+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1.3 needs to improve melee combat

Default 1.3 needs to improve melee combat

The jumping exploit needs to be fixed. There is really no excuse for this to still be in the game. DR system needs a complete overhaul. The entire DR system seems very clunky and extremely lazy. Snares being on DR limits melee up time far too much. With the horrific valor buffs added how are melee classes supposed to compete with everyone else? The up time of a melee class is a very delicate thing. Swing too far in the "not enough up time to be effective" direction (what is happening) and melee souls don't get played. If Trion is turning this game into all ranged game in pvp I will play one of the million FPS out right now. The game was so so so much better in beta what are you guys thinking?

Shadowlander

I'm new to the game, but I feel ya man. Seems like it's completely pointless to be melee for any reason, other than a traditional tank. Other MMO's I've played had a system where melee damage was much higher than ranged to compensate for the obvious disadvantages of having to close the distance with the enemy.

I can't find any reason to build for a strictly melee oriented character as the game stands right now.

Have Trion even acknowledged the jumping exploits? :\
    Look at your post, now back to mine, now back to your post, now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine, but if you stopped being nonconstructive and dumb and started posting about something that makes sense, it could look like it's mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a page with the post your post could look like. Anything is possible when you post like me, and not like an idiot. I'm on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by PVStar View Post
    Not sure. They have to know about it a million times over.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ellej View Post
    Not sure. They have to know about it a million times over.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...sion&p=2593660

good news

Soulwalker

cant seem to edit my own post, anyway heres the quote

I checked with our engineers and we are actively working on the jumping exploits that are causing range issues with melee, hopefully that fix will be in 1.3 next week or shortly thereafter

-Gersh

its the bottom of the page

Shadowlander

"Channeled abilities used in PvP against player targets will now break if the target moves out of the channeling caster's range, or line-of-sight."

Stop complaining.

I also hope they fix the jump thing soon.
    Last edited by Gyeff; 06-13-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PVStar View Post
    Forgive me, but what is the jumping exploit? (I just came back to Rift from vacation)

I agree that melee combat is really unforgiving. If, as a melee character, you don't have stuns, your PvP experience will be garbage. Even if you do have stuns, it's still awful, especially against ranged characters.

I'm not sure what the right fix to this would be - I played a feral druid main in WoW (melee druid) and I am trying hard to think how exactly combat differs between these two games. Because I certainly don't tear my hair out when I am on my druid!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by empyrean View Post
    Forgive me, but what is the jumping exploit? (I just came back to Rift from vacation)

I agree that melee combat is really unforgiving. If, as a melee character, you don't have stuns, your PvP experience will be garbage. Even if you do have stuns, it's still awful, especially against ranged characters.

I'm not sure what the right fix to this would be - I played a feral druid main in WoW (melee druid) and I am trying hard to think how exactly combat differs between these two games. Because I certainly don't tear my hair out when I am on my druid!
    Feral druids eventually got infected wounds which was a snare applied from most of our abilitys in this game snare is on dr after 2 there immune thats where the big diff. between the 2 is (also some have multiple ways to break and/or become immune) that and the run speed for druids was really nice.

jumping exploit is bascially you jump and are put out of range of melee attacks cause your in the air 0_o theres also seems to be issues with stunning people in the air as well as on a incline.

I think a good fix would be all melee get a new ability called impale when someone jumps in front of us we hold our weapon straight up and they fall on it=instant death ;p

Quote Originally Posted by thatnameisinuse View Post
    Feral druids eventually got infected wounds which was a snare applied from most of our abilitys in this game snare is on dr after 2 there immune thats where the big diff. between the 2 is (also some have multiple ways to break and/or become immune) that and the run speed for druids was really nice.
    Even before we got Infected Wounds (WotLK) though, melee PvP in WoW felt "manageable" if you know what I mean. You raise a good point about run speed though. In Rift, I just find that as a melee character against ranged, my health drops way too fast before I can even get to them. And it's not like I can burst them down when I am in melee range of them, either. Something's gotta give.

jumping exploit is bascially you jump and are put out of range of melee attacks cause your in the air 0_o theres also seems to be issues with stunning people in the air as well as on a incline.
    So that's why all those clerics and rogues hop when I am attacking them. Gotcha, thanks.

I think a good fix would be all melee get a new ability called impale when someone jumps in front of us we hold our weapon straight up and they fall on it=instant death ;p

Soulwalker

[QUOTE=empyrean;2606267]Even before we got Infected Wounds (WotLK) though, melee PvP in WoW felt "manageable" if you know what I mean. You raise a good point about run speed though. In Rift, I just find that as a melee character against ranged, my health drops way too fast before I can even get to them. And it's not like I can burst them down when I am in melee range of them, either. Something's gotta give.

ya this is one of the problems i have as well, range seem to have just as good sustained and burst (sometimes better) than we do with the advantage of range and good escape as well as some defenseve abilitys as well.While we have...well no escape, no heals, no real defensive cd's.

*****ing aside if we had a few good defensive cd's i would be alot happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Abaaldulmani View Post
    I'm new to the game, but I feel ya man. Seems like it's completely pointless to be melee for any reason, other than a traditional tank. Other MMO's I've played had a system where melee damage was much higher than ranged to compensate for the obvious disadvantages of having to close the distance with the enemy.

I can't find any reason to build for a strictly melee oriented character as the game stands right now.
    Lol, the only melee that stand a chance in wfs are tank specs and shaman/justicar clerics. Everything else is marksman and pyro fodder while they pointlessly try to kill anything between the heals of clerics.

In rift, spec a tank for pvp to at least have the illusion you're doing something instead of dieing 5 sec after reaching the fight zone as a pure dps.

Soulwalker

I think what kills the melee is the overabundance of range. It is a kind of vicious circle actually.
    The less melee there are, the more they are likely to get "tab'ed" to death by all the range.

That and the fact that melee often have less mitigation cd than range.

Fun fact: did you know there are 17 out of 32 range souls ?

Melee is fun... its alot like Benny Hill chase
    Bajdovan - Rogue

What game are you playing?

Assassin/NB and champs are deadly if you are at least rank 5ish.

Now they changed Port of Scion and no zerg at bridge, melee pretty much dominates WFs.

If you are fresh 50 with no valor gear, anyone can kill you.

My fresh cleric alt dies to rogues within stunlock while a fresh rogue probably will kill himself to my rank 6 warlock.

Plus, rogues are really cheap class. If there is a chance they won't win, a smart rogue will just slip away and run...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpsmile View Post
    there is no way a mage could out dps a cleric in this game. sad to say but its true.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroburrito View Post
    mage - the garbage man, taking out the trash.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast