+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior or Rogue for Tank/Mdps?

Soulwalker

Default Warrior or Rogue for Tank/Mdps?

I'm new to rift and I want to tank, with having the option to go melee dps for pvp. Coming from WoW, the warrior Soul seems the best traditionally for tanking, but I've heard rogues can be very good tanks in this game.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Soulwalker

Any input?

RIFT Community Ambassador Sodahelm's Avatar

Neither Rogues nor Warriors have any problem tanking any content in the game. This is true from the moment you hit level 50 through the final raid bosses.

Pick whichever most appeals to you, either in playstyle or what they offer while not tanking.

Rift Disciple

depends if you plan on raiding or not, and if you're going to be the MT or not, rogue is the best tank over all and is needed to tank greenscale, at least if you want to make it easy on yourselves rogues have much better magic damage resistance. however with the upgrades to VK, warrs arent so far behind in the magic mitigation anymore.

dps wise probably warr takes the edge there, rogues are just more gear dependant. but warrior dps is greatly due to BM's pet. so if you dont want to **** with a pet go rogue.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sodahelm View Post
    Neither Rogues nor Warriors have any problem tanking any content in the game. This is true from the moment you hit level 50 through the final raid bosses.

Pick whichever most appeals to you, either in playstyle or what they offer while not tanking.
    Cool, great that they are both viable. Think I might give rogue tanking a try just to see what it's like. On a side note, it's great to see you here cider I have watched so many of your WoW tankspot encounter vids

RIFT Community Ambassador Sodahelm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 420MySTiC View Post
    depends if you plan on raiding or not, and if you're going to be the MT or not, rogue is the best tank over all and is needed to tank greenscale, at least if you want to make it easy on yourselves rogues have much better magic damage resistance. however with the upgrades to VK, warrs arent so far behind in the magic mitigation anymore.
    As another piece of advice to the OP, if you read anything like this, it's always from someone who has no clue about Warriors. Warriors have always been fine tanking Greenscale and any other magic burst raid bosses.
    Last edited by Sodahelm; 06-05-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Rift Chaser

greenscale has even been tanked by clerics.

not that they're the optimal choice for the encounter, but honestly, look at the three tanking classes and just choose which you think is the most appealing as they all will get buffed and nerfed a million times.

what I can say about tanking however, is that rogues and clerics have 1 tank soul which the vast majority of builds for tanking as either of them involve putting 51 points into that soul and then working out the best place to put the other 15.

Warriors however, have 4 tank souls and a few dps souls with kind of tanky perks.

an intelligent warrior is always going to be able to custom build a spec for whatever he is going to tank if needs be, which means that a warrior will always be viable for whatever encounter you're looking at.

if all I wanted to do was tank for my entire career in rift (and dps now and again), I would absolutely choose warrior.

Telaran

If you're going to be tank first, I recommend a warrior. The versatility of the calling makes the job incredibly fun. Rogues are great tanks, but overall warriors just have more toys to play with. I suggest you look at the tanking souls and find out which one is more attractive to you.

As far as dps goes, rogues have more versatility. They can go ranged to pet to melee, and they are all efficient as far as damage output goes. Additionally you can go support if you don't really want to pay attention and such. Warrior dps is limited to a cat while all other warrior builds give about 100 dps less. Hopefully that changes in 1.3 though.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Golurk View Post
    I'm new to rift and I want to tank, with having the option to go melee dps for pvp. Coming from WoW, the warrior Soul seems the best traditionally for tanking, but I've heard rogues can be very good tanks in this game.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    That is a good question Gorlurk. I am a warrior and raiding greenscale and etc, etc. I would say go rogue because the class can:

1) melee dps
    2) Stealth
    3) Range dps
    4) Tank
    5) Heal Support

This is versus a warrior who can:

1) melee dps
    2) Tank

Now if you look at the warrior tree you will see four souls for tanking. The rogue can basically do the samething as warrior but with only one soul. They also have more versatility. They can tank Greenscale or anything else a warrior can in the game. Rogues have equalivalnet or more dps at both ranged and melee. They can also heal and go support with Bard.

PVP for warrior is a horrible experience. You bascially need a full time healer to do the same damage and make the same contribution as a solo rogue. A warrior also has less surivavilty and damage then a rogue in PVP. A cleric is the samething bascially. Really it is more of an illogical joke imo.

In summary, if you want to be lackluster to horrible in PVP. If you want to only have two roles in PVE and be out damaged and outanked by other classes that can also heal and do ranged dps then choose Warrior. If you want to enjoy the game then go rogue or something else.

Trion designed it this way... lol. Amazing really.

Ascendant

I forgot to add something. Sorry. For Warrior PVE DPS you only have one choice: Champ/BM. Now the warrior class does have paragon and rift blade but these do not perform as well as Champ/BM. So for Warriors you can melee dps, and it does not suck, but you only have one spec choice. Basically, the class has a bunch of souls that suck with only one combo that works. This on top of the fact Warriors have no reall ranged dps. Compare this to rogue or cleric and well... huge difference.

Seriously man, I have played this game since Beta and for some reason Trion is so out of touch with the classes and Warriors specifically... just don't do it to yourself lol. Try going 51 points into paragon and use Flurry. It is like some kind of toture.

Rift Disciple

I play a Rogue and don't play a warrior. So this is from my experence and what I've seen (So everything is my opinion) -

Tanking - Both do a very good job. Certain fights rogues do better, other Warriors.

Warrior - Good snap agro, better agro control, more tools to manage agro.

Rogues - Better mobility, lots of fancy tricks, but they need time to build up their damage reduction, so they take a lot of spike damage at the start of the fight. I believe they're also harder to run as tanks, just due to all the options they have and stuff they need to do.

As a Rogue tank, I find I can do just as good as a warrior, even better in some cases, except when facing more then 4+ targets or getting adds to spawn. This is more limited due to having only 2 threat generating AoE abilites and the most used, has a 8 second CD on it.
    It takes a fair amount of practice to be a good Rogue tank and you need your party to work with you. ie. You'll get people that like to spam AoE as soon as you attack a group of monsters. The Rogue tank then has a desicion to make. Let that person grab agro while you get your attack/defence buffs up and on, or start spamming your AoE attack/tuants and take a lot of damage.
    Warriors can get away with spamming their AoE taunts right away due to being in plate and having more damage mitagation.

Melee DPS
    As things stand now, there is one type (Beastmaster) of Warrior build that blows all rogue builds away for melee DPS. Otherwise there's a number of different rogue builds you can go for melee DPS and still do good.

WARNING: There are a lot of melee unfriendly fights. Warriors have no real option to do Ranged DPS at this time.

Rift Disciple

Forgot to add -

It's also harder finding good rogue tanking gear. Don't think I've seen any Rogue tanking Essence or Rogue specific tanking trinkets.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mavik View Post
    Forgot to add -

It's also harder finding good rogue tanking gear. Don't think I've seen any Rogue tanking Essence or Rogue specific tanking trinkets.

theres many good rogue tanking lessers/greaters, theres some awesome lessers you can buy with inscribed source stones, that have endurance, dodge, and a resist (depends on which vendor you get em at) also from raid rifts theres 2 amazing greaters i can think of, 1 from air raid rift which adds a chance to do like 160 some odd damage to 5 targets (sooooo nice for rogue to help with aoe threat gen) also 1 from earth which on dodge increases targets threat to you and increases armor by 5%

and just about all the raid rifts have some nice lessers that give like 2x endurance, 2x dodge, and 2x resists to said rift type, thing is warriors feel the need to roll on these even though theres like twice as many lessers from inscribed sourcestones with block as there is dodge...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sodahelm View Post
    As another piece of advice to the OP, if you read anything like this, it's always from someone who has no clue about Warriors. Warriors have always been fine tanking Greenscale and any other magic burst raid bosses.
    whatever bro, did you even read what i wrote? upgrades to vk give warr up to 40% magic mitigation, and ya a warr COULD tank gsb b4 1.2, but not nearly as effective as a rogue could...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 420MySTiC View Post
    whatever bro, did you even read what i wrote? upgrades to vk give warr up to 40% magic mitigation, and ya a warr COULD tank gsb b4 1.2, but not nearly as effective as a rogue could...
    And you also said "rogue is the best tank over all and is needed to tank greenscale." which is flatly false.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    I forgot to add something. Sorry. For Warrior PVE DPS you only have one choice: Champ/BM. Now the warrior class does have paragon and rift blade but these do not perform as well as Champ/BM. So for Warriors you can melee dps, and it does not suck, but you only have one spec choice. Basically, the class has a bunch of souls that suck with only one combo that works. This on top of the fact Warriors have no reall ranged dps. Compare this to rogue or cleric and well... huge difference.

Seriously man, I have played this game since Beta and for some reason Trion is so out of touch with the classes and Warriors specifically... just don't do it to yourself lol. Try going 51 points into paragon and use Flurry. It is like some kind of toture.
    So Wars have one main DPS spec. Guess what rogues have? One main Tank spec.

Wars are tanks, rogues are DPS. That is what their class is designed to do. Is it really such a shock that going outside the design of the class limits your options?

+ Reply to Thread