+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Warrior Soul Idea: The Skald

Telaran

Default New Warrior Soul Idea: The Skald

Hey everyone.

I've been bouncing around some ideas in my head on some possible new souls that might be fun to play. This whole post is just for fun and to share my thoughts, but feel free to comment and tell me what you think.

Warrior Soul:
    Skald (Name Subject to Change)

What I feel the warrior is missing most from their soul choices is a real support soul, and also a ranged option. However, since Bards and Archons already come with a slew of buff choices, and the Warlord soul already does have a small selection of their own buffs, my idea for the Skald soul would be ranged DPS class with a unique buffing system to set it apart.

While Warriors have something of a ranged option in the Paragon and Riftblade, the majority of the Skald's abilities would make use the bow/rifle. They would have ranged damage abilities and finishers that could actually shoot from 30m, and would deal a mix of physical and elemental damage, so that it could have synergy with either the Paragon/Champion or Riftblade damage types.

If regards to buffs, the Skald would make use of "Shouts" - short duration (some with instantaneous effects), group-wide buffs that would provide a benefit while also hampering and debuffing enemies in range. All shouts would share the same cooldown, and would cover some normally untouched values in regards to buffs. Here are some examples:

--------
    Shout of Confidence
    10 Energy 30 Meter Range
    Instant
    10s Cooldown

Instantly restores 25 Energy or 150 Mana to the target party member and any other party member within 30 meters. Removes up to 25 Energy or 150 Mana from enemies within 10 meters of the target party member. This ability is not affected by the global cooldown.
    --------
    Shout of Velocity
    10 Energy 30 Meter Range
    Instant
    10s Cooldown

Increases attack speed by 30% and casting speed by 10% of the target party member and all other party members within 30 meters. Decreases attack speed by 30% and casting speed by 10% of enemies within 10 meters of the target party member. Lasts 10 seconds. This ability is not affected by the global cooldown.
    --------
    Shout of Equilibrium
    10 Energy 30 Meter Range
    Instant
    10s Cooldown

Heals party members within 20 meters of the ally for xx over 10 seconds. Damages enemies within 10 meters of the ally for xx over 10 seconds. This ability is not affected by the global cooldown.
    --------
    Shout of Opportunity
    10 Energy 30 Meter Range
    Instant
    1 Minute Cooldown

Causes the target ally's next attack or spell cast to be a critical hit. Causes the next attack made against the ally to miss. Lasts 10 seconds. Cannot target the Warrior. This ability is not affected by the global cooldown.
    --------

The idea behind the Shouts would be to add a support feature ontop of some decent ranged DPS. Since the shouts are off the global cooldown, they could be maintained while continuing to build Action Points and dealing damage. As a result, you won't see better healing than a Bard, or more damage than a pure DPS class from going pure Skald, but they might bring some fun buffs/debuffs to the table and be a fun soul to mix/match with others.

There are a whole lot of possibilities with a soul like this, so I thought I'd share. I have a few other ideas for the other callings, and I may post them later if I get around to it. Keep in mind this is all just for fun, but feel free to criticize, and thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Elura; 06-19-2011 at 06:05 AM.

I think your idea is cool and all.... seems like your trying to bring a little dark ages of Camelot into our game.

Problem is the energy/mana Regen from the Skald would become required. Then you have fights like plutonus where a Skald would compleaty trivialize the fight due to draining pluto of his energy. The game is too far along to come out with something like this.

I could see an option like this come out in the paid expansion.
    Addiction - Tank
    11/11 HK - 5/5 GS - 5/5 RoS - 4/4 GP - 4/4 DH

Telaran

PS. After having posted this I just realized it is probably better off in the Suggestions thread, though I have no idea how to move/remove this post. Go me. ;P

You want dominator last skill and bard last skill combined and more powerfull?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by joker225 View Post
    You want dominator last skill and bard last skill combined and more powerfull?
    No, not really. The Bard Verse restores 750 mana and 75 energy over 15s to the entire raid, where I figure Shouts only effect the group, and the 25 energy is like getting one extra attack in. And the Dom ability removes 50 energy and negates regen for 5 seconds afterwards.

I suppose the cooldown of that particular Shout could be bumped up to represent its power, to a minute or so. It could also be really deep in the tree and require a heavy point investment to reach.

<shrug> It's all just theory anyway!
    Last edited by Elura; 06-19-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Spelling

on anouther note.

would you propose the loss of warlord ?

If you take Warlord away you loose some mighty important passives to tanking. 5 % dodge 5 % block 10 % armor 3 % dodge (from calls) 8 % dmg reduction ( + 3 for call ).

Like it or not we are balanced around warlord and every tanking soul would require a serious buff in the passives department.
    Addiction - Tank
    11/11 HK - 5/5 GS - 5/5 RoS - 4/4 GP - 4/4 DH

Rift Disciple

Not sure on the actuals on the theorycrafting, however idea seems sound.

The concept of a ranged warrior with some support is awesome.

Soulwalker

I, too, like the idea of a ranged warrior of some sort - so far (and my warrior is only lvl 22, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!) it seems like ranged weapons on a warrior are no better than a spare trinket or something, and are rarely, if ever, used. Mind you, I've discovered the same thing with the wand my mage has, so maybe it's working as intended...
    Not sure about the support soul idea - it does seem quite a bit like a bard, and Warlord does provide some very nice buffs anyway. I guess though, if we wanted to be able to kill stuff from a distance, we should roll something else
    Anyway, nice idea, some good research gone into it - I'd be quite interested in giving it a shot if it ever gets anywhere!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Elura View Post
    This ability is not affected by the global cooldown.
    No.

Too much stuff already 'not affected by global cooldowns'. They're GLOBAL cooldowns that aren't even global anymore.

Rift Disciple

I played a skald in Daoc

loved the class.

I had an idea, might seem kinda strange...

1) Add another rogue soul (No idea what it would be),

2) Make a bard type soul for each calling.

Rogue - minstrel, less defense, more support

Warrior - Skald, more defense less support

kinda messy idea I realize, more of a concept

Cleric - umm Preacher? lol, more defense, less damage, less support, more healing

Mage - ack... Hippie? less defense, more more damage, less support

Get chanting! I play a battlebard to try to play a skald... started a warrior also.. would love a skald
    Last edited by sandpaper3; 06-19-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Champion

My idea for a Warrior ranged DPS soul is different: Conqueror, styled after Spanish Conquistadors.

Historically, look at how Conquistadors worked.
    * Fought with crossbows and harquebuses at range, closed with swords or halberds.
    * Frequently wore plate armor to deflect the blows of fast-moving, light-hitting indigenous warriors. In fact, their conquests were largely based on this plate armor.
    * Often fought with heavily armored war dogs (i.e. could be a "pet class" soul, easily and accurately)

I grant you, Spanish cavalry were far more effective than their footmen counterparts, but nonetheless, they were Conquistadors, too.

I'm making this counter-suggestion because you're taking some serious liberties with what a "skald" is. Skalds, historically, were Scandinavian bards. They were perhaps a bit more battle-oriented than their English troubadour cousins, but they were nonetheless not known to wear plate armor or wield heavy weapons.
    Last edited by Ampere; 06-19-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ampere View Post
    I'm making this counter-suggestion because you're taking some serious liberties with what a "skald" is. Skalds, historically, were Scandinavian bards. They were perhaps a bit more battle-oriented than their English troubadour cousins, but they were nonetheless not known to wear plate armor or wield heavy weapons.
    Oh I most certainly did take liberties, no doubt about that, haha. I realize that historical Skalds were more or less poets, hence the whole "Name Subject to Change" notification at the start. I just couldn't really come up with anything better at the time of making the post.

As others have said, I used the term Skald due to their use in DAoC, where they were a party-buffing, ranged DPS class (who also had a pet, in their case). They also used 2H spears, but were a Rogue class in DAoC.

The mechanic of the Shouts themselves could even be changed to be from some other sort of implementation, such as from magical auras, or enchanted arrows/bullets. Rift-type enegies or powers could be used as well, but the Warrior already has the Riftblade and the Void Knight. Heck, it could even be a technological thing (such as Saboteur skills), though I don't really know how that would work, heh.

Some other names that could possibly work:

Warbow
    Skirmisher
    Bowsinger
    Hunter
    Battle Chanter

Just to name a few off the top of my head. I'm sure if I did a little research I could come up with something more appropriate, but thanks everyone for the criticism so far!
    Last edited by Elura; 06-19-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Gomba View Post
    I think your idea is cool and all.... seems like your trying to bring a little dark ages of Camelot into our game.

Problem is the energy/mana Regen from the Skald would become required. Then you have fights like plutonus where a Skald would compleaty trivialize the fight due to draining pluto of his energy. The game is too far along to come out with something like this.

I could see an option like this come out in the paid expansion.
    What paid expansion?! I am too broke to buy anymore!
    "Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory........"

Quote Originally Posted by fade2black View Post
    what paid expansion?! I am too broke to buy anymore!
    get a job!

Rift Master

Wouldn't work.. Two Skalds on opposite sides would cancel each other out because both the buff and debuff are the same. Plus I don't see Trion adding any more souls. Maybe AA abilities but not new souls.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast