+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Race/Class Combinations - Pro's and Con's

Default Race/Class Combinations - Pro's and Con's

This is the Pro's and Con's of why you need to have limited Race/Class Combination's between and in Factions.

There will always be those people (about 1-2% of the gaming population) that will want to play the “off-color” race/class combination – High Elf Reaver for example. Unfortunately for them – this will not be an option. I do agree with the premise that a limited number of races should also be limited to the number of classes that they have available to them.

First – we have races split by Faction. Those races under the Guardians will not have the majority of the Defiant classes available to them to utilize and visa-versa.

Second – we have classes split by Races. A Paladin will only be available to the Guardians, and then only to a select few races under the Guardians for example. A champion would probably be available to all races and to both Factions.

Third – IF there is the option to “betray” your faction and switch factions to the other side (which should be an arduous and time consuming quest btw) your new faction should also only make available those classes which are available to all races/factions. An “Eth” betraying Defiant for example and eventually becoming a Guardian faction would not also have available to him the ability to become a Paladin. He would only have the Champion class available to him.

The reasoning for the above I believe is that there should be, a uniqueness to certain classes – that if people want to play a certain class – they have to accept both the bonuses AND the penalties associated with it. There will almost always be a certain amount of grumbling and complaining about this type of situation, but – I believe it is for the best in the long run. (And isn’t there always a certain amount of grumbling and complaining about EVERY situation by someone, somewhere? This is the type of area where you have to build the game for the greater good, not for the selfishness of a tiny percentage of players – no matter how vocal they may be at the time.)
    Veteran MMORPG Player for 10 years. Played almost all of them at one point. Played variety of races and classes and am good at most of them also.

Your speculation about faction switching is interesting, but I have a hard time with having to be restricted to only "both faction" classes. I understand the logic behind it, because people would make the best race for their desired class and then go through the arduous quest (Which I like that you addressed that) to essentially make an unstoppable force.

The problem with making them have to choose a both-faction class is it wouldn't really make sense in terms of lore.

"Hey, we appreciate you defying your people and nation, and we see that you are REAL good with magic...here's your sword! Have at 'em!"

Again, I understand the reasoning behind your logic, but I think that's why they wouldn't put it in the game. It would create for too much problems in having to decide what races can be what classes on each opposing side, limitations to the faction-switch, etc.

I think it is a cool idea, and the most basic idea of switching sides makes sense with the lore. I can see it being a later edition, expansion-type idea.

What i meant was that as the Eth couldn't become the Paladin as that would be restricted on races - Champion is what would be available to him - BUT - not the only choice available to him. If he's a mage calling, he would have the basic mage calling that both factions had available to him for example. If he's a cleric - same thing, etc.
    Veteran MMORPG Player for 10 years. Played almost all of them at one point. Played variety of races and classes and am good at most of them also.

I thought they were still on the fence about allowing each faction to get access to restricted souls later in the game?

Also, based on the soul system, I'm assuming all races on a side have equal access to all available souls - though I haven't heard anything to confirm or deny this.

I think I missed the memo...

Was there some talk about being able to betray your faction and change to another?

As far as Souls go Xilith, there will be certain souls only avail to one faction or the other..
    It was a recent post on MMORPG...

Who knows about allowing access later on.. I think that kind of comes along with all games at some point in time...
    Where faction imbalances are given to each... Course, I am a fan of nothing being too even.. So I like factions not being exactly the same...
    Last edited by DarkoneNeo; 08-10-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

The problem with allowing faction switching is that it could really screw up population balances between the guardians and defiants.

While I'm a fan of a target rich environment and usually playing on the underdog side, there are some who would see this as an opportunity to leap to what they perceived the winning side.

So and So who achieved a bunch of heroic souls gets tired of getting pounded by the enemy in 2 on 1 to 3 on 1 confrontations so decides to do a faction swap. He already has everything he needs and has the classes he wants. But now he's playing for the away team.

and as stated before, there are going to be Souls only available to one or the other factions.

Cheers.

I'm not going to comment on betrayal system other than to day I did enjoy playing an evil high elf assassin, in EQII. I wasn't aware this mechanic was even being considered for Rift, however.

But I'd like to throw in one big con with the faction restrictions, and that is balance. If all classes were open to both factions there would be zero balancing as far as faction vs faction goes (even if some classes themselves might need adjustments). With class restrictions the devs now have the burden of making sure that whatever restricted class one faction has is balanced with it's "mirror" (whatever class they come up with to counter the Paladin for example). This was a never ending problem in WAR, with both sides constantly complaining about the other faction's classes and there were constant nerfs abound. The only minor relief is that not all classes are this way.
    Last edited by Helspyre; 08-11-2010 at 12:04 AM.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

Betrayal is just wishful thinking on the OP's part. Their has been no clue that this is even considered, actually it's more likely that this won't happen. And if by betraying you lose access to the defiant only classes and don't gain access to the guardian only classes, you just destroyed your character and other than a roleplaying reason, no one in their right mind would choose this option.

For the class race restriction. Usually I'm in favour of not allowing all races to have access to all classes, but with this system it doesn't make sense. Restrictions should be faction based. If the guardians can't have warlocks, then you can't choose the wrong race when the game starts, because new players won't know about this and later they won't be surprised because they find out that high elves can't be assassins, but if they went with dwarfs they could have been an assassin and all other rogue souls (thus 1 more soul than the high elves have access to).

I hope they will make faction restricted souls available through a hard to work way and maybe you have to sacrifice another soul to gain it. For example if the reaver and the paladin are both restricted to the other side. You can choose to lose the reaver soul on the defiant side and gain the paladin soul. The paladin and reaver would be too conflicting to be used by the same person and when you use the other one the first one will leave you and not join you until you do a purification quest to remove all traces of this horrible soul.

Actually - if you look at my post - i wasn't advocating betrayal - i was saying that IF betrayal was an option, this is how it should/would need to be implemented. I was pointing out that there is always the 1-2% of the player population that wants to play one particular race - BUT - that race isn't available in the faction they want to end up playing in.

I hope this clarifies things more.

I'm all for no Faction Switching or Betrayal or whatever. I never suggested that it had been advocated or was mentioned by a dev as an option or anything like that - i was just simply pointing out a subject that was going to arise sooner or later - and wanted to get it out and looked at before anything was set in stone one way or another.

again, if it's done like that almost no one will do it.

Sure, let us switch factions with an arduous quest. Then make it so we can never return to the faction we betrayed. Noone will accept a traitor back with open arms. This would make people think long and hard whether they really do want to change (and they won't be changing just because the other side is winning - cause that could change).
    its = possessive, it's = it is | whose = possessive, who's = who is | your = possessive, you're = you are | too = also or too much, to = to go or to do, two = 2 | their = possessive, there = a place, they're = they are | than = comparative, then = deals with time

Sign these petitions: Halo Reach for PC | Legend of the Seeker season 3 (tv show)

I don't see a problem with betraying an Eth and becoming a Paladin. Even if you are a lore purist, stranger things have happened than people changing sides and vocations. In fact, it can make for a very interesting story.

+ Reply to Thread