+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Healer: Cleric or Mage?

Default Healer: Cleric or Mage?

I am puzzled by who is actually supposed to be and actually is the healing class in Rift.

As a mage I am used to being a damage dealer but in groups they really want you mainly as a healer. Or you can go half half and be neither a great healer nor a great damage dealer.
    I like my pure mage but groups don't really want me, so do I have to rather become a healer?

I have a cleric who is nothing much of either. I am not good enough as a damage dealer if compared to a warrior for instance, but I am also not much of a healer if compared to a healing mage, so what is this class actually for? I am levellign the cleric because he happens to be my rune crafter but it is painful.

The class I really really enjoy is my mage, but with that one I actually solo all the time because I am not popular due to not healing.

I am just puzzled : who is the healer class? What is the cleric there for?

but I am also not much of a healer if compared to a healing mage, so what is this class actually for?
    Clerics can heal just as well as mages, and vice versa.

I have seen alot of Mages DPS just as well as Warriors.

On my server, itís usually the Clerics who are main healing and Mages as support or DPS. I don't like to say this, but maybe you are doing something wrong?

Check out the class forums, there is a plethora of information from people on how to better yourself as a healer or dps'er.

What level are you? What are your souls and specs? Lets start there and see if the community can help ya out!

i DONT know but from what ive gathered it seems clerics are the only ones that can heal for endgame raids but up till them mages can heal dungeons

Quote Originally Posted by Demmo View Post
    i DONT know but from what ive gathered it seems clerics are the only ones that can heal for endgame raids but up till them mages can heal dungeons
    We have a few mages in guild that can heal T2 just fine.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

I usually prefer chloro healing over cleric healing, they bring a lot of utility to the group and a cleric simply cant match their constant high heals stacked with group healing and the fact that they bring dps to the fight. Admitedly they are not very flexible and not the best big aoe healer. Its usually a mix of clerics/mages healing, using the Chloros for the MT and Clerics for Support/Raid healing.

Faeblight * Progression Raiding * Family Friendly
    http://www.axiomguild.net
    TODQ[4/4] FT[2/4] EE[1/5]

Plane Touched

Lately nearly all T2 groups I have been in have been:

3 rogues DPS
    1 cleric or mage healer
    1 rogue or warrior tank

Often it is 4 rogues and 1 cleric. Which is great for me when I'm playing the cleric and only one to roll on caster gear, but not so much fun.

Telaran

Generally mage is better, but you can stack more clerics for main tank healing in raids. Stacking 2 chloros for maintank wont double the healing, but 2 clerics work just fine.
    Sugram@Bloodiron

Soulwalker

The real question is : what's your goal ? You talk about a group, I would assume you talk about T1 & T2, but beyond that do you want to PVP or join a raiding guild ?

I have healed as a chloro every T2, and Greenscale's Blight. I have also tried a few warfronts as a chloro, here's my feedback :

A chloro can solo heal any T1 or T2, they indeed bring more DPS than a cleric would, so it definitely helps clearing your dungeon faster. BUT if you're with a severely undergeared tank, you might not be able to keep him alive at all. Healers often have that possibility to increase their HPS by burning through their mana bar : a chloro cannot do that. We offer a constant stream of healing, with little to not burst healing (Essence Surge is a nice "OH SH*T" button, but the debuff it causes makes it far more situationnal than it should).

In a raid setting, you can only have as many chloros as you have tanks : Synthesis buffs do not stack. Therefore, while they're a great addition to any raid, there's also a limited need for chloros.

Now if you plan to do some PVP with your healer, know that currently chloros are terribad in warfronts. Most of your single target healing comes from Nature's Touch on your Synthesis target, which makes you very vulnerable to a target switch. Also, Natu're's Touch is a 2.5sec cast, that's just begging to be interrupted ! Then there's a subject often discussed on this board : Lifeging Veil can (and will) be dispelled.
    Dame Angharradh, Storm Chaser of Celestius, Cestus EU

Default Clerics

Clerics for sure.
    No matter how dark the night, morning always comes. And our journey begins anew...

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Protea007 View Post
    I like my pure mage but groups don't really want me, so do I have to rather become a healer?
    Ignore everyone who thinks you should play a specific role when you prefer to play some other way. It's those guys that have the problem, not you. All "classes" can do multiple roles, and people need to get used to this, and not be so damn narrowminded.

Plane Touched

Bard

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

I am happy with my mage as pure mage and damage dealer. It is the Cleric who is the problem.
    I usually play a mage and also play a healer in games. So I would really like a good healer Cleric but the healing spells all seem to take too long and have long respawn.
    On the other hand to just keep levelling and defend myself whilst soloing, I tried both, melee and casting but am struggling with both.
    I am now level 41 in Cleric. Since I prefer casting my Cleric is mainly Inquisitor with Sentinel thrown in
    For healing I have a pure Sentinel, i.e. most of my points are in it and a few in other souls.

I don't play PvP but do t1 and t2 dungeons. I also like to heal people I come across when I can see they are in trouble.

It seems Mage has it all, they have the feign death feature which is phantastic in dungeons because you can feign death and then afterwards res everybody, cleric does not have that and should really.
    Mage has the res during battle feature which the cleric does not.
    Mage also has aoe spells that actually work, clerics aoe's are so useless you die whilst channeling.

I don't really see any really good features cleric has got. I just would like a really good healer that can do some good but also can defend yourself when I have to solo.
    Oh well, I am 41 so as long as I can get to 50 I guess I will be ok to just be my runecrafter and play my mage as main and for fun, and my Rogue for fun as well, because the Rogue is real fun too.

Thanks for the help guys.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Protea007 View Post
    I am happy with my mage as pure mage and damage dealer. It is the Cleric who is the problem.
    I usually play a mage and also play a healer in games. So I would really like a good healer Cleric but the healing spells all seem to take too long and have long respawn.
    On the other hand to just keep levelling and defend myself whilst soloing, I tried both, melee and casting but am struggling with both.
    I am now level 41 in Cleric. Since I prefer casting my Cleric is mainly Inquisitor with Sentinel thrown in
    For healing I have a pure Sentinel, i.e. most of my points are in it and a few in other souls.

I don't play PvP but do t1 and t2 dungeons. I also like to heal people I come across when I can see they are in trouble.

It seems Mage has it all, they have the feign death feature which is phantastic in dungeons because you can feign death and then afterwards res everybody, cleric does not have that and should really.
    Mage has the res during battle feature which the cleric does not.
    Mage also has aoe spells that actually work, clerics aoe's are so useless you die whilst channeling.

I don't really see any really good features cleric has got. I just would like a really good healer that can do some good but also can defend yourself when I have to solo.
    Oh well, I am 41 so as long as I can get to 50 I guess I will be ok to just be my runecrafter and play my mage as main and for fun, and my Rogue for fun as well, because the Rogue is real fun too.

Thanks for the help guys.
    I really think you do not know the cleric souls at all if you are having a problem.

1. They have a battle rez, and its in the same tree you "claim" to have as your pure heals.

2. Sent as a pure healer is one of the harder ones to keep a MT alive. Your burst heals are somewhat lower compared to Purifier, and the rolling hots of a warden.

3. Cleric melee dps and caster AE are pretty awesome if done properly, which is my guess you are not.

For T1's and T2's i'd say mage is slightly better. My mage is 36 chloro 30 archon and it's a breeze to keep everyone healed through those instances.

For anything beyond... the cleric is the winner. Especially in warfronts, where mages aren't much good at all

Shield of Telara

Depends on the situation. Both can do the job but sometimes you might prefer one over the other. Both with their own pros and cons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast