+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Saboteur

Plane Touched

Default The Saboteur

mentioned here: http://www.tentonhammer.com/rift/han...preview-part-1

the Saboteur (a class that specializes in sneaking up to five bombs onto a target, then detonating them - preferably when the mob is appropriately loaded down with de-buffs).

kinda like the rogue / assassin system in wow / aion
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

I wonder what archetype it fits with. If it can be mixed with an assassin...with bombs.... that is a ninja. Kinda funny.

I don't know if I like the idea, but I will wait to see them play to judge.

I imagine it's a theif archetype with some debuffs and maybe elemental damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrocken View Post
    I imagine it's a theif archetype with some debuffs and maybe elemental damage?
    If they had a bomb that knocks a person out for a few seconds they could be an interesting cc option.

Listen all y'all it's a sabotage!
    "Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!"

Quote Originally Posted by Osias View Post
    If they had a bomb that knocks a person out for a few seconds they could be an interesting cc option.
    Yeah that's an interesting idea - different bombs for different scenarios.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of a class with the selling point of bombs in a fantasy MMO - but it is unique and has potential. Perhaps some purely DPS bombs? Poison gas bombs (DoTs)? Shrapnel bombs (minus defense)? possibilities are endless.

edit: Dwarves were introduced as the tinkerers of this game, right? Wonder if this is a racial class - assuming the bombs they're talking about are actual bombs and not some magic ability dubbed bombs.
    Last edited by Knives; 08-12-2010 at 01:51 PM.

this looks like it would be extremely fun, imo has to be not only a Rogue, but also a Defiant (technology)
    Greke- Sab/NB/Infl and RS/BD/Bard
    Magus Imperialis Magicus- Briarcliffe Server- PVP

Bombs? lol.. Interesting but sort of weird also...

I guess Goblin archetype (WoW) lol...

Ideally is sounds far out there... I can't imagine someone running around with a backpack full of bombs to attack mobs with.. I know I'm playing an unrealistic fantasy game but this sounds like something WoW would do... (dunno though, not insulting it, just sounds out there.. lol)

I really don't know how this will work out.. I sort of see a DoT like system for this... Anyone familiar with Assassin's pattern engraving ability in Aion? This sort of reminds me of what this might be about... Basically debuffs a target a lot (increasing ranks of debuffs also) then you set them off in the end for a lot of late damage... Helps with finishers a lot... Could be an interesting soul to mix with other rogue souls... I'm not sure at all how a full fledge 51 point Sabateur will play out... lol...

***Basically those unfamiliar with Aion, this is how it worked.. It was a assassin type class... They would attack and carve runes into the opponent which would debuff a player... The more runes you carve increases the debuff amount up to 5... You can then activate the runes at any point which do a number of things from snare, poison, dmg, or debuff the target in other ways (the more rune stacked the stronger the outcome of the type of rune on the opponent)... Only usually one type of rune could be stacks on the opponent at a time.. But the attacks of the sin usually was so quick that it could stack runes fast, detonate them to stun(aerial lockdown) then start a new stack for major dmg to finish them off while they were stunned and kill them by the time the stun was over... I only played a sin as an alt to around L30, wasn't my main but this is the way it worked from my understanding of it...***

The idea behind using bombs sounds just out of place.. I think they should call them Runemasters or something and steal the name from Aion... Sounds more fitting... Basically it was a magical heiroglyph carved on them.. Which sounds more fantasy to me than bombs...
    Last edited by DarkoneNeo; 08-12-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

As in TTH it was about sneaking up to an opponent and loedaing him full with bombs, my bet is on rogue calling and Defiant class.
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

Sounds like a trap class, I'm thinking D2 Assassin/WoW Hunter traps . My guess is it would function as a utility class (debuffs, CC) and maybe have some sort of AoE damage.
    Un-nerf snare please.

I actually do think it has a place in Telara.

Sure running around with a bag full of these isn't the smartest idea and the application of it sounds kinda out of lore (the fact that you can do it to multiple mobs without going back to town and stuff). But there are solutions to this problem.

To go to naruto for a bit of lore. Hey they have some good things you know. There is a girl who can summon weapons from a scroll, she prepares the weapons in a scroll and then the weapons are "gone", so they can't be triggered accidentally, because they aren't anywhere (or whatever lore they use for that part).

Thus if the saboteur summons them from another place, the risk is smaller. Or if he can summon them out of thin air. Sure, it's a bit of a catch, but the idea behind the class makes up for the random thing that's going on here.

It's just like my favorite class finally made it to MMO games . Harriers.

I'd expect traps, cc, dps, snares, stuns, silences, all kind of utility from this class. It is one of the rogue utility classes. And I really doubt this not being a rogue. The other classes we can talk about, even an assassin can be a magical based assassin (see shadowbane), but this has to be a rogue.

I was thinking the Saboteur might make for an interesting split puller. He could sneak into a camp of mobs and set bombs at strategic locations, and then detonate them in sequence to bring the mobs as his group is ready for them.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

With PAX right arround the corner (and apparently Sold Out) im hoping we get some more information on the class mechanics and what-not.

Im envisioning a debff/cc type of class with perhaps some burst dps, but the description given leads me to think it may not pan out like that.

So many possibilities for this class and with so little information its just hard to get a true grasp of it.

This soul, out of all the Rouge callings has me interested the most.

...Heres to dreaming for my awesome debuff/cc Rogue.

It sounds like their bomb mechanic is just another form of combo points.

Several classes build combo points in this game, including various warrior and rogue types.

I'd see no problem with this being Defiant Only as long as my Blade Dancer was Guardian only ;)

However, it would appear both sides will have access to all Souls at some point or another.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast