+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Healing/Support Souls... My brain hurts!

Soulwalker

Default Healing/Support Souls... My brain hurts!

I just recently started Rift after a 6 month hiatus from online gaming, and I have to say I'm very intrigued! I really enjoy the amount of customization I can have with my character. HOWEVER, it hurts my head a little trying to figure out which would be a good fit for me, and this is where I hope you guys come in! !

Preface: If any of this information is wrong, please don't flame/troll. I'm looking for insightful and helpful comments. I'm just trying to get everything straight in my head before I explode haha.

So, to my knowledge there are 4 primary healing souls:
    Cleric:
    - Purifier: Heal through fire? Bubbles of sorts?
    - Warden: Hots and AoE? Guessing a strong raid healer.
    - Sentinel: BOOM POW IN YOUR FACE BIG HEALS!...?
    Mage:
    - Cholo: I'm not 100% Sure, but something about a mage healing makes me smile !

And there are only 2 support souls that look interesting to me:
    Mage:
    - Archon: Looks difficult, but it could be interesting
    Rogue:
    - Bard: Songs <3

My problem is, I have no clue whether I should roll a Rogue, Mage, or a Cleric. Right now I am leaning towards bard, but after talking to a friend who raids, he says there is very little demand for Bards in raiding situations (as there is only 1 per raid usually), and I will be forced to DPS at times, which seems no fun.

My next option is Mage so I can take a Cholo build for healing, Archon for support. Which gives me two viable non dps roles.

My last option, even though I feel like it should be my first, is Cleric. Obviously could be a very dedicated healer with multiple specs to fit different situations...

So in the end, I want to know whether or not I could roll Bard or Cholo and still be viable end game in my role AND be desirable for raid groups...

(I'm sorry is this seems like incoherent rambling, but my brain hurts just looking at all... what are there... 36 souls? X-x)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pragious View Post
    So, to my knowledge there are 4 primary healing souls:
    Cleric:
    - Purifier: Heal through fire? Bubbles of sorts?
    - Warden: Hots and AoE? Guessing a strong raid healer.
    - Sentinel: BOOM POW IN YOUR FACE BIG HEALS!...?
    As a cleric, I can at least expand upon these.

Purifier specializes in single target healing, damage shields, and Oh Crap buttons. It has (arguably) the best cleric heal with Restorative Flame, which applies a damage shield as well when specced.

Sentinal has the largest cleric heal in Healing Invocation that can also do a HoT when specced. By itself, it loses some effectiveness chain casting since you're constantly overwriting your own HoT, so you don't get it's full effectiveness. Sentinal also has strong (but expensive) AoE heals and a battle rez.

Warden is based around heal over time spells for single target and aoe. It is the most powerful healing soul in terms of pure healing per second provided, but it does require constant upkeep of HoTs, making it a little less versatile for doing offheals in an emergency, or dealing with spike damage.

One thing to remember is that you don't have put 51 points into any one soul. With 66 points to spend at level 50, most clerics end up putting 3x/3x in two souls to combine their strengths. The most common combinations are Purifier/Sentinal and Warden/Sentinal, sometimes you see Purifier/Warden, but not as commonly. 51 Warden is about the only 51 point healer you will see. The deep root abilities on most healing specs just aren't worth it, outside of the highest end raid encounters, so you're often best off mixing two.

But, in the end, it really comes down to what you're most comfortable with. Any of them can do the job well, healing is one role where skill matters more than just grabbing a cookie cutter build and smashing a macro button. Any mix of two works, and any 51 point build can also work. (Also, taking 0 points in the Templar PVP soul for your third soul is great to get the Break Free ability.)

Sokanon wrote a decent guide about them here: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...3x-3x-x-builds

Soulwalker

Kramhtaed,

Awesome! Thanks for your reply! I actually rolled a Cleric last night, and I'm going to see how it goes. If anyone else has any comments on the Cholo, Archon, or Bard feel free to lemme know !

Soulwalker

Generally as a chloro you need better gear than a cleric would to heal through many boss fights.

Outside of raids there really isn't a need for "support" in the traditional sense of buffs/ debuffs/ CC; in a raid all that is needed for that is 1 archon and 1 bard. In Rift "support" means extra healing during a boss fight if the main healer needs it. For this chloro is far better than a bard, unless the main healer is already a chloro. There is a nice build for chloro that includes the archon to combine this healing with traditional support; search for chlorarchon/ archon/ chloro and you should find some good suggestions.

Bard is straight support. He can do more healing or dps with each round of combo points depending on what you think is needed. Cadence, the bread and butter combo point maker does both at once. Other than that, you bring buffs.

The bonus to rolling a cleric is it is versatile between its many specs. For 75% of the raids i run as a "support" cleric. A support cleric is any normal tree built with ~16pts into justicar. Essentially this lets you play as a Chloro (without the synthesis buff), The normal Pairings for Justicar are Inqisicar and Senticar, aka Inqisitor/justicar or sentinel/justicar.

These roles are built entirely for AoE support heals with little mana concerns (purpose restores mana when striking in melee). The difference is:

Inqisicar is always dpsing when not aoe healing with Doctrine of Loyalty, thus always building conviction.

Senticar is the other side and is single target Healing when not AoE healing with DoL or when not building conviction.

These roles, from spec'ing into justicar with 10pts, brings an on-call, no cooldown, instant 800-1000hp 10person Heal. The only limiting factor is your convictions(stack max to 4) which are built from life based damage spells. But with 5/5 GSB and 2/4 RoS, I've only found myself Conviction starved on Greenscale Air phases.

Healing wise, I normally run 34purifier/32sentinel which is mainly a heavy tank healing build. The big bonus from this is 60% of overheals on tank heal nearby targets, making spam (especially in a raid scenario) not a total waste.
    Last edited by Quietmode; 05-28-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Soulwalker

I play chloro as main spec and i will tell you 2 good reasons why.

1. No wack a mole healing. Bloom is the only target heal you have.
    2. You play like a dps doing a rotation with little changes based on damage taken.

+ Reply to Thread