+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pets holding aggro :/

Default Pets holding aggro :/

Just wanted to ask if anyone else feel that pets in this game have serious problems holding aggro?
    The only pet Ive ever felt that holds aggro well is the Ranger-pig.
    Im playing with my Elementalist abit and just got the Greater Rock-pet...I thought perhaps he would be more sturdy and hold aggro better...boy was I wrong.
    The area-aggro thing is a joke.
    Im specced Elementalist - Pyromancer - Chloro....and im mainly using the Pyro-spells. I dont think it has to do with the dps that the Pyro puts out, because he lost aggro quite abit when I was using the Elementalist spells too.
    So....is it just me doing somthing wrong, or are the pets more or less crap at aggro. Tbh..the Lesser Rock-pet held aggro better....not sure why.
    And yes...I upgraded the new pet...he is 22 just like me atm.

Shield of Telara

/shrugs

I see those greater rock pets pulling agro from tanks in level 50 rifts all the time. Even in expert rifts where people are laying down massive DPS, the rock pet or a ranger pig grabs agro from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoli View Post
    /shrugs

I see those greater rock pets pulling agro from tanks in level 50 rifts all the time. Even in expert rifts where people are laying down massive DPS, the rock pet or a ranger pig grabs agro from time to time.
    AYe I see that too...I guess they just dont wanna do it when their masters want it.

Rift Disciple

I play Elementalist a lot and I never had a problem. Even if the greater rock does lose aggro it's only for a second or two. I don't use Pyro spells though.

Those rock pets piss me off all the time when I'm trying to tank a rift boss

Quote Originally Posted by Clades View Post
    Those rock pets piss me off all the time when I'm trying to tank a rift boss
    Don't let the pets out-threat you. :P

On-topic:
    From my understanding there are pets that hold aggro, such as the boar/greater boar, and the rock/greater rock.

But other pets do NOT hold aggro. I'm a rogue so I only know the ones for rogues, which are the wolf/greater wolf, and the raptor. As for the mage(i think) those fairy ones don't hold aggro either. The ones that don't hold aggro generally add more dps than the ones that does and i think take slightly more damage.

Era
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Malupit View Post
    Don't let the pets out-threat you. :P

On-topic:
    From my understanding there are pets that hold aggro, such as the boar/greater boar, and the rock/greater rock.

But other pets do NOT hold aggro. I'm a rogue so I only know the ones for rogues, which are the wolf/greater wolf, and the raptor. As for the mage(i think) those fairy ones don't hold aggro either. The ones that don't hold aggro generally add more dps than the ones that does and i think take slightly more damage.
    They hold aggro because of their taunts I think...but yeah. If a pet's tanking they often get one-shotted by rift bosses anyway.
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

Plane Walker

Did you accidentally turn off the pets taunts/abilities? My GE has zero problems holding aggro against a single mob. It is when there are 3-5 mobs and I lay down a double aoe then I start getting aggro from mobs the pet didn't actually hit. I just pop a shield and pop mortality at that point. I then collect loot.
    Last edited by Tarmalen; 05-25-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Pets' abilities don't fire right away unless you manually tell them to, so people have been adding manual pet commands to their hotbars for a long time now.

If you're doing Pyro/Elem you're going to have to lead off with Countdown or a DoT to let your pet hold and keep aggro, or add something like this:

#show (whatever)
    petcast (whatever best threat generating abilities he has)
    petcast (whatever other abilities he has)
    cast (Fire-whatever)

etc
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

Yes I have all 3 abilites turned on, there are little lights circlin around them.
    And ye its mostly when im doing a few mobs. Sometimes he is still really crap..I even pulled with Radiant Spores and the mob came to me...lol...maybe I got a crap example from the pet-factory thats all...malfunction crap.

Btw...that Earthquake he has...the is it 4 mob infront of him or is it area ?
    He happened to die one time when I was fighting 4 mobs, and I quickly pulled him back up with "fast summon", and hit the area-taunt...its says its forces the mobs to target the pet...my *** it did

Rogue pet (necro) doesn't hold agro for ****, but it's not supposed to - it even has a skill that reduces agro. The Skeletal Knight holds agro just fine while I destroy lvl 50 elite mobs, as long as I keep the necro debuff/pet buffs on the mobs. Both of the mage soul tank pets get force taunts, which is going to take agro no matter how much threat you have on a mob. If a rock pet is grabbing your agro on a raid rift, it's because whoever that player is, is a noob.

Although tbh I kill the broodmothers, etc for the elite dailies with the rogue pet and just soul purge through the damage.
    <Disturbance> @Vigil
    Had a dream, I was King; I woke up, still King.
    Wizards never die.

The stonepets area taunt...is it all around him or just infront of him ?
    Because they darn have to do something..its utter crap. The text forces the target is alot of BULL !
    He constantly looses aggro even though he uses that one...I even activated it myself when he lost and and STILL they dont target him.
    PETS NEEDS BETTER AGGRO...that actually works !!

Quote Originally Posted by Vivvi View Post
    Just wanted to ask if anyone else feel that pets in this game have serious problems holding aggro?
    The only pet Ive ever felt that holds aggro well is the Ranger-pig.
    Im playing with my Elementalist abit and just got the Greater Rock-pet...I thought perhaps he would be more sturdy and hold aggro better...boy was I wrong.
    The area-aggro thing is a joke.
    Im specced Elementalist - Pyromancer - Chloro....and im mainly using the Pyro-spells. I dont think it has to do with the dps that the Pyro puts out, because he lost aggro quite abit when I was using the Elementalist spells too.
    So....is it just me doing somthing wrong, or are the pets more or less crap at aggro. Tbh..the Lesser Rock-pet held aggro better....not sure why.
    And yes...I upgraded the new pet...he is 22 just like me atm.
    The undead knight in the necromancer tree holds the best aggro in my opinion. I can launch like 10k damage into a mob, my pet hits it once and the mob is on my pet like stink on poo.
    Last edited by Xanadu; 05-27-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    The undead knight in the necromancer tree holds the best aggro in my opinion. I can launch like 10k damage into a mob, my pet hits it once and the mob is on my pet like stink on poo.
    He might, but he is darn weak its as if he has cloths on him. Im focusing more on healing him than doing dmg tbh.

Single target I only have problems with the beastmaster pet. I seriously have to hold back or let him pound the target for a while before I join in (yes, I have the 'turtle' and not the 'lion' up ). Even then a lucky crit or two can pull the mob off of him. Darn fugly cat...

AoE I only see that with the greater earth elemental and the piggy when I go trigger happy too fast (so it's my fault, really). With the necro I rarely pull aggro but then again with a necro it barely matters given the amount of self healing.
    Last edited by Rounin; 05-28-2011 at 08:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast