+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Please play a Tank or Healer. Thank you.

Plane Touched

Post Please play a Tank or Healer. Thank you.

I make this request to the player base of Rift. I do not demand of the developer to change mechanics of the game, put in cross server Looking For Group tools, or anything. Nope, this entirely a put on to the players of this game.

When looking for a group for anything, what's the Specification that you're mostly waiting for? It's a mix of both tanks and healers were they're about even. Support is questionable as there's only three known Souls in the game that fit that roll (Archon, Bard, and Warlord), but still not hard to fill. Damage classes (most commonly known as "DPS") are the easiest role to fill and are of over abundance.

Now, quite frankly it's the Damage specs that are mostly complaining that it takes them nearly or over an hour to find a group for doing dungeon runs. Which is funny that they do not realize that they're the cause and solution to the problem. By the way, I'm referencing dungeon runs 100% on this, not solo content, Player-vs-Player content, or anything else.

And, cross-shard Looking For Group tools will not alleviate the problem, but expedite it more so as well as add in the issue of non-social connection and ninja looting (barely relevant enough to mention, but not the focus of this conversation).

-Example:

Server #1 has 300 level 50 players.

75%, or 225, are Damage classes and 25%, or 75, are a mix of Tanks and Healers.

-Right now, that means that 37 groups can run simultaneously. Which means 114 (38%) Damage classes will be left out still Looking for Group.

Server #2 has 600 level 50 players

82%, or 492, are Damage classes and 18%, or 108, are a mix of Tanks and Healers.

-Right now, that means that 54 groups can run simultaneously. Which means that 330 (55%) Damage classes will be left out still Looking for Group.

If we combine Server #1 and Server #2 together in the same pool under a cross-server Looking for Group tool, we'll have the following results:

-900 player pool.
    • 717 are Damage Classes. (79.67%)
      183 are mix of Tanks and healers. (20.33%)
      Only 91 groups can form at one time.
      444 Damage classes will be still in the Looking for Group without a party. (49.33%)

Although it looks like the server with a lesser percentage of Tanks and Healers is getting a better deal by having a larger pool to them, they're also adding into their own pool the number of Damage players the other server has that are still waiting for group. They're essentially adding to their own problem with an external fix that could have a higher resolution percentage if done internally.

I theorize that the problem is that many are not quite familiar with the understanding of what a dungeon or group are (especially when combining the two).
    Dungeon: : a dark usually underground prison or vault
    Group: : two or more figures forming a complete unit in a composition
    Now let's combine the two and it would be as follows:
    Group Dungeon: a dark usually underground prison or vault in which it takes two or more figures forming a complete unit in a composition.
    This is what we have in-game. But, too many are set on the minor parts of a Group Dungeon that are only subsequent to what the objective is. The mindset of the player has become one of individualism and selfishness, not of group objective participation or social interaction. If a change of perspective in the thinking of how the game works and as to where the center lies, then a shift in the social order of the game's players may occur.

So, next time you're playing for a while, waiting for a group as three or four keep announcing the need of a Tank or Healer, ask yourself, "Does the minimalist time spent playing in a group while at a lengthened time waiting for said group offset my personal preferences to playing one particular style of the game?" (i.e. "Should I play a healer or tank and play more often or stay where I am and keep on waiting?).
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=722134&dateline=12977  88610
    "Your worth consists in what you are and not in what you have."
    "What you are will show in what you do."
    --Thomas A. Edison

This doesn't actually do anything to fix the problem (4 hours with the new alt, queued as both tank and heals, no dice). Cross server lfg would fix that in a jiff.
    Jaya
    Tertian of the <Children of Mechanus>
    Kaleida (Defiant)

TL;DR: Play a role you don't enjoy, or you have no right to complain.

Hows NO strike you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
    Cross server lfg would fix that in a jiff.
    No it wouldn't because If I'm going to tank its going to be for people I know and like, not some cross server baddies.

Plane Walker

Personally, I don't do dungeons primarily because they're just too long. They should have made twice as many, with all of them half the length (and then half the reward for each as well...I'm not advocating making it easier.)

With regard to the topic at hand, I think that most people are intimidated by queuing as a tank or healer.

Ascendant

Didn't read all that stuff ( the main lines ), but people won't roll heals because they want to kill stuff, and people won't roll tanks because they're not very good in PVP. If you don't have heals, you die in 0.1 seconds to focus fire as a non-tank and in 0.2 seconds as a tank. If you do have heals, you die in like 30 seconds as a non-tank and 32 seconds as a tank. Heals ( or the lack of heals ) makes for all the survivability. Armor and health pool don't mean all that much.
    Fix it, and you'll get more tanks.

And for heals, well, same problem in all games, MMO's, RPG, FPS (like TF2) with heals... Most people play games to kill stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by somerandomnamee View Post
    Didn't read all that stuff ( the main lines ), but people won't roll heals because they want to kill stuff, and people won't roll tanks because they're not very good in PVP. If you don't have heals, you die in 0.1 seconds to focus fire as a non-tank and in 0.2 seconds as a tank. If you do have heals, you die in like 30 seconds as a non-tank and 32 seconds as a tank. Heals ( or the lack of heals ) makes for all the survivability. Armor and health pool don't mean all that much.
    Fix it, and you'll get more tanks.

And for heals, well, same problem in all games, MMO's, RPG, FPS (like TF2) with heals... Most people play games to kill stuff.
    This thread is about PvE, not PvP. I don't play a healer anymore because I was sick of everything being MY fault. DPS dies to fire they wouldn't move out of? My fault. Tank is under toughness cap? My fault. I oom when a dungeon boss takes 2x as long as it should? My fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Justicars can also do a support role. I have a Shaman/Justicar just for that reason. Does pretty good dps/heals.
    I'm full of twit.
    Aleve the Cleric // Elder of Valhallas Fallen // Wolfsbane [Site] [Disbanded]
    Eff Blizzard.

No you play a tank or healer.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Naronas View Post
    This thread is about PvE, not PvP. I don't play a healer anymore because I was sick of everything being MY fault. DPS dies to fire they wouldn't move out of? My fault. Tank is under toughness cap? My fault. I oom when a dungeon boss takes 2x as long as it should? My fault.
    This. I don't heal because I know I couldn't do it well enough, and I would affect my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of others. I don't tank mostly because I hate the downtime involved when levelling and I feel like a joke in pvp.

If you but have clunky workarounds to heal (mouseovers? lol), it's not worth it.

I rarely heal others in Rift due to not having a healbox. Even EQ2 has some form of an healing UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
    This doesn't actually do anything to fix the problem (4 hours with the new alt, queued as both tank and heals, no dice). Cross server lfg would fix that in a jiff.
    You do not know math do you?

lets say you have 10 servers. lets say the average number of dps waiting for a group is 200 per server. Make it cross server and instead of 200 dps in individual queues you have 2000 sitting in one big queue. The lack of logic going on with the whole cross server thing boggles my mind.

As for the OP, you do know why the class system was made the way it was right? Back in the day casual players complained because they didn't have time to make alts and so if they only had a dps class they had issues that harder core players with alts of different types didn't have. So Rift comes along and takes this reason away. Now we still have people rolling and playing nothing but dps. If you are a Rogue and don't want the pressure tank position get a bard build and queue for support. Same with an Mage and get an Archon build. Cleric? well they have the most healing souls of any calling so that is a no brainer actually. Warrior, um get a tank build. Really if you PUG and don't do pre made guild groups there is only one reason why people are having troubles. It's them. It takes NOTHING to get a second role, and with how they nerfed the stuffing out of instances you don't have to be good, just fair at playing a class.
    Last edited by Galibier; 05-22-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne View Post
    If you but have clunky workarounds to heal (mouseovers? lol), it's not worth it.

I rarely heal others in Rift due to not having a healbox. Even EQ2 has some form of an healing UI.
    Make it a raid? BAM heal boxes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    You do not know math do you?

lets say you have 10 servers. lets say the average number of dps waiting for a group is 200 per server. Make it cross server and instead of 200 dps in individual queues you have 2000 sitting in one big queue. The lack of logic going on with the whole cross server thing boggles my mind.
    Which is no different than if they were waiting individually on the other servers...but now there's zero chance of the other server tanks getting them a group.

Logic is only as good as it's applied and that logic fails.

200 dps on server A
    100 dps on server B
    300 dps out of Tank AA and BB on server C. Server C gets the queues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne View Post
    Which is no different than if they were waiting individually on the other servers...but now there's zero chance of the other server tanks getting them a group.

Logic is only as good as it's applied and that logic fails.

200 dps on server A
    100 dps on server B
    300 dps out of Tank AA and BB on server C. Server C gets the queues.
    The thing is I look at the game as a whole. I could give 2 diddly dangs about an individual server at this point. They need to consolidate servers or allow transfers to get the low pop servers gone. Until this happens some of the ridiculously low pop servers give bad data. As looking at the servers individually can skew data, then you have to look at them as a whole.

The fact that the same problem still exists in WoW (dps waiting) even with Cross server I think lends far more weight to my argument than yours.

Also when it comes to game wide changes Devs do not say "hey what goes on on server x and why goes on on server y" they look at game wide trends based on averages. That is what statistics are all about.
    Last edited by Galibier; 05-22-2011 at 05:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast