+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift 2.0

AAA
    Telaran

Lightbulb Rift 2.0

What would happen if rift dropped the Class system? What if you could pick any 3 of the available 36 souls and make any character you so desired?

Would you ever cry for a Nerf? Would you complain about imbalances? Would the forums be the coolest thing to visit since that time you went to your Grandmas on your 8th Birthday?

If any private investor is interested in funding this idea please pm me.

Kind Regards,

Phone, aka Phoneguy, aka Aone.

currently Briarcliff.... DamagedPVP

Dropping classes solves nothing. There will always be that one build that deals more damage mathematically, and people will always call for it to be nerfed.

Sez

Welcome to the forums. This is a "fun" topic, but it has been discussed before.

Everyone would be Pyro assassins.

/thread
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Yeah that doesn't sound like an absolute nightmare to balance at all.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Welcome to the forums. This is a "fun" topic, but it has been discussed before.

Everyone would be Pyro assassins.

/thread

Nope

Justicar/Riftblade/Nigthblade

People think all offense first but real nasty stuff offense/defensive combo or offense/healing combo that works

Quote Originally Posted by Diay View Post
    Yeah that doesn't sound like an absolute nightmare to balance at all.
    More Balance than what we have now,You can't cry Pyro are unfair when you access to all Pyro skills on Warrior yourself.Certainly more interesting classes that we have now

Reaver/Necro/Cabalist
    Paladin/Justicar/Chlromancer
    Riftblade/Pyromancer/Nightblade
    Bard/Warlord/Archon

Screw balance no game has every had complete balance but when think about the fun combo and gameplay that could be have if the restriction on calling are released.

He's right guys. We should be playing Guild Wars!

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    What would happen if rift dropped the Class system? What if you could pick any 3 of the available 36 souls and make any character you so desired?

Would you ever cry for a Nerf? Would you complain about imbalances? Would the forums be the coolest thing to visit since that time you went to your Grandmas on your 8th Birthday?

If any private investor is interested in funding this idea please pm me.

Kind Regards,

Phone, aka Phoneguy, aka Aone.

currently Briarcliff.... DamagedPVP
    Guess you've been reading about "The Secret World" in production since that's pretty much what their MMO will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Remissus View Post
    Dropping classes solves nothing. There will always be that one build that deals more damage mathematically, and people will always call for it to be nerfed.
    I am going to repeat my earlier statement. This would solve nothing. There would, almost certainly become ONE build that everyone "has" to use if they want to even take part in anything competitive. If anything, classes need to be MORE distinct. Not less.

Rift Disciple

fact is, people would still whine because they have fallen behind and demand dungeons be nerfed to support their play style.

This is actually what I was expecting when Heroes of Telara was first announced. When souls were said to have dropped from world mobs. The current incarnation of Rift is not what I had hoped for and I will probably move on to guild wars 2 if their combat system turns out to be damage, support, and control as opposed to tank/healer/dps.

There will always be power builds, even in skill based games. But if there were no callings, then everyone would have access to everything eventually and could create 5 roles out of a thousand combinations.
    Last edited by Elth; 06-16-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Plane Walker

Default Just an FYI

Quote Originally Posted by KaiHeilos View Post
    He's right guys. We should be playing Guild Wars!
    I played GWs for 5 years prior to this (no WOW)

what might be being forgotten is the ability to counter.

When you can only bring 8 spells/abilities....and not 164 buttons.....you specify more, which can be easily countered if people all run the same specs.

Now to counter offense, you usually have to invest points into a non-dmg(or severely lesser) class which effects have a 30% chance of working anyway due to simple releases and immunities granted in a number of souls, and those spent points do not synergize with your Primary(typically)

Character creation in GW, IMO, is far more complex and unique.....synergies can be created through muliplte 2ndary classes and by picking 8 out of 500 spells/abilities that mesh well together.

Far more simple to play maybe....but more unique....as of now, you just get "what's the best PvP build"...and 40% run that, 30% run the 2nd best, 10% filp between the two, and the other 20% have no idea what they are doing.

My belief is that the souls should synergize regardless...not pigeon hole you into..if you spend points in this, then it's obvious that you'd have to spend points in that (ie Necro/Lock)....but who would ever run a Necro/Elem?.....why, because they specifically will not synergise.....that is "choice"?

But..But...one necro/lock is different from the other......Mine has consumption and his has dark fury....my pet has 10% more health, and his character gains 5% more charge....not that big of difference IMO
    Last edited by quicklikesloth; 06-16-2011 at 03:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread