+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: Worried about the balancing

  1. #16
    Ascendant Dinadass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazebel View Post
    Well if everyone runs the same so called OP build, I'll run the build that counters them, and then all those people can cry about my build being OP.

    See how it works both ways, it doesn't matter what build you run, you will allways run into your counter build. But hey let 99% run the same build, I'll be the 1% that beats them then.
    Yeah basically this. There are enough abilities in this game that are almost direct counters to certain other souls/strategies that I'm not too concerned. Plus the different strengths you can acquire via the PvP souls will change things quite a bit.

    There might be a few things that are so overpowered that there really isn't a reliable counter, and it's this sort of thing that I'm sure Trion will step in and fix.

    <Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

  2. #17
    Ascendant Dinadass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shi7an View Post
    There's no such thing as counter the OP build, otherwise your build would be the OP one and everybody would go for your build instead. Lol.
    I'm getting the impression that you don't know how rock-paper-scissors balancing works.

    <Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

  3. #18
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazebel View Post
    But then I run another build that counters the build I was running.
    So basically what you are saying is the game is balanced. Which obviously isn't true just by reading Scotts comments.

  4. #19
    Champion of Telara Jazebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    There might be a few things that are so overpowered that there really isn't a reliable counter, and it's this sort of thing that I'm sure Trion will step in and fix.
    Yeah that's why I'm not worried about it.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

  5. #20
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    I'm getting the impression that you don't know how rock-paper-scissors balancing works.

    No, you don't know what being "worried about the balancing" (name of the topic) means, if the game is rock-paper-scissors it's pretty much balanced since there's no OP class.

    but here I'm talking about the game having an OP class that breaks that rock-paper-scissor rule and kill all the other classes. understand or should I draw? You guys are not understanding the meaning of OP class.
    Last edited by shi7an; 01-06-2011 at 07:52 AM.

  6. #21
    Champion of Telara Jazebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shi7an View Post
    So basically what you are saying is the game is balanced. Which obviously isn't true just by reading Scotts comments.
    I think you need to reread Scott's words then, he said that at one point a build might be unbalanced, untill someone else finds a build that trumps it. It's up to YOU, ME and all the other players to find those builds and come up with the right counters. We have the tools in our hands, learn your souls and use it.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

  7. #22
    Rift Chaser Kristov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Computer Desk
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Your balance arguments are off anyway. There's simply no way to completely balance a game.

    Even if you balance classes 1v1 perfectly (which has never and never will happen), people are going to cry because they get rolled by larger groups. People will cry because that's what some people do when they lose.

    Constantly trying to balance is just a waste of resources. Instead how about a game that tries to be fun...

    The Forgotten
    home | application | telarapedia

  8. #23
    Champion of Telara Jazebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristov View Post
    Your balance arguments are off anyway. There's simply no way to completely balance a game.

    Even if you balance classes 1v1 perfectly (which has never and never will happen), people are going to cry because they get rolled by larger groups. People will cry because that's what some people do when they lose.

    Constantly trying to balance is just a waste of resources. Instead how about a game that tries to be fun...
    I'll be having fun looking for a powerfull build and if someone comes up with a counterbuild, I'll go back to the drawing boards, and revamp my build to counter his. That's all part of the fun of having the soul system.

    For once in this game you aren't stuck to 1 build, but numerous builds, yet people don't understand the concept yet on how the soulsystem truly works.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

  9. #24
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shi7an View Post
    That's ******ed. So what's the point of having 32 classes when everybody is just gonna switch to the same OP class/build during pvp? Basically the pvp will be always against the same build, since all these countless builds you can make are useless and not balanced. Tsk this is disappointing.

    So it doesn't matter the builds that everyone are doing right now since later on everybody is gonna stick to the most OP build.

    I rather much this game have 10 balanced classes then 32 unbalanced classes since 75% of them won't be used in pvp due to unbalancing.
    One build should not be OP against everything though. If it is we need to test this in beta and get it changed. What i was saying is you can switch your build to be better against a certain type of other build.

    I dont really know what souls are best against others since i haven't pvp'd much but as an example. A Riftblade kills your ranger, so you switch to nightblade because it is better against a riftblade and you kill him. He then switches to void knight to kill your nightblade. you then switch to assassin to kill his void knight , and so on and so on.

  10. #25
    Rift Chaser Kristov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Computer Desk
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazebel View Post
    I'll be having fun looking for a powerfull build and if someone comes up with a counterbuild, I'll go back to the drawing boards, and revamp my build to counter his. That's all part of the fun of having the soul system.

    For once in this game you aren't stuck to 1 build, but numerous builds, yet people don't understand the concept yet on how the soulsystem truly works.
    Agreed.

    Still, the game isn't going to revolve around balancing the classes and it doesn't need to. If they continue pushing new souls out regularly (as they have said they will) we'll have so many permutations that finding the 'best' combination will be fruitless anyway.

    The Forgotten
    home | application | telarapedia

  11. #26
    Champion of Telara Jazebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzio View Post
    One build should not be OP against everything though. If it is we need to test this in beta and get it changed. What i was saying is you can switch your build to be better against a certain type of other build.

    I dont really know what souls are best against others since i haven't pvp'd much but as an example. A Riftblade kills your ranger, so you switch to nightblade because it is better against a riftblade and you kill him. He then switches to void knight to kill your nightblade. you then switch to assassin to kill his void knight , and so on and so on.
    Like some of us already pointed out, if one build truly is OP, they will step in, if they don't that might mean two things:

    1 they don't care.
    2. there is a build nobody found yet

    And I'm rooting for number 2. I'm guessing the devs know the soul system better then any of us, so once again I'm not worried yet.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

  12. #27
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazebel View Post
    I'll be having fun looking for a powerfull build and if someone comes up with a counterbuild, I'll go back to the drawing boards, and revamp my build to counter his. That's all part of the fun of having the soul system.

    For once in this game you aren't stuck to 1 build, but numerous builds, yet people don't understand the concept yet on how the soulsystem truly works.
    If it can be countered it's not an OP build, and if all classes have a counter then the game is balanced. You don't seem to understand what an OP build is yet, it's a class that doesn't have a counter until the devs fix it, a class that can kill any other classes. That's what I'm worried Rift will have, since Scott doesn't seem to care much about balancing on a game that has 32 classes lol.
    Last edited by shi7an; 01-06-2011 at 08:08 AM.

  13. #28
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristov View Post
    Your balance arguments are off anyway. There's simply no way to completely balance a game.

    Even if you balance classes 1v1 perfectly (which has never and never will happen), people are going to cry because they get rolled by larger groups. People will cry because that's what some people do when they lose.

    Constantly trying to balance is just a waste of resources. Instead how about a game that tries to be fun...
    I agree there is no perfect balance. I think Trion's appraoch to the problem is a little better though, it gives you a few more options. I'm also hoping it leads to less of the big nerfs you see in other games.

  14. #29
    Rift Chaser Kristov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Computer Desk
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzio View Post
    I agree there is no perfect balance. I think Trion's appraoch to the problem is a little better though, it gives you a few more options. I'm also hoping it leads to less of the big nerfs you see in other games.
    Or complete class redesigns... ugh. I hated that.

    The Forgotten
    home | application | telarapedia

  15. #30
    General of Telara Sheilina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Kristov! Kandra here from beta
    Your friendly neighbourhood cleric ;)

    /sorry for the derail
    Kandra, DawN's Level 50 Defiant Nurse in Chain (Blightweald)
    Master Runecrafter / Master Outfitter / Master Butcher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts