+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Class Selection Troubles

Soulwalker

Default Class Selection Troubles

Hello,
    I've been playing the game for awhile and can't really commit to any one class. Mostly due to that I look at all the souls and start to feel overwhelmed. I select one that looks appealing, then it tends to fizzle out... IMO anyways. If people could post their experience with the classes and souls it would really help me choose a class to play. I know if I don't say this there will be "well what interests you in a MMORPG?" questions. Really, I like to play everything generally. But this game is so expansive compared to WoW where you picked a class, and followed the cookie cutter build. In WoW I enjoyed playing a prot/arms warrior, sub rogue, fire/arcane mage, holy/s/disc priest, prot/holy pally, and other combinations of classes and specs. Really what I'm looking for is something that isn't slow leveling, has decent survivability, and no pets(must be an after-effect of tanking for huntards in WoW...).
    Any and all advice is appreciated,
    thanks for your time,
    Mulcibur

I find that it helps to know what you enjoy playing. Just break it down.

1. Do you prefer melee or range?
    2. Do you like to handle aggro or heal?
    3. Do you like to be in the thick of the battle or quietly helping out in the background?
    4. Do you like repetitiveness or prefer to think on your feet?
    5. Is most of your game play solo or duo or group?
    6. Do you prefer questing over dungeons or raids?
    7. Do you find yourself exploring, collecting or hanging at the auction?
    8. Which is priority to you - crafting or questing?
    9. Do you enjoy Warfronts (PvP) or prefer fighting NPCs?
    10. Are you a loner or like to be involved with a guild helping to put on events, teaching noobs, giving opinions, searching for information for others?
    11. Are you a completest or would you prefer just running dungeons and/or raids?

The above questions will help you figure out what archetype you would enjoy and selection of your favorite souls in different configurations for your 4 (soon to be 5) roles.

Reading what archetypes I play (warrior, cleric, mage) doesn't help you decide what you like to play since we are different people. I so dislike the notion of one character does everything. Reminds me of the old saying "Jack of all trades, master of none." I'd rather specialize and work my own challenges within the confines of the game.

I enjoy being a warrior tank. I don't expect to have a lot of dps - just enough for a bit of survival. My job as a warrior is my battle cry, to rally my crew, plan the attack, set the mobs to the advantage of my crew mates and keep the attention of the mob(s) any way I can with an arsenal at my disposal. If I solo quest, I have enough dps to handle situations presented to me if I play it smart. I might not be the fastest killer, but as long as I can progress, I'm fine with that.

I enjoy being a cleric because I like to help others. It's a good feeling to save someone's butt even if they aren't aware of it. I'm the backbone of a group because without me tending to their boo-boos, they would be deader than deer guts on a forest floor. If I can loop a few dps hits to help out, that's fine, but my forte is doctor/nurse. When soloing or even as a duo, I can give a bit more umph to the challenges. I can increase my survival skills and my dps and still be able to heal myself as well as my partner. I don't expect to handle 3-4-5 mobs at the same time, nor do I expect my dps to be so high, I can swipe a hole through mobs in a NY sec. I'm a healer first. That's why I play a cleric.

I enjoy being a mage - oh, the pleasure I get from being a damage dealer is awesome. Kill or be killed is the mantra. I want torture killing Dots, build up to a huge finish and slaughter the masses in a NY sec. It helps to have a bit of crowd control and even a pet to aid my skills. Yeah, death and I know each other well, but so, too comes the glory of the strike.

I don't enjoy being a rogue. I am not the sneaky type with a bunch of tricks up my sleeve. Attacking from the rear isn't my kinda fun. I want the enemy to know my face.

I don't select a character/roles/souls based on popularity or what a guild wants. I base it on what I want to play. Then I take my time and get to know my character and what it can do. I am not fond of rotation macros. To me, they take the fun out of "thinking on my feet" skills. For some classes, if I'm playing a mage and in a raid, yeah, I'll use my rotation macro for various situations to get the maximum amount of dps possible. Other than that, it really isn't necessary except for those heavy into maximizing dps every time even if it really doesn't matter.

Some classes require thinking on the feet and less macro reliance since the needed attacks/heals/buffs/debuffs may vary depending on the situation.

No matter which way a player goes, the most important thing is - are you playing YOUR game or someone elses?

So there you have it. Hope it helps. Good adventures to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulcibur View Post
    Hello,
    .......But this game is so expansive compared to WoW where you picked a class, and followed the cookie cutter build. In WoW I enjoyed playing a prot/arms warrior, sub rogue, fire/arcane mage, holy/s/disc priest, prot/holy pally, and other combinations of classes and specs. Really what I'm looking for is something that isn't slow leveling, has decent survivability, and no pets(must be an after-effect of tanking for huntards in WoW...).
    Since you prefer to continue cookie cutting with what you stated, look into the following choices for archetypes/roles.

Warrior: Champion/Paragon/Riftblade; Pally/Reaver/VK or VK/Reaver/Warlord
    Rogue: Assassin/bladedancer/marksman or Bard/Riftsalker/Sabo
    Mage: Pyro/Archon/Chloro or Chloro/Lock/Dom or SC/Lock/Arch
    Cleric: Inq/Just/Sham or Sham/Inq/Sent or Sent/Warden/Pur

Remember you can have 4 (soon 5) roles - so you have a lot of leeway as to different souls or configurations. As example You can for Cleric hane INQ/JUST/SHAM for one role, then SHAM/JUST/INQ for a second role - just depends on what you want to emphasize for your abilities/spells - where to spend your points.

Use a soul builder and READ all the spells/abilities in several configurations until you achieve what your goals are for that particular role.
    Last edited by Jorun; 06-13-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Choosing the right class is often a dilemma for me too in RPG games, so in Rift I made a 'natural selection' progression.
    I started with Warrior, Cleric and Mage and played a rotation of 2 levels each.
    I left the warrior around lvl 18, then left the mage around lvl 23 and decided that my main char would have been the cleric. Mage will be my 2nd after i ding 50 with cleric.
    Doing the same quests with different approaches allows me to select wich one I prefer, so it helps me in deciding wich class i find more attractive at the moment (mage and cleric were a very very close call for me anyway).
    So if you already have rolled some char you may try this too.

Why not just enjoy playing multiple classes? I enjoy playing all of the classes and it will enhance your gameplay and skills in pvp. Variety is the spice of life my friend.

+ Reply to Thread