+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Split Stats - The solution to all the QQ?

Shadowlander

Default Split Stats - The solution to all the QQ?

Been thinking about the best way to solve most of the QQ about balance.

The opinions about mechanics not withstanding; one of the main problems arises from the fact that a skill balanced for pvp changes pve and vise verse.

change class X's dmg because it's to high in PvP and suddenly it drops to the bottom in PvE.

People on PvE servers who never had any intentions to PVP suddenly get nerfed because a tiny percentage of players on a handful of pvp servers are owning people.

It works the other way as well.

They decide that Class Y is doing waay to much damage in PvE so they nerf the entire class screwing the people who PvP with it.

It's impossible to change one aspect without screwing up the other. PvE and PvP are totally different and need to be addressed as such.

The only solution that seems to present itself is split stats for each skill.

Skill 1 does X dmg to an npc and Y dmg to a player.

This would allow you to tweak one without screwing up the other.

They already have this in certain places. A rogue's incapacitate comes to mind. it last 45 sec on a mob and 8 sec on a player.

Now i'm not a programmer, I've never made a game.
    I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement. Maybe they don't do it because it would be a nightmare to code...who knows.

But unless i've missed an angle here this seems like the solution to most (if not all) of the QQ.

Perhaps it's too late to incorporate this into Rift, but maybe a dev will carry this seed to the next game they make lol.

either way, just food for thought.

Shadowlander

wow not even a troll post...
    fail post is fail lol

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by RogueLdr View Post
    wow not even a troll post...
    fail post is fail lol
    Well...most of the things people "qq" about are already balanced. Oh, snap! That mage just hit you for several thousand! I wish mages were easy to kill; that might make it balanced...oh, wait....

And, make it a long cast! Oh, wait...

Ascendant

and how do you split healing?
    lets say you and a friend are exping, he pulls some mob and a rogue appears and start bashing on him.
    you start healing him, which kind of heal he get, the pvp one because he's got a rogue wailing on his *** or the pve one because he got three mobs doing the rumba on his gonads?
    Last edited by Ruizo; 06-15-2011 at 02:19 AM.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

The most .. sane way to fix all PvE vs PvP issues is to set instance modifiers acording to the type of instance.

No need to split stats on skills, no need to make special PvP/PvE skills all that needs to be done is set common modifier for the 2 types of instances (PvE and Warfront).

Of course at that point you can forget about "world PvP" but who does that anyway? In my opinion world encounters with players must be treated like fighting NPCs.

I seriously doubt that Trion will embrace this idea, although it is the easiest way to balance everything with just a simple tweak (and yes I am a software developer and been such for over 10 years now).

Don't troll me please, just think about what i wrote. All can have what they want and we can still have easy balancing of the PvP skills without messing with the PvE at all.

+ Reply to Thread