+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nub Question - Unsure of what class...

Default Nub Question - Unsure of what class...

Hey all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I did try to ask this in the "Newcomers" section, but didn't really get the response I was looking for. Hopefully asking here is okay

I just got the game over the weekend, and having a little trouble choosing a class to play. Personally, I genuinely enjoy playing support roles, and I'm all for PVP. I love CC, tanking, debuffs, healing, buffs, etc. I'd say the order of my favorites would be CC/debuffer, then tanker, and lastly a healer. Reading around on the forums, looks like there is a shortage of all of these! Great!

So I love playing CC classes the most. However, I find that most games do not have a dedicated CC/Debuff class. DEFINITELY one of the things that got my attention in this game was the possibility of playing a Dominator/Warlock/Archmage. Is this an effective PVP spec for mage?

Unfortunately, most "Tanks" characters in most MMORPGs don't do much in PVP. Sure they take forever to kill, but there is no "taunting" or any real reason to beat up a tank, when you can just ignore him and kill sqishies or healers. Is this game any different? Is a tank-spec'd warrior viable in PVP?

For the above reasons, I usually find myself playing a healer in most MMOs. What would you all suggest for this game? Warrior? Cleric? Mage?

Sorry about all short essay, I didn't want to just hop on the forum and ask "So what should I be?!"

Too Long Didn't Read:
    - Is Dominator/Warlock/Archmage or Tank Warrior viable/useful in PVP?

Thanks All,
    Junp
    Last edited by Junp; 05-31-2011 at 05:21 PM.
    If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches. Rainer Maria Rilke

Ascendant

PVP tanking is pretty bad IMO at the moment for warriors. This is coming from Warhammer where pvp tanks were really useful and well-done for the most part.

The best PVP tanks right now are clerics.

For CC, mages are the best by far in a larger sense. They also have good support and heal options, except if you're healing the buff stripping can be bad. CC is affected a lot by the diminishing returns which may affect how viable it is for you. You don't see a lot of Dominators like before 1.2.

Warriors have pretty good realistic CC in the form of aoe fear right now but I would expect that to get nerfed at some point. (I'm a warrior and I think it's OP)
    Raelyn <The Granite Guard> R40 Warrior @ Seastone
    Tomoka <The Granite Guard> R40 Cleric @ Seastone

Quote Originally Posted by Junp View Post
    ... Is Dominator/Warlock/Archmage or Tank Warrior viable/useful in PVP?...
    Dom/Archon/Arch could be a good choice if you like to buff, debuff and CC. Mages don't tank though and I saw you mentioned you wanted to tank as well. My best recommendation would be to roll a cleric. They can heal, main tank, off tank, ranged DPS and melee DPS effectively. Rogue tanks are a blast as well and the bard is a great support/off healer.
    Hamcat Elora Vishten Selara Tadlos Hamacus Felonia Jenkins Jones Hamelora Nelvana Shambala Port Koliak and my GIMP Tunarri
    Altaholics Anonymous poster child. But one time or another every PvPer on every shard has died at least once by my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Dom/Archon/Arch could be a good choice if you like to buff, debuff and CC. Mages don't tank though and I saw you mentioned you wanted to tank as well. My best recommendation would be to roll a cleric. They can heal, main tank, off tank, ranged DPS and melee DPS effectively. Rogue tanks are a blast as well and the bard is a great support/off healer.
    Thanks for the input guys

It's not that I'm looking for a tank to do heal/support/debuff/cc/tank/dps/everythingatthesametime. I was really just listing the types of things I enjoy doing. definitely if a Dom/Archon/arch would be a strong debuff/CC/buffer for PVP...I might just have to stop leveling my Cleric and roll a mage xD

Anybody else have any opinions?

Thanks again,
    Junp
    If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches. Rainer Maria Rilke

Ascendant

Trying to play a Dom in the current CC environment with diminishing returns would not be very fun IMO
    Raelyn <The Granite Guard> R40 Warrior @ Seastone
    Tomoka <The Granite Guard> R40 Cleric @ Seastone

Cleric inquisitors have 2 forms of CC one an ae fear on a 1 minute timer (which is a blast to pop off) and the other a spammable 8 second confuse.

Clerics really don't offer much in the of way support unless you count silence, cleanse, and ae group heals while dpsing. They really don't have much in the way of buffs/debuffs compared to a mage or rogue either.
    "Overall we want the various callings to be competitive with each other in their comparative roles. There isnít a mandate that Rogues do more damage than Warriors or that Mages be the best ranged damage in the game. Ideally we would like to see players with equivalent skill, gear, planar attunement, buffs etc be equally effective at damage, tanking or healing." - Kervik

The latest major patch introduced diminishing returns for all CC related abilities. The window is 15 seconds from the first cc spell cast.

This means that when you first cast a cc spell on an enemy player, it goes for the full 100% duration. The next cc spell you cast on that same player will go for 50% of its duration. Any cc spells cast on the enemy player after the second cc spell will not work at all, and no cc spells will work again until the 15 second timer starting from the first cc spell cast is up.

This has essentially made dominator builds near useless, although the window was originally 24 seconds and has now been cut to 15 as mentioned.

However each class has a pvp soul, and the 0 point ability is a 'break free' ability which frees the player from all forms of cc and makes them immune to all cc for 5 seconds.

Because of all this, dominator is a shadow of their former selves.

The other thing to note is that if you are a pve person, most of the dominators abilities will not work on bosses, essentially ruling out the use of dominator as a viable spec. Even if you do cc non boss mobs, everyone will just aoe them down, breaking any cc you have in place. There is currently no need for cc in pve, let alone dominator cc.

The support roles are clear. As a mage, you can heal/offheal with the chloromancer soul, or buff/debuff with the archon soul. Archons arent really needed in anything except 20 man raids.

For most of the content, you're looking at your basic tank/heals/dps needs. Support doesnt really come in until 20 man raids, and even then thats only a small portion of the game.

Your best bet for support is to jump in as a bard. They can be pretty nifty, and as a rogue you always have the option to tank, ranged dps or melee dps.

+ Reply to Thread