+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mana Drain Question

Telaran

Default Mana Drain Question

I'm not complaining and please don't freak out because I'm not requesting it.

I was just curious regarding mana drains. A mage/Cleric can be effectivly shut down via a mana drain. However, there is nothing to prevent/slow the regeneration of Rogues and Warriors energy bar. I was wondering why it's one sided and what would happen if they added it?

Quote Originally Posted by Creepir View Post
    please don't freak out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow-bci2yNgM
    Playtime - p4x Guardian Rogue - Bloodiron
    Sma - p4x Guardian Mage - Bloodiron

Rift Disciple

Wow something to slow or stop a rogue or warriors energy bars. Yeah people would quit or reroll mage or cleric.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Creepir View Post
    However, there is nothing to prevent/slow the regeneration of Rogues and Warriors energy bar. I was wondering why it's one sided and what would happen if they added it?
    http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/40047...=1/Mana-Wrench
    http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/52639...1/Transference

May want to do some reasearch outside of Void Knights when looking at mana drains... as both of these are more crippling to Rogues + Warriors than to Mages + Clerics (Especially Transference... Half of their resources gone + no regen for 5 seconds...)

Edit: Also remembered http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/59731...itating-Poison
    Last edited by Taril; 05-26-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Razaden View Post
    Wow something to slow or stop a rogue or warriors energy bars. Yeah people would quit or reroll mage or cleric.
    Yeah, it would be pretty frustrating after 30-40 seconds to be unable to cast anything (even burning a pot cooldown) without first getting out of combat for 15-20 seconds.

I can imagine how that might make some people want to reroll or quit. I can't imagine that being a fair gameplay mechanic or being something that should be allowed to happen in this game.

Oh wait....

Rift Disciple

the Expert life rift.. i can not tank as cleric lol yet the raid rift life is easy...

mana drain fcuks my tank up hard.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by jMerliN View Post
    Yeah, it would be pretty frustrating after 30-40 seconds to be unable to cast anything (even burning a pot cooldown) without first getting out of combat for 15-20 seconds.

I can imagine how that might make some people want to reroll or quit. I can't imagine that being a fair gameplay mechanic or being something that should be allowed to happen in this game.

Oh wait....
    Yeah so we have 100 energy and then gimp us so we can't do anything. Of course as a Cleric or Mage I can cast whatever I want because I don't have 100 mana I have tons more than that. Come on really mana drains don't even tickle players in PvP.

Xsi

*waits for the day when my rogue can drink a mana potion and regain all of my rogue's energy*
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

Banned

Yeah so we have 100 energy and then gimp us so we can't do anything. Of course as a Cleric or Mage I can cast whatever I want because I don't have 100 mana I have tons more than that. Come on really mana drains don't even tickle players in PvP.
    Go play a non-melee cleric at 50. Let me know how that turns out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsi View Post
    *waits for the day when my rogue can drink a mana potion and regain all of my rogue's energy*
    There are energy pots.
    Last edited by jMerliN; 05-26-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Rift Disciple

Maybe clerics can eat through mana. I have no idea. I just don't have it in me to want to level a cleric.

Rogues limited by energy. Take that away and we should just sit down.

Cleric is limited by GCD because they don't have low mana. I am not sure but the only thing I can do to that is cause your spells to cost more or take longer to cast but still not enough to consider drains for energy.

As a rogue I can use 3 abilities and have to wait as a cleric I could cast several before I am spent. Course in the long run ya'll can run out and rogues have constant regain but still I doubt a fight will make it that far.

Prophet of Telara

Remember that all the drains are relative.

I could drain a rogue for all their energy, and it takes what, 5 seconds to get back to full? Half a second before you could use a cheaper skill after being completely drained?

If you full drained most mage or cleric specs, they pop a pot. You do it twice and they are ****ed for 3 minutes. Not, oh slightly disabled for a couple seconds, ****ed.

Mana Wrench is draining 4% mana per second, which for me is just shy of 200 or 5 energy from a rogue. It takes me minutes to naturally recover that whereas a rogue can shrug it off.

Transference is an amazing skill that already exists in game that single handedly can disable a rogue or warrior for upwards of 7 seconds. It isn't even that high into Dominator.

These skills exist, but just aren't particularly useful in most situations.

Rift Disciple

OK I will give a little to the Mana Wrench but still 24% over 6 seconds on 25 sec c/d is not killer. I mean 24% over 6 seconds and another 25 seconds for c/d is 31 seconds before its refreshed and then another 31 and your down another 24%.

So you would need prolly at least a 1min or more to drain them assuming they are casting as well.

Banned

Maybe clerics can eat through mana. I have no idea. I just don't have it in me to want to level a cleric.

Rogues limited by energy. Take that away and we should just sit down.

Cleric is limited by GCD because they don't have low mana. I am not sure but the only thing I can do to that is cause your spells to cost more or take longer to cast but still not enough to consider drains for energy.

As a rogue I can use 3 abilities and have to wait as a cleric I could cast several before I am spent. Course in the long run ya'll can run out and rogues have constant regain but still I doubt a fight will make it that far.
    And when several people are draining a cleric, it takes less than 10 seconds to be out of mana, even after using a pot and getting off a few heals. We're not talking about a long fight. And at that point, we can't do anything at all unless we're in a melee spec. Mages can full regen their mana no problem so it's pointless draining them. You guys, even if drained to 0, would only have to wait a GCD or two to be able to use another ability anyway. I don't think you understand just how useless a cleric is once he hits 0 mana. It might as well kill the cleric, at least he'd get back into the fight more quickly and be useful.

Era
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by jMerliN View Post
    And when several people are draining a cleric, it takes less than 10 seconds to be out of mana, even after using a pot and getting off a few heals. We're not talking about a long fight. And at that point, we can't do anything at all unless we're in a melee spec. Mages can full regen their mana no problem so it's pointless draining them. You guys, even if drained to 0, would only have to wait a GCD or two to be able to use another ability anyway. I don't think you understand just how useless a cleric is once he hits 0 mana. It might as well kill the cleric, at least he'd get back into the fight more quickly and be useful.
    This. There are also NPCs in Stillmoor that ALSO mana drain...and being at 0 is not a fun time. You can't even melee to proc the numerous mana regen spells...
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

Quote Originally Posted by Taril View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/40047...=1/Mana-Wrench
    http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/52639...1/Transference

May want to do some reasearch outside of Void Knights when looking at mana drains... as both of these are more crippling to Rogues + Warriors than to Mages + Clerics (Especially Transference... Half of their resources gone + no regen for 5 seconds...)

Edit: Also remembered http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/59731...itating-Poison
    you do realize both of these abilities are in dominator right?
    I would kinda hope no one is complaining too much about these... anyone going dominator is certainly sacrificing enough viability elsewhere to get them (and are situational at best)
    Last edited by Inixia; 05-26-2011 at 01:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast