+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best DPS / Tank Class

Soulwalker

Default Best DPS / Tank Class

I'm currently playing my Shaman Cleric and although its good I'm just not having a lot of fun, I want something that will be able to kill things fairly quickly and be able to tank as well, I've been thinking about going for a warrior (As I suppose this is the only other main tank class) But I'm not too sure.

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frozo View Post
    I'm currently playing my Shaman Cleric and although its good I'm just not having a lot of fun, I want something that will be able to kill things fairly quickly and be able to tank as well, I've been thinking about going for a warrior (As I suppose this is the only other main tank class) But I'm not too sure.

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks
    You don't need to reroll as a warrior, try checking Justicar soul w/ Shaman.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Soulwalker

Cleric's can tank using the Justicar soul, and from personal experience i can tell you i kill stuff rather fast with a cleric in melee spec.

dru/just/sham <--My solo spec, can round up 6-10 mobs and aoe them down in a about 30 secs and still be full health
    sham/just/inq
    sham/dru/inq <--- one of the highest melee dps specs in game and you use 1 button if you macro it right. little boring though if you use that macro.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by bigred5036 View Post
    Cleric's can tank using the Justicar soul, and from personal experience i can tell you i kill stuff rather fast with a cleric in melee spec.

dru/just/sham <--My solo spec, can round up 6-10 mobs and aoe them down in a about 30 secs and still be full health
    sham/just/inq
    sham/dru/inq <--- one of the highest melee dps specs in game and you use 1 button if you macro it right. little boring though if you use that macro.
    I've been trying out Just/Sham/Dru and it didn't seem to kill very fast, I didn't die as quick and I had a lot more health and armour which helped. (I'm currently level 29 so that probably doesn't help)

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Frozo View Post
    I've been trying out Just/Sham/Dru and it didn't seem to kill very fast, I didn't die as quick and I had a lot more health and armour which helped. (I'm currently level 29 so that probably doesn't help)
    If you are doing 1mob at a time it will seem slow. Round up 3-5 and go to town on them Watch out for the ranged ones and just los or pull towards them.

Druid buys you little with just a few points in. You either have the 31 pet or you dont. Either take sent/ward at 0 for survivability or put a few points in inq for damage.

Rift Disciple

You get a lot of tanking ability with only 12 into justicar. Druid is amazing at 31, not so great til then. Shaman is an ok third, but until level 36+ I'd take a healing third role, either sent for a 8 sec cd insta heal or warden for an insta hot. You don't want to single down mobs, you want to get 3-5 and aoe. 31 druid, 24 shaman, 11 inq is a very high melee dps spec for level 50 and starts to work well even with a few missing points in shaman.
    bird in cage
    bird peck on button to get food
    bird peck on button get food randomly, bird pecks constantly
    They play you like a stupid bird.
    Unfortunately that has been MMO standard operating procedure since EQ.

Rogues have a tank soul too, just fyi.
    You can't stop stupid you can only hope to c...o....uh...n?.... Nvm you know what I mean!

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by TBLightning View Post
    Rogues have a tank soul too, just fyi.
    ^. and since you mention main tanking, it's probably what you want anyhow, Rogues the best 'main' tanks (that is, their aoe threat is balls, but point for point they take the least amount of damage of any tank, making them the best for single target, or boss tanking -- which would be main tanking, adds and aoe threat are usually relegated to the off-tank

Tanks give up damage for mitigation. What the OP is asking for is a direct contradiction.

Soulwalker

I'm having a blast with my Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Assassin build.

Lots of mobility and burst, multiple mobs go down pretty fast, and sturdy survivability and stealth. I levelled him up pretty evenly across the souls, but favoring the BD then the RS. 17 points into Sin at level 47 atm.

RIFT Community Ambassador Sodahelm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubin View Post
    ^. and since you mention main tanking, it's probably what you want anyhow, Rogues the best 'main' tanks (that is, their aoe threat is balls, but point for point they take the least amount of damage of any tank, making them the best for single target, or boss tanking -- which would be main tanking, adds and aoe threat are usually relegated to the off-tank
    This isn't true.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Sodahelm View Post
    This isn't true.
    in most fights it is though.

rogues are far better tanks than any other calling USSUALLY.

this is because they mitigrate immense amount of physical and magical damage at the same time. Sure, if a warrior goes magica damage mitigration spec he mitigrates a little bit more than the rogue, or if a warrior goes full physical mitigration spec it mitigrates somewhat more than the rogue, but since most 'tough' bosses do both ohysical and magical the rogues have the best balance and high mitigration that the other tanks.

Justicar damage with a two-hander isn't that bad. The survivability is high since you still heal the hell outta yourself.

Shammy is awesome for soloing. Druid is awesome if you love pets or want a personal tank.

Druid is one of the highest damage melee builds there is right now. Shammy is one of the highest non-pet derived melee builds (at 50 in raids) as well.

Combining Justicar with either (not going 51 points into either) means you are an off-healer who does more damage than almost every other off-healer.

So, OP, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Pick up two Justicar builds:

One is deep tank the other should be a hybrid with a Shammy (or Druid if you prefer the pet) and will use a two-hander.

I solo'd almost everything using a Justicar with a two-hander (combined with Shammy).

In fact, I'd say it's almost overpowered. Especially in relation to what leveling my warrior was like.

RIFT Community Ambassador Sodahelm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shroudb View Post
    in most fights it is though.

rogues are far better tanks than any other calling USSUALLY.

this is because they mitigrate immense amount of physical and magical damage at the same time. Sure, if a warrior goes magica damage mitigration spec he mitigrates a little bit more than the rogue, or if a warrior goes full physical mitigration spec it mitigrates somewhat more than the rogue, but since most 'tough' bosses do both ohysical and magical the rogues have the best balance and high mitigration that the other tanks.
    Find an encounter where a geared Rogue takes significantly less damage than a geared Warrior.

Tanking Greenscale, Plutonus, or Herald has never been difficult for Warriors. A lot of Rogues are under the impression that it was/is more difficult for Warriors than Rogues. The reason it perpetuated is because Warriors didn't know their talent trees, not because Rogues were better designed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast