+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ok so someone help me figure out how damage reductions are calculated.

Default Ok so someone help me figure out how damage reductions are calculated.

I have:

5% Fire reduction from fire resists.
    15% fire reduction from Fire and Death Attunement.
    15% damage reduction from Rift Barrier.
    6% damage reduction from Exceptional Resiliience.
    14% damage reduction from valor.

and I had also popped Twilight Shelter for 80% damage reduction.

Then I got one shot by a 5k Fulminate.

The pyro did not have the red ball.

halp!priz!

I guess what I'm asking is; Was this really such a massive crit to still be able to one shot me even with all those cd's up?
    Last edited by Skyline; 05-30-2011 at 09:43 PM.

You have been... gershed.
    A PRO QUOTE BELOW:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    You seem to be happy with Eradicate. I'm glad. The longer it stays in, the better. It's a non-threat spec. You're there to Purge things. I can avoid that by either making sure you're focused first, to which you have no answer, or I can go Pyro or SC and let you Eradicate all day.

Positive you weren't purged at some point?
    I don't even know if Twilight Shelter is purgable, just noting the obvious
    Last edited by Clades; 05-31-2011 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clades View Post
    Positive you weren't purged at some point?
    I don't even know if Twilight Shelter is purgable, just noting the obvious
    nope wasn't purged.

It was in scion right outside chapel, just me and the mage while everyone else circle jerked on the bridge.

Soulwalker

i have been wondering if pyros spells go around any type of damage reduction, valor resists etc because at rank 5 i still get nuked that hard on a regular basis. Either the class is completely broken or the coding is

Xsi

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I have:

5% Fire reduction from fire resists.
    15% fire reduction from Fire and Death Attunement.
    15% damage reduction from Rift Barrier.
    6% damage reduction from Exceptional Resiliience.
    14% damage reduction from valor.

and I had also popped Twilight Shelter for 80% damage reduction.

Then I got one shot by a 5k Fulminate.

The pyro did not have the red ball.

halp!priz!

I guess what I'm asking is; Was this really such a massive crit to still be able to one shot me even with all those cd's up?
    Items with +Spell Focus remove the chance to hit and the resistance bonus on your character sheet as well. A p6 mage will remove all your resistances to the point of you not really needing to have any. The only thing puzzling is a Fulminate crit that hard with Twilight Shelter buff up even with a fully buffed mage with trinket use and squirrel bonus. Twilight Shelter definitely was not up or not applied at the time the Fulminate hit.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Xsi View Post
    Items with +Spell Focus remove the chance to hit and the resistance bonus on your character sheet as well. A p6 mage will remove all your resistances to the point of you not really needing to have any. The only thing puzzling is a Fulminate crit that hard with Twilight Shelter buff up even with a fully buffed mage with trinket use and squirrel bonus. Twilight Shelter definitely was not up or not applied at the time the Fulminate hit.
    Regardless if Twilight Shelter was up or not, 5k is too much. I remember when titan's strkie was one shotting people in much lesser gear and warriors saying "armor pen is bugged". So, where are the MUCH anticipated pyro nerfs?

Plane Walker

TS was not up, 200% sure about it.

pro

As a pyro i really dont see my damage being decreased on anyone except warriors and even then i think they pop something because if i see them first i can easily burst them down but if im spotted first my 800-900 non crit fireballs go down to 400-500.And even when i or other mages pop nedra's essence most skills from other classes start hitting for numbers less than 100 but fire spells still do 200 or so. So i would have to agree with the fact pyro doesnt follow the rules of DR.

pro

Quote Originally Posted by chadicus View Post
    Regardless if Twilight Shelter was up or not, 5k is too much. I remember when titan's strkie was one shotting people in much lesser gear and warriors saying "armor pen is bugged". So, where are the MUCH anticipated pyro nerfs?
    uhmm i hope you guys realize pyro isnt going to get nerf its the only mage soul follows the rule glass cannon. and i think we all agree that its a really big cannon i personally am fine with being 2 shotted bc it rarely happens to me and i can do it to others. My advice is if you see a mage that has pyro armor on run/stealth or pop cds if you have to burst them down because i promise they can be killed quite easily i wouldnt mind getting a slight nerf not anything major just for a little survavabilty. because i hate in a 2v1 either i have to pray for a cinder proc or fulm is up because when ever i try to cast fireball it gets interuptted.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    uhmm i hope you guys realize pyro isnt going to get nerf its the only mage soul follows the rule glass cannon. and i think we all agree that its a really big cannon i personally am fine with being 2 shotted bc it rarely happens to me and i can do it to others. My advice is if you see a mage that has pyro armor on run/stealth or pop cds if you have to burst them down because i promise they can be killed quite easily i wouldnt mind getting a slight nerf not anything major just for a little survavabilty. because i hate in a 2v1 either i have to pray for a cinder proc or fulm is up because when ever i try to cast fireball it gets interuptted.
    I really dont want to play pyro but I am forced to.

Necrolocks dots are weak and only a cleric played by a monkey while the monkey is afking would die to necrolock. Neddra's Essence/Shadowlofe aka our 3 min cd survival cd gets ***** by 1 single eradicate (mm) or purge (inquisitor).

Ever since the introduction of eradicate, my chloro/lock usefulness is simply terrible. I think it has something to do with rogues being the most played callings.

Necro/Chloro is the same as chlorolock, cept you die faster.

Ele/SC/AM decent at times most of the time you die before you can finish setting up electrify stacks.

Everything else without at least 31pts in warlock you get ***** by assassian rogues before you can react, or get out rDPS'ed by MM.

Pyro/AM at least I can kill someone before I die. And is pretty much the only spec that get enough burst to take out walking god mode r6 clerics. (usually with the wings otherwise pray for some crits).

If they are gonna nerf pyro dmg then they better take a good look at our other souls.

Do people still play dom? I overwrote that spec 2 days into 1.2.

Edit: back to the topic, just tested my fulminate HIT my fellow buddy for 400-500 with twilight shelter on. Around 2k without it. TS is working fine.
    Last edited by WarUltima; 06-02-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chadicus View Post
    Actually, it would appear that mages have their own armor pen bug. Focus, the magic equivalent of Hit, doesn't just reduce the chance of a spell "miss", meaning it's resisted. It also is ignoring resists, meaning "magic armor". Hit does not ignore physical resistance because it's meant to result in fewer misses, dodges, parries, and blocks, yet Focus ignores magical resistance while also avoiding magic being resisted (meaning, the spell misses).

If Focus was fixed, pyros would suddenly fall in line, possibly to a comparable level that warriors did after the armor pen fix in Paragon. While resistances need to be made more available in general, especially to DPS warriors since they lack the utility and defenses of other callings' melee souls, there definitely seems to be a bug in that Focus is penetrating resistances rather than reducing the amount of spells being resisted.
    An Experiment In Design - Deioth's Warrior Soul Revamps - More In The Works
    Beastmaster - Paragon - Warlord Coming Soon

Please Click, Read, And Respond! Thank you!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Deioth View Post
    Actually, it would appear that mages have their own armor pen bug. Focus, the magic equivalent of Hit, doesn't just reduce the chance of a spell "miss", meaning it's resisted. It also is ignoring resists, meaning "magic armor". Hit does not ignore physical resistance because it's meant to result in fewer misses, dodges, parries, and blocks, yet Focus ignores magical resistance while also avoiding magic being resisted (meaning, the spell misses).

If Focus was fixed, pyros would suddenly fall in line, possibly to a comparable level that warriors did after the armor pen fix in Paragon. While resistances need to be made more available in general, especially to DPS warriors since they lack the utility and defenses of other callings' melee souls, there definitely seems to be a bug in that Focus is penetrating resistances rather than reducing the amount of spells being resisted.
    Focus is intended to reduce magic resistance. Focus is not the exact same as Hit.

+ Reply to Thread