+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: too few tanks?

Plane Walker

Default too few tanks?

with the LFG tool I notice that i'm always chosen as tank as priest while i also queue as healer too.
    and i see lots of people here having truble with long queue times and this seems to be no problem for me.
    this suggests to me a shortage of tanks ( at least on my shard).

one of the things i see is this :
    during a raid a guild often only used 1 or 2 Tanks Ratio 10:1
    i see players in my guild go like wel why would i invest in tank role and gear i wil not make it to main raid tank anyway this makes the player to tank ratio more like 20:1 for T2 capable tanks

while the LFG tool hopes for a tank ratio of 5:1 to make groups

many people don't want to invest to much in tank gear if they know their probebly won't be tanking in raids, then they rather gear for the role they wil probebly have in raid instead of tank.

for instance a priest might be more inclined to get healing gear with his plaques as he knows he wil probebly be raiding as healer later on.

maybe sonthing like :
    if you already have the caster T1 chest you can boy the tank T1 chest at reduced price.

Rift Disciple

*Looks confused*

im always looking for DPS..

Plane Touched

Tanks are also an issue on Steampike, however I play one myself, so finding a group is not too terribly hard. Although sometimes when both queuing for T1 and T2, then I can stay in the queue for quite a while. After quickly partying up with a guild healer we could get a group right away. So it would appear both tanks and healers are in short amount sometimes.
    Known as Ylassa@Gelidra :P

Telaran

I think the tank and even healer shortage is more due to people not wanting the responsibilty of keeping the group alive rather then raid spots. Most people just want to sit back and click buttons. So I doubt many more would play tank even if plaque gear was free. But I could be wrong.

There are probably more tanks than you think. Most decent ones just don't run with pugs. It isn't worth the headache of poor dps, communication, and gear for the measley number of plaques given atm. Not to mention that every pug dps that isn't a mage is going to roll need on their tank drops. Which, really, they should be if they are going to have to tank due to the shortage.

Add in the fact that most of us that are serious about tanking already have ours sitting, retired, in full T2, waiting on the 2 T3 geared in the guild to step down or try and gear an alt. I know I haven't even changed the 3 tanking specs on mine since they revamped some of the souls.

The next time some DPS opens up carping and whinging "how the **** do you not know how to pull that mob" or "more heelz pleeze!!!" contemplate whether or not this has something to do with why people don't queue has healer or tank.

I really believe this depends on the shard. The shard I'm on, I was in a group that consisted of a tank, healer, and support -- we waited on two DPS for an hour.

Soulwalker

On Argent the wait is too long and im tank so is not this the problem, seems really we miss people and much server are empty.

I don't think it's that the servers are empty but rather that many individuals either lack the knowledge that the LFG/LFD tool exists, or they are just not using it.

There is never any mention ingame that such a tool exists. I found it my pressing buttons one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Spryt View Post
    I think the tank and even healer shortage is more due to people not wanting the responsibilty of keeping the group alive rather then raid spots. Most people just want to sit back and click buttons. So I doubt many more would play tank even if plaque gear was free. But I could be wrong.
    I don't know about you alll, but I love tanking on my warrior. I love the responsibility of keeping all the aggro on me and making sure my group doesn't take damage.

You're the leader of the pack and you decide what pull is next.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Motes View Post
    Ah, if only that were true in a pug!

Shadowlander

I don't know about you alll, but I love tanking on my warrior. I love the responsibility of keeping all the aggro on me and making sure my group doesn't take damage.

I'm a healer, this guy is a REAL TANK

Would probably be a hell of alot more about if it wasnt so boring to roll an alt in this game. I've been levelling a warrior, and after about 1lvl a day Im already bored of him... So end up back on my main and do PVP.
    Last edited by Greatorex; 06-09-2011 at 05:34 AM.
    < Invictus >
    Nerissa - Cenii - Nausicaa - Elix
    Cleric - Warrior - Mage - Rogue
    Icewatch EU

Telaran

If only this were true

I love tanking on my warrior and usually get LFD groups quite fast. But I think the majority of people just want to pew pew stuff and then blame the tank/healer when they pull in adds with "smart target". When I play on my mage as dps/support it usually takes ages to find group.

Quote Originally Posted by Spryt View Post
    If only this were true

I love tanking on my warrior and usually get LFD groups quite fast. But I think the majority of people just want to pew pew stuff and then blame the tank/healer when they pull in adds with "smart target". When I play on my mage as dps/support it usually takes ages to find group.
    It is true, however I do mostly play with my guild mates and we are on vent all the time. I have run a few pugs but I always let them know that if they pull it, they tank it and advise the healer not to heal them if they do. If there is a tool in the group, they will pay for it.

I have tanked in every mmo since Lineage 2. I love tanking and it never gets old to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast