+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The simplest soul to start with?

Shadowlander

Default The simplest soul to start with?

Hi folks, first post, and just started the game yesterday. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the class possibilities in this game. I've created a few characters and gotten up to about level 8 or so. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by all the possibilities, so I'm wondering what is the most simple soul to start with.

I'd like to be survivable, potentially viable for group play, somewhat unique, but with a fairly intuitive soul that doesn't require a ton of buttons and very specific attack patterns to be decent. I'd also like the ability to aoe somewhat.

I'm coming from City of Heroes where I'd build tanks that could take on 25+ mobs simultaneously, and aoe them to death.

Tried marksman, paladin, necromancer, among others just to see what it's all about. I would also like to be able to shoot with a gun, even if it's just for pulling purposes.

Thanks for any help!

Pyro

A PRO QUOTE BELOW:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    You seem to be happy with Eradicate. I'm glad. The longer it stays in, the better. It's a non-threat spec. You're there to Purge things. I can avoid that by either making sure you're focused first, to which you have no answer, or I can go Pyro or SC and let you Eradicate all day.

Sozu's Ranger build, 2 buttons only. Kills up to 4 mobs at one go, solo mobs 3 levels above you.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Star View Post
    Sozu's Ranger build, 2 buttons only. Kills up to 4 mobs at one go, solo mobs 3 levels above you.
    This is by far one of the most survivable builds. Easy as well; however it is in no way unique.
    Undecided

Plane Walker

if you go rogue start with ranger and use the pet. Keep the boar pet through 30 if you want. its viable all the way a long.

The pet will tank and you can pew pew to your hearts content.

Quote Originally Posted by XEshamX View Post
    if you go rogue start with ranger and use the pet. Keep the boar pet through 30 if you want. its viable all the way a long.

The pet will tank and you can pew pew to your hearts content.
    Yes, greater boar can last till 50, and follow sozu's rotation, the dps is very, very nice.

I liked Justicar for this. It's the Cleric tank. You can combine it with melee damage, ranged damage, heals, or any combination.

Quote Originally Posted by xaed View Post
    Pyro

Pyro is horrid for leveling and without support is pretty mediocre in PvP.

Rogue and Cleric are the 2 easiest to level and PvP with.(Warriors are stupid easy to PvP with but require support so this might not be a good choice unless you know you will be running premades constantly).

Mages are hit or miss but are pretty good in PvE and PvP a lot of the class selection is based on personal flavor or knowing what you're premade group/guild will need.
    "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."
    Albert Einstein
    Ovgan<FUN> Sunrest

Shadowlander

Thanks for the responses folks. I ended up rolling a Paladin warrior and am having a blast with it so far. Not too many buttons, and I get the joy of wearing heavy armor. I also can use a gun to pull, so all is well in the universe.

Soulwalker

I started on a justicar last thursday. I've found it to be pretty easy to play. Definitely survivable. Can fill a tank role in groups. Very easy to macro together the vast majority of your skills. (Or go 1-2-3-3-3 if not.) The damage output might not be as high as some other builds, but for low-end purposes I wouldn't call it terrible, either.

Soulwalker

Paladin is pretty bad for levelling as warrior. (low dps compared to champion + riftblade)

unfortunately this soul doesn't become viable untill mid-30's but it does everything you want in a build

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...easons-(videos)

its a cleric melee build that is basicly invulnerable against hordes of normal mobs, the only limit is how many you can pull at once before they leash back

Soulwalker

Necro/ Lock :-)

Heal yourself and pet and drain health to get mana. never have to rest and just keep going wash rinse and repeat

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Abaaldulmani View Post
    Thanks for the responses folks. I ended up rolling a Paladin warrior and am having a blast with it so far. Not too many buttons, and I get the joy of wearing heavy armor. I also can use a gun to pull, so all is well in the universe.
    Hey there, glad you are enjoying the game!

I would recommend you try out investing into Reaver once you have 8ish points in Paladin (this gives you 10% block from talents, a shield imbue for 5% block and 5% hit, and the Aggressive Block skill which buffs block by I think 15%, giving you a solid 30% block chance). Reaver is the AOE spec for Tanking Warriors, and also includes some self healing which starts off low but becomes pretty good once you get deep into the tree. You basically dot everything up, and some of the dots heal you as well, then you just clump up and spam AOE till they die.

Rift Disciple

When you say best soul for leveling thats being oversimplistic. You can have 3 souls, generally you will be putting points into at least 2 of them while leveling. Its the combination & synergy between them that makes you more viable.

Paladin is fairly durable, but your leveling is slow because your damage is weak. If you are looking to be a tank then you would be using Reaver, Void Knight or Warlord as your others souls (personally I prefer pally/reaver for the AE threat). For faster leveling but not a tank using Riftblade with Paladin can be decent as you can use a shield & 1H and still get most of your damage (Paladin has hit talents that help a lot too, otherwise Beastmaster has general +hit or Champion for 2H +hit).

+ Reply to Thread