+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue or Cleric tank

Telaran

Default Rogue or Cleric tank

hey guys, so i have my warrior tank @ 50, full t2 and ganna start raiding with him. But during my off time im looking to level an alt. I tried out mage and i just cant stand playing anything but a tank type class. But im torn between the two remaining ones.

i was hoping people could give me some solid feedback on the difference between the two since i can not make up my mind on what one to play.

Thanks!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kryzen View Post
    hey guys, so i have my warrior tank @ 50, full t2 and ganna start raiding with him. But during my off time im looking to level an alt. I tried out mage and i just cant stand playing anything but a tank type class. But im torn between the two remaining ones.

i was hoping people could give me some solid feedback on the difference between the two since i can not make up my mind on what one to play.
    What I like about Rogues:
    - Mobility.
    - Consistent balance between magic and physical damage.
    - Coming from a WoW background Rogue tanks feel somewhat like a class I have never played before, unlike Clerics that feel somewhat like the WoTLK Paladin.
    - You don't need 10,000 specs to min/max (*cough* Warriors), meaning you can have the roles for other things.
    - Lots of (good) cooldowns in the standard spec.

What I don't like about Rogue:
    - Lacks an interrupt in any decent raid spec.
    - Damage at the start of the fight can be irritating until you get all your buffs up.
    - Rogues have (relatively) lower threat at the start of a fight due to having to apply buffs that aren't optimal for threat.
    - Trash tanking is a bit harder than Warrior. I find it okay these days though.
    - Combo points can be a pain for swapping targets (read: trash tanking).
    - Lacks an AE finisher in any decent raid spec.

What I like about Cleric:
    - Combat rez.
    - Can heal and relieve pressure from the healer/s.
    - Can go in to "off healing" mode when not tanking.
    - More cooldowns than some Warrior specs.
    - Spammable AoE.
    - Has a couple of high threat ranged moves.
    - Interrupt.

What I don't like about Cleric:
    - Doesn't feel as original (coming from playing WoW).
    - Sucks against magic damage bosses unless you stack an insane amount of resistance (fixed next patch).
    - Lack of mobility.
    - Lacks single target threat (fixed next patch).
    - Lack of AoE threat (although it isn't that much worse than a Rogue).
    - Frontal AoE... sometimes makes picking up mobs hard.
    - Can play all three roles.
    - Cooldowns can be somewhat lackluster for some of the current raid bosses compared to Rogue and Warrior.

Personally I'd rather play a Rogue. I just find them a lot more fun with all the teleports and leather wearing and such.
    Last edited by Haldern; 06-13-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Cleric tank is more fun and easier to do. Kinda low on tools at early levels.

Tanked RoTF for the 1st time on a 15 justi/shaman tanak. Was squishy and had 0 aoe threat but was fun.
    Btw, did you know the justicar's aoe healing can be used as an aoe threat move ? Never though I can use healing aggro as tank.

Champion

i wouldnt say that cleric magic resistance is being fixed next patch, its going to be alot better but still no where near magic specced warriors or rogues though.

they are also getting a pulling skill that will make it so you dont have to do LOS pulls on every encounter or spec really high into shaman to get a charge. these 2 things will make them alot more well rounded.

all in all they are gonna play pretty differently from each other, i suggest you try them out.
    Shieldy 60 Warrior
    Gloredhel 60 Mage

Rogue is infinitely better than Justicar, even after 1.3. Justicars will still be behind other tanks as far as magic mitigation goes by around 10-15%.

For leveling (1-49), it really doesnt matter.
    50 Cleric - Silkweb Defiant - <1.21 Gigawatts>

None. warrior Tanks. <3
    "Dont Run, Youll Just Die Tired"

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Amorascus View Post
    Rogue is infinitely better than Justicar, even after 1.3. Justicars will still be behind other tanks as far as magic mitigation goes by around 10-15%.

For leveling (1-49), it really doesnt matter.
    The fact that I can put out so much hps as a cleric tank (usually around 700hps) makes up for the fact that I take a bit extra damage than a rogue vs magic targets. I've tanked every boss except alsbeth with ease. There are no problems on fights like Greenscale where everyone screams that clerics cannot tank them. I have no extra resists from gear, nothing of the sort. I simply know how to time my cooldowns properly to make them most effective.

Cleric tanks are far superior to warriors and rogues as far as utility goes. We offer much more to the group than those two tanks do. Almost do the point that you need 1 less raid healer if you have a cleric tank (which we frequently practice). So anyone that says cleric tanks are inferior really just don't know how to play the class. Yes, Rogue and Warrior tanks are easier to play and be "good" at, but if you know what you are doing cleric tanks are much better than both of them.

Rift Chaser

I have all three classes at 50.

I leveled the warrior last, I don't think I honestly would have kept tanking on my rogue and cleric had I done the warrior first.

Cleric's feel more traditional in a way, similar to the warrior except with a bunch of heals.. comparing it to the WoW paladin tanking style is fair tbh.. positioning is quite important but then in the next patch they're getting a cd that makes groups of ranged mobs run into melee distance with them, which will make tanking on them quite a bit easier.. they don't frontload a lot of threat though, they generate a lot over time but it makes the first few seconds a bit sketchy if the dps are trigger happy.. which since you've played as a warrior you'll totally realise that most pug dps are, it doesn't feel like an issue until higher level though and even then it's not bad.

Rogue tanking, you get a lot of teleports.. most of which you wont use too much as the shield doesn't stack with the buff you're maintaining.. it makes kiting easy.. but then kiting most bosses that need kiting isn't that hard in the first place.. you get a few tricks, like locking a position that you can teleport to even if it's out of los and doesn't have a clear path to it.. and yeah there's a few bosses that this is obviously good for in order to break los at the last second before a cast goes off on you.. you have great all round magic and physical mitigation, but it doesn't appear to scale the way warrior mitigation does and warriors still have higher physical or magic mitigation if specced correctly for it (just a warrior needs say 3 tank specs in contrast to a rogue needing 1)

After playing a warrior tank though, it feels like a warrior has an endless bag of tricks that he just needs to go hit up the warrior trainer to rearrange once in a while.. you'll miss a whole lot of stuff in the warrior trees when you play the others, I find myself on those characters thinking 'I wish I had xyz ability right now for this situation' a lot and I've never felt that way on the warrior.

I'd say.. try the rogue because it's very different and you might love it or you might feel it's a bit gimmicky and annoying maintaining buffs constantly and then if that doesn't take then play a cleric, which feels a lot more like a warrior in playstyle, yet completely different because of the healing component.. justicar could have easily been a warrior soul imo, except it would have been too overpowered when combined with the other warrior souls.

The only thing with playing a cleric, even if you want to tank constantly, people will always assume you can and might heal instead.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Yavi View Post
    The fact that I can put out so much hps as a cleric tank (usually around 700hps) makes up for the fact that I take a bit extra damage than a rogue vs magic targets. I've tanked every boss except alsbeth with ease. There are no problems on fights like Greenscale where everyone screams that clerics cannot tank them. I have no extra resists from gear, nothing of the sort. I simply know how to time my cooldowns properly to make them most effective.

Cleric tanks are far superior to warriors and rogues as far as utility goes. We offer much more to the group than those two tanks do. Almost do the point that you need 1 less raid healer if you have a cleric tank (which we frequently practice). So anyone that says cleric tanks are inferior really just don't know how to play the class. Yes, Rogue and Warrior tanks are easier to play and be "good" at, but if you know what you are doing cleric tanks are much better than both of them.
    It's hard to say that cleric's offer more utility in their tank specs than warriors. Aside from the healing warriors can offer a ton of benefits in their respective tank specs as well.

Prophet of Telara

yeah warriors have the most utility as tanks with tools as spotter's and buffs from warlord or with magic damage party wide shields as VK and various pulls and stuns. Their self healing is good, not the best, but good. They also have the best aggro around even in aoe or st.

their "problem" is that they have to use different specs depending on the boss, but if specced correctly have amazing overall mitigration as well.

rogues have some tools like aoe pull, the best mobility thought various blinks, and good overall mitigration (physical+magic may be the best overall, but cant spec for more physical or more magical)

their aoe aggro is a bit wonky and they lack serious selfhealing.

clerics have the best self-healing, a combat rez that is kinda situational due to placement, and some little aoe healing. they have the worst mobility since they cant pull or charge (although the pull thing is kinda fixed in 1.3) and their aoe, although spammable, is frantal only and requires a bit of practice. They have good physical mitigration but pathetic magical, this will also receive a little bosst in 1.3 but 10%might not be enough.

+ Reply to Thread