Closed Thread

Thread: What does "Spell Power" do?

Soulwalker

Default What does "Spell Power" do?

I'm new to Rift and have a basic question that I haven't been able to find an answer to: How exactly does "spell power" work? The explanation says it increases damage by x per second, but what does that mean in practice?

As a specific example, suppose I have 250 spell power, which increases spell damage by 50 per second. And assume I have a 1 second global cooldown. How does that apply to:

(1) A spell with a 2 second cast time that does 150 damage normally? Does that now do 250 damage?

(2) An instant-cast spell that does 100 damage normally? I assume that the DPS for an instant cast spell is damage / (cast time + global cooldown). Does that mean that the spell now does 150 damage total?

(3) An instant cast DoT that does 120 damage over 12 seconds (10 per tick). I assume that the damage doesn't increase by 50 per tick, because that seems extremely overpowered. How is the DPS for a DoT spell calculated? Is it just total damage / (cast time + global cooldown)? Does it now do 170 damage total, or 17 per tick?

(4) If a spell has a 2 second cast time, but I use a special ability to turn it into an instant-cast spell, does that affect the total damage it does?

If you know of an existing thread (or website) that explains this, that would be great!

-Tal

1 point of Spell Power = +0.2 magical damage per second

so assume if you will not taking into effect any other stats

100dmg 1sec spell( casttime)

+500spell power will make it do
    200dmg

keep in mind GCD is not taken into consideration.

Soulwalker

But how does it apply to things like instant-cast spells and damage-over-time spells?

For example, if I have 250 spell power, and I cast an instant-cast DoT spell that normally does 120 damage over 12 seconds, how much would the damage increase?

Quote Originally Posted by Talantir View Post
    But how does it apply to things like instant-cast spells and damage-over-time spells?

For example, if I have 250 spell power, and I cast an instant-cast DoT spell that normally does 120 damage over 12 seconds, how much would the damage increase?
    same math and logic can be applied to dots as much as direct damage.

If you know the base unmodified damage of a spell its quite simple to get a idea of the impact of spell power, being a dot or dd makes no difference.
    Last edited by Flaymar; 05-30-2011 at 05:34 AM.

Rift Disciple

Every spell has a coefficient that is multiplied by the amount of spellpower you have.
    damage = base (this is a range of numbers) + coefficient * spellpower
    crits = (top end of base + coefficient * spellpower) * crit multiplier(1.5 to 2.1 depending on spec)
    I'll let people that want to do a lot of parses figure out the coefficients.
    Generally the longer the cast time or effect time is, the higher the coefficients.
    Classes with high bases and low coefficients are said to scale poorly to gear.
    Classes with low bases and high coefficients are said to scale well with gear.
    bird in cage
    bird peck on button to get food
    bird peck on button get food randomly, bird pecks constantly
    They play you like a stupid bird.
    Unfortunately that has been MMO standard operating procedure since EQ.

Soulwalker

Thanks, Lege. That answers my question. It sounds like the effects are much more spell-specific than I realized.

Lege said it all. Flaymar is wrong because

1) according to what he wrote instant casts would not benefit from spellpower
    2) according to him 2 spells with the same casting time would benefit the same amount from spellpower, which is not always the case (for example thunderbolt and forked lightning)

Soulwalker

Thanks to everyone who replied. After some searching I found an excellent guide by Blue Dot that seems to explain everything pretty well.

As far as I can tell, the general rule of thumb is that:
    -The additional damage is proportional to the cast time; and
    -Instant spells are treated as though they have a 1.5 second cast time.

-Tal

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Flaymar View Post
    1 point of Spell Power = +0.2 magical damage per second

so assume if you will not taking into effect any other stats

100dmg 1sec spell( casttime)

+500spell power will make it do
    200dmg

keep in mind GCD is not taken into consideration.
    This is almost never true actually.

I tested all of the spells from archon, warlock, elementalist, necromancer and dominator.

Only 4 spells, ignite, lightning strike, pillaging stone and earthen barrage had +0.2 dps multiplier.

All of the other spells, around 25 of them total, had more or less. Often the difference was only about 10%, but it was different. Some spells like Neural Prod were FAR below that multiplier, others like Draining Bolt, far above it.

Spell Power improves your melee attack power.

Closed Thread