+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What exactly are...

Rift Disciple

Default What exactly are...

Diminishing returns. All the explanations on the net confuse me. Can anyone explain it to me in laymans terms? And sorry if this is in the wrong forum

Champion

A diminishing return is basically a system where you get less and less for the same amount as you get more.

Easier to explain with an example.

Say you have 50 armour, this 50 armour means anything hitting you does 50% less damage.

Now you add on another 10 armour, you are now at 60 armour but you only take 55% less damage.

now you add on another 40, you are now at 100 armour but instead of getting 100% less damage you instead only get 70% less damage.

Each armour point you gain suffers a "diminishing return" resulting in each point giving you less of a damage reduction than the last.

Ascendant

Note that DR can also be a dynamic and it's often more likely to see DR discussed in the context of battle skills.

For example, if something like a crowd control debuff ('root' for example) initially lasts for, say, 8 seconds, if there's a DR on it the next time it's used it'll only last maybe for 6, then 4, etc. until you may become immune to it.

This will last for a period of time before the 'DR effect' wears off and you'll be back where you started.

Note, this is an example, I have no idea if there's an actual 'root' skill in the game that works exactly like this, but there are several that work in this general way.
    Last edited by Kerin; 05-27-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Rift Disciple

Cheers guys, much appreciated

Champion

Single question with 2 clear, concise and correct answers?

I just lost my faith in forums... Where's the trolls? You people make me sick
    In reference to someone else:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gany
    QFDumb
    In reference to me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Seniella
    QFAwesome.
    Unrelated Posts

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie328 View Post
    Single question with 2 clear, concise and correct answers?

I just lost my faith in forums... Where's the trolls? You people make me sick
    lol QFT
    /10chars

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    A diminishing return is basically a system where you get less and less for the same amount as you get more.

Easier to explain with an example.

Say you have 50 armour, this 50 armour means anything hitting you does 50% less damage.

Now you add on another 10 armour, you are now at 60 armour but you only take 55% less damage.

now you add on another 40, you are now at 100 armour but instead of getting 100% less damage you instead only get 70% less damage.

Each armour point you gain suffers a "diminishing return" resulting in each point giving you less of a damage reduction than the last.
    Well actually the example with armour is problematic.

Getting another 5% mitigation has a dramatically different value, depending on where you are. Extreme example: Going from 95% to 100% is way better than going from 0% to 5%.

So you may say that there are diminishing returns, because you get less % per point. However the value of armour doesn't diminish, because each 1% gets more and more valuable, the more mitigation you already have.
    Constable Ashaya the Daredevil
    <Libertatis Causa> - Feenring (EU)

+ Reply to Thread