+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie Class Questions!

Default Newbie Class Questions!

Hello, I just bought RIFT and waiting about 12 hours till it's downloaded. =)

I was looking at the classes (Callings) and it appears that Clerics and Rogues can fill all roles "Tank,Healer, (De)Buffer, and DPS" and Warriors can Tank,DPS and Mages can Heal,(De)Buff, and DPS.

Am I correct?

I was thinking of being a Dwarven Warrior Tank, but if I can choose Cleric or Rogue and be able to fill every possible role, I don't see much point in being a more limited class.

I'd prefer PVE Tank,DPS,(De)Buffer and PVP Healer,DPS,(De)Buffer. (Just trying to give info on my ideal playstyle)

Do you need to change gear when you change roles in RIFT? For example changing a cleric from healer to tank.

Please share any information on the classes that you have.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Challegend View Post
    Hello, I just bought RIFT and waiting about 12 hours till it's downloaded. =)

I was looking at the classes (Callings) and it appears that Clerics and Rogues can fill all roles "Tank,Healer, (De)Buffer, and DPS" and Warriors can Tank,DPS and Mages can Heal,(De)Buff, and DPS.
    Rogue healing is more supplementary; the bard soul is a "support" role and not one focused on healing. It can be quite decent in group PvP, however, unlike the mage healing soul which has quite a few problems in PvP.

I was thinking of being a Dwarven Warrior Tank, but if I can choose Cleric or Rogue and be able to fill every possible role, I don't see much point in being a more limited class.

I'd prefer PVE Tank,DPS,(De)Buffer and PVP Healer,DPS,(De)Buffer. (Just trying to give info on my ideal playstyle)
    Well, remember that Warriors have four different tanking trees, and clerics and rogues only have one.
    Rogues are considered by most to be the best tank, warrior is second, and cleric lags in third due to horrible magical damage mitigation. (which really deserves to be addressed by the devs ASAP)
    Also, the rogue tanking thing isn't for everyone, or even most people. I thought I'd like it, but it just didn't click for me.

Do you need to change gear when you change roles in RIFT? For example changing a cleric from healer to tank.
    To an extent, yes. Tanking requires defensive stats like the tank-only stat Toughness, and of course stuff like Parry or more Endurance. DPS requires Focus (casting) or Hit (melee) except for clerics which can convert their magic-related stats to the physical ones for melee.
    You can get away with healing in DPS gear, though. Maybe the most hardcore of guilds would do differently.
    Last edited by nacho; 05-29-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Yeah, the different callings can fill the different roles to varying effect. A warrior tank will do a bit better in some situations than a rogue tank, but the rogue can still do it. A rogue healer is not usually enough for endgame raiding, but will do just fine running around tripping rifts.

A cleric can do all those things you seem to want, I'd recommend examining their individual souls to see if any of those look fun.

If you're changing from, say, healer to tank you may need to switch some gear out, but there are a lot of specs that share gear even if they don't fill the same shoes.
    Last edited by Castigate; 05-29-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks for the info!

I was looking at "ZAM" talent calculator to see the souls and popular builds... and now I'm more confused as to which class to make my main character. lol

Any other information on classes or just random newbie advice is welcome!

Gonna watch some TV, refresh this page a couple times, then go to sleep and hopefully wake up to having the game downloaded. =)

Oh, is there any servers near eastern Canada? I found one thread on this and it said all NA servers are in Texas.

Some popular builds go deep into one tree, light in another and pick a third just for the beginning abilities, while some spread points pretty evenly across the three. Sometimes a build has the secondary souls shoring up weaknesses of their favorite one, and sometimes it'll go for broke on one focus. Grab the ones you like, you'll get a feel for it as you level and a lot of good players make builds not posted online . Maybe play a couple classes just to 10 to see what they feel like - a rogue feels WAAY different than a cleric, for example, and even inside a calling some roles are totally foreign to each other.

Soulwalker

I am only a couple weeks into the game and have tried every class. The one I am sticking with is Cleric. I found tanking with the character to be fun and soloing quests and even minor rifts to be of little hassle. There is a challenge still, but the class seems to do a little of everything well, but nothing perfect. It sounds like you would enjoy Cleric the most.

If you plan on tanking raids at some point you'll want to go with rogue or warrior. However; if you just want to tank normal dungeons/group/experts then a cleric will do just fine through T2 stuff (in its current implementation).

A few things to note.

Rogue tanks are very different from your normal tank and not everyone finds their style to be fun. Its very intensive on the button mashing and micro managing of skills/buffs.

Warrior tanks have the largest variety of possible builds since they have 3 full tank souls plus one support soul (lots of tank skills in this soul). Also warriors are almost exclusively melee damage; there are a build or two running around that has tries to be ranged, but the dps is very low compared to the pure ranged dps of other callings. The difference between melee and ranged dps isn't that important now that patch 1.2 is out and has dumbed down everything except the raids.
    Undecided

Default Rogue

I played all classes to 15, I know thats not a fair assessment of a class by far, but i just wanted to get a basic feel of what I would think I would like...

I decided on Rogue, before I even knew they could be tankers really....

they to me, offer the most variety, by the time you hit lv50, and you then get to the money making , to buy all 5 slots ( i think its 5 ) for your available roles, you can have a vast difference in taste!

The only let down i have to say from Rogue so far, which I have found, is in damage spec, i do struggle atm to farm lots of mobs, I have hit lv50 literally last night, so im not epic geared yet or anything, but I find if i wanted to farm crap loads of mobs, I still have to fight 1 at a time, because my AOE is limited.

I Quest as Assassin, made it simple, with the guide points from quests, i just sneak past all the crap, and do the objectives!

I dungeon dps/sup Marksman or Bard ( marksman offers some kind of AoE, I might try it out on actually killing mobs, but I think it wont be able to handle alot of mobs up close... and Bard is just incase they need extra buffer/heal )

Pvp soul - Bard all the way (atm) - If you have a healer, with a bard, they will find it drastically difficult to kill your group.... I have mixed my Bard build with Defensive Riftstalker. So i have the added Endurance for high health, more armor, reduced damage against me, and healing effects increased... this makes me one annoying Dwarf to kill

I am waiting now til i buy my 4th and 5th Slot, before attempting to venture into the tanking region of a rogue, and i think i will be trying it on some normal dungeons with guildies, just incase of the dreaded wipe!

next alt, is deffo mage - Necro/Chloro, they appear to be UBER at farming gold endgame, with AOE damage and Healing from Damage dealt.... Priceless!

the only class I have not enjoyed to play to be honest was warrior, I just felt like it was SLOW.........
    We all owe the Gods a death, but I have no plans of dying today!

+ Reply to Thread