendship and bond for all eternity.

Rift Disciple

If we die cause we weren't getting heals then you're not a good healer, if we didn't die, props to you.
    I mean HPS is nice and all, but like others have said, healer exams are pass/fail, we either get through it or we don't. As a chloro, in certain fights I can make my HPS go through the roof, it doesn't necessarily make me a good healer, if my reaction time and choices of skills for certain situations are wrong, who cares if my HPS was high?
    I would say a good healer is one who can make the most of the skills his spec offers in a given situation. Every idiot can heal through a tank and spank fight, but knowing when to stop and cast a big heal, when to use your CDs, when to use your instants, that's what makes a healer a good one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast