+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Glass Cannons

Soulwalker

Default Glass Cannons

I have only played a mage/warrior/cleric to about level ~20, but why does my warrior feel like a glass cannon compared to my mage? Isn't that fundamentally wrong?

Shadowlander

What type of warrior did you roll? My Paladin feels pretty sturdy and I am by no means an awesome player.

From what I've experienced, you're only as squishy as your soul and skill selections make you. Some are certainly more potent at soloing than others, and you might want to check the warrior forums for some friendlier builds.

I'm not sure I can diagnose what exactly is happening, but when I played a Warrior (got her to about 30) I didn't find her squishy at all. I was using Champion/Riftblade/Beastmaster at the time so I guess the pet helped a lot, but my boyfriend's Warrior is...Champion/Riftblade/Paragon I believe? And he's had no problems with squishiness. I have only played a Mage to about level 15 and found it much squishier.

What are you finding you're squishier in? PvE or PvP?

Shadowlander

Pyromancer is a glass cannon. Loses 9% HP AND takes an additional 10% damage.

Of course there are survival talents you can take as well to offset this.. but usually if you're a Pyro you've already decided you want the damage.

That said it depends on your playstyle and preference. I like big numbers, so Pyro appeals to me. However if I want to solo elites I'll switch to Necro/lock even though I never really cared for DoT classes.

I'm sure there are more survivalist warrior builds that can make you less glassy while not becoming a full blown tank.

Rift Master

Yes, warrior DPS specs in PvP get kited/murdered and in PvE have to sit down to drink every other mob. Mages/clerics do not have this problem and can faceroll through anything, Rogues get a pet that can actually keep agro + insane sustainability in solo PvE with 13 points into riftstalker, though melee rogues still get the finger in PvP until later on.

So yeah, it's not surprising. At lower levels, playing a warrior is probably easier if you use a sword+shield and something like paladin + beastmaster, because the extra damage of 2-handers isn't noticable at all until halfway into the game.

Playing my mage I really felt like playing a glass cannon (pyro).
    Rogue, well, underpowered and utterly needs reconstruction of souls.
    Cleric feels invincible and dps output is amazing too, but not for me.
    Warrior, now this is interesting, the damage feels that of a mage and survivability of a cleric.
    Since they announced the free server transfers, I started leveling a warrior on a higher population server (since mine is low population ALL the time). The lower micro and more strategic gameplay compared to rougue, and not to forget much higher viability is just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    From what I've experienced, you're only as squishy as your soul and skill selections make you.
    This is the most important thing to remember. It's also important to remember that some souls "bloom" later, and personally I've found this to be true for the pure DPS warrior builds. Before 30 or so, warriors without a shield are less sturdy than you'd expect and don't do that much more DPS than those with a shield.

Later on, yeah - you can rip things apart nonstop and have no problem. But in the 10s and 20s? Not so much.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by FuntCase View Post
    Playing my mage I really felt like playing a glass cannon (pyro).
    Rogue, well, underpowered and utterly needs reconstruction of souls.
    Warrior, now this is interesting, the damage feels that of a mage and survivability of a cleric.
    Since they announced the free server transfers, I started leveling a warrior on a higher population server (since mine is low population ALL the time). The lower micro and more strategic gameplay compared to rougue, and not to forget much higher viability is just awesome.
    lol, warriors take more effort to play in solo PvE than rogues. Rogues get a ton of cooldowns and more sustainability.

I was ready to rage quit my warrior quite a few times due to the squishyness. It's great for killing lower level mobs but I eventually settled on reaver/tank specs for killing same level content.

Xsi

Quote Originally Posted by FuntCase View Post
    Huh? So you like cleric. You "feel" powerful by having strong DPS and strong survivability. You can tank just as well as a warrior (when you get the build set up). Is it because you start with a class name starting with the letter "C" ? I don't get it.

Here's a thought: Select cleric, name your character "Warrior". Profit.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

Telaran

Default Warrior low level squishy? hum no

Don't know what you guys been smoking. I got a lvl 21 warrior who is champion/reaver/beastmaster and honestly im far from squishy. Also, with a good two-hander, i do loads more damage than with a one hander + shield. The pet also helps big time, especially now that he can aggro better with his tanky skill, but even before that, he could do some nice dps to improve mine.

Even with 2-hander i had no problems with mobs 2 level above me. like 2-3 of em at a time so your skill repartition must not be too good or something.

Ascendant

Paladin and going sword an board helps a lot of class combos be significantly less squishy.

I find it works well with both Riftblade and Paragon.

Paragon - with paragon you get an insane number of off GCD attacks - I made a BM/Para/Pally going 26/20/20 and it could mow down mobs very fast. Suxors at pvp though.

Riftblade - eventually gives you a strong AOE and its damage is elemental - RB and Pally go very good together. Very durable. RB seems to dish out a ton of damage despite using a S/B, which IMHO is fantastic. In pve can often kill a mob before it gets to you using your spears. Sweeping Strikes + Shock or Elmental Burst is very tasty. I use one of Taugrim's builds RB/Pal/VK for pvp and found it equally effective at pve, so it replaced 2 slots and I dumped my BM/Para/Pally build.

But yeah, the 2her specs are very squishy and need looking at.
    Last edited by solarbear; 05-31-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Abaaldulmani View Post
    What type of warrior did you roll? My Paladin feels pretty sturdy and I am by no means an awesome player.
    Yea, you're like a metal squirt pistol!

Recently I have been playing a Beastmaster/Champion/Riftblade She is now lvl 21, soloed all the time and had to barely stop for drinking.
    I don't feel her squishy, although you may need to think before rushing in a pack of mobs, wanting to slaughter all at once I am looking forward to see how does it work on higher level, but now it just seems to be fine.

I had difficulties with stromcaller on low levels, though

I think playstyle is the key - if you need more survivability just change your souls for more protection.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast