+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PVE End-game Healing: Mage or Cleric

Shadowlander

Question PVE End-game Healing: Mage or Cleric

Hello Rifters

Sorry if this is the 3291th thread on this subject but I can't seem to find the specific information I require.

Here's some background: I basically want to play a healer in end-game. My main focus is on PVE/Raids and to a lesser degree PVP.

I currently have a level 32 cleric and a level 22 mage.

So far I've found the following:

- PVE healing as cleric seems pretty damn boring. Most of the time I'm just walking along and casting a few HoTs and during heavy damage switch to the 3-second heal spam. The actual healing works fine (both group and tank) so that's not the issue. However, 90% of the time I feel like I'm not really needed and would be way better off doing damage.

- PVP Healing as Cleric is great fun (I like it way more then Chloro in PVP)

- PVP Healing as Mage feels sort of strange... I don't really have much to counter burst damage and my damage is also not that wonderful. In PVP I much prefer my cleric.

- I don't have much experience with PVE healing as Chloro. The one run I did was fine.. I managed to heal both group and tank without issue and it was also a lot less boring then Cleric (but honestly was still pretty damn boring... single macro to spam is not my idea of a great time).

So basically I could imagine myself playing either of the two classes. In some areas I like cleric and in others i prefer mage.

What I totally lack however is information on raid-viability of the above classes. What is needed more for raids (and Experts)? Chloros? Or Clerics? Or do you always need both?

I guess what I'm asking is: is it even viable to play a healing cleric in a min-maxer guild? In a scrub guild it's not an issue because they don't actually bring the optimal class setup (if people suck then it's pretty irrelevant if they bring a Chloro instead of a Cleric). But what about "pro guilds"? Would they prefer bringing Chloros because they at least deal some damage while still out-performing Clerics on the healing side?

I don't feel like leveling up my Cleric as a healer just to learn that nobody actually wants clerics in their raids/groups because they could just as well bring a Chloro who does damage AND healing.

Are there enough situations and encounts (in experts and raids) where the cooldowns and "utility" of the Cleric are actually worth bringing instead of a Chloro?

Any raiders or other experienced people (from decent guilds that focus on optimal raid setups) got any information for me?

Just to make it clear: I know it's possible to raid with either class. But it's also possible to raid as a Subtlety Rogue in WOW if you're in a ******ed guild that doesn't care about raid performance.

I'd like to hear some min-maxers and what they think about the viability of Clerics in end-game healing.

Cheers
    Zeron
    Last edited by Zeron; 05-24-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Shadowlander

Since I can't edit my post any more (grrr.....) a quick tl;dr:

You're the raid leader and are building a raid. You have 5 healer slots that need to be filled. You have 10 healers in your raid pool: 5 Chlors and 5 Clerics.

What combination would you bring and why?

The way I see it you'd obviously try to stack as many Chloros as possible and bring as few Clerics as possible (because they "only" heal).

Or am I totally wrong with this?

Rift Master

Chloros don't stack with each other.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mezkh View Post
    Chloros don't stack with each other.
    Can you elaborate?

Do you mean their passive healing doesn't stack? Or Synthesis doesn't stack? Or something else?

I believe I have read in a guide that bringing 2 Chloros for double Synthesis on the tank is quite common. But the guild was old (beta) so god knows.
    Last edited by Zeron; 05-24-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Rift Master

Synth doesn't stack, passive healing won't heal other Chloros. Chloro is basically a highlander build - there can only be one.

Shadowlander

Ok, that's very good to know and makes me feel a lot better about the cleric.

Generally I prefer the classic (WOW-style) healing to the Chloro healing style but being a min-maxer at heart it goes against the grain to play a pure healer when a DPS with passive healing is just as strong.

But not being able to bring more then 1 Chloro does put a damper on that.

Thanks.

Champion of Telara

If you were going to choose 6 healers for a 20 man raid, probably you would have 2 Chloros, 3 Clerics, and a Bard.
    I am a lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)

It's not that you only need 1 chloro, it's that you can generally only use 1 chloro per tank in a raid situation.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I still have serious problems deciding what class to play... If only the Cleric had a fourth healer tree that can fill the role of a Chloro (Healing but still provide some decent DPS).

Are there any rumours about future patches concerning Chloro heal? Or are the devs generally happy with the state of healing?

Shadowlander

Depends pretty much on the encounter - as said above, in a 1-tank encounter more than one chloro would be wasted. Chloro and cleric go well together though, you usually want both classes in the healing mix.

That said, pre 1.2 when some T2 used to be challenging, there were fights where having a chloro heal over a cleric made it all a lot easier, especially dps checks with a not yet fully geared group.

Imo there will always be room for both classes healing in a raid setting, you should play what you enjoy most.

Edit: clerics can actually heal while dpsing, I think one of those builds is called Senticar - justicar / sentinel mix. More dps than a chloro, but less single-target healing, still good to have on dmg intense fights.
    Last edited by Ninon; 05-24-2011 at 03:37 AM.

Champion

as others have said, 1 chloro per tank then rest clerics, so would come down to max of about 2 chloros, then 2-3 clerics.

Wouldn't take bard in a healing slot.

not sure how many healers people tend to run with but 5 sounds about most I'd go for generally.
    Last edited by Dasorine; 05-24-2011 at 03:44 AM.

Rift Chaser

For sheer healing output cholor is the greater of the 2 and fun to play, sadly though, can only synth 1 tank, so rarely more than 2 per raid, rest are clerics.

Plane Touched

In endgame you will want both. Chloros have the advantage in sheer tank healing throughput, while Clerics are more flexible in their healing and have more panic cooldowns when things go wrong. For 5-mans I'd say Chloro is better than a Cleric generally due to bringing a bit of DPS themselves an better group utility, plus the need for "OH SNAP!" buttons isn't as prevalent as in raids.
    Better living through technology!
    Inventing Cleric builds is too mainstream for me.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mridc View Post
    In endgame you will want both. Chloros have the advantage in sheer tank healing throughput, while Clerics are more flexible in their healing and have more panic cooldowns when things go wrong. For 5-mans I'd say Chloro is better than a Cleric generally due to bringing a bit of DPS themselves an better group utility, plus the need for "OH SNAP!" buttons isn't as prevalent as in raids.
    Sort of depends on the dungeons, theres a few were I've had issues with a chloro healer due to times boss is immune but im (as a tank) still needing heals, drops them down to just bloom and flourish.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Zeron View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I still have serious problems deciding what class to play... If only the Cleric had a fourth healer tree that can fill the role of a Chloro (Healing but still provide some decent DPS).

Are there any rumours about future patches concerning Chloro heal? Or are the devs generally happy with the state of healing?
    It does exsist
    Sentenel/Justicar

It's a melee chloromancer with less tank heals but more group heals. Having 1 in the raid at least on heavy AOE damage fights is AMAZING. They generally are in the 400-500 DPS range depending on how many GCDs they use on heals. No other healer can top off raids faster when a lot of people take damage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast