+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The gap between "newbie" and t1(and beyond).Issues as mage and cleric.

Soulwalker

Default The gap between "newbie" and t1(and beyond).Issues as mage and cleric.

So yeah I managed to power rush my lvls on my mage, get capped on professions, farm a bit of rep, then got bored due to being unable to play the game as I like it: dungeon spam.

As dps you can't find a group on imperium(EU), as a healer(chloro but even as cleric as written below) I can't keep people up enough, gear "suckiness" is just blocking me right now.So I thought I'd spend my time rolling a cleric since I always liked the support-dps archetype(shadowpriest on wow, battlepriest on ragnarok online, etc) and again,50...No dps slot of course, and as healer(tried warden/sent as suggested in 3x/3x guide, didn't work, now changed to puri/sent but still have to try), best I could do was wipe a lot and somehow survive on a couple bosses on realm of the fae t1.

Is it me failing to grasp some basic concepts of the game or what?I've read the bluedots guide to get geared but that requires insane rep farming, as if wow didn't teach that THING IS BORING AS HELL AND NOT FUN(really read some publications on the concept of anti-fun, like a "theory of fun for game design" this is a serious remark I'm doing to trion worlds, because in 2011 having a huge grind as that is just not fun anymore...in any aspect possible.), or you gotta suck it and deal with it.

Also I don't have a "active"guild for a couple reasons, and one is the gear gap.You're badly geared, we don't get you, without a guild you're stuck in pugs, which don't start or you can't make it work.

I rarely rant about something in games, becaus eI just put my sunglasses and deal with it the hard way, had to make myself be accepted on wow as a shadowpriest in vanilla before it came actually good, and never complained publicly but here on rift I'm heavily not getting what should I be doing.

I can't even make normal AP or CC start because not enough tanks/healers/players generally.I'm really lost.

I also want to make a point because I feel most people don't get this:

HEALING IN MOST GAME IS NOT FUN

I really want to underline it because it seems everyone just has the solution for parties: GO TANK OR HEALER! YAY! what if I hate and find healing role dumb and wish it'd be removed from mmorpgs altogether?I just have to suck it and deal with it.... Basically the deal right now is either don't play or play something you despise....

I'm not really getting something, I never had this happen to me in any mmorpgs and I'm really baffled on what are the common answers...

Mages are by far the single easiest class to gear up pre-experts. You can have the gear to run T2's as a mage without ever stepping into a T1.

1. Go To Auction House
    2. Buy Gear
    3. ???
    4. Profit

Clerics aren't much further off.

As for not wanting to wait in Que sorry but that's the price you pay for playing dps. I in honesty almost envy your problem. My server is so dead it's a 40+ min wait no matter what you que as.
    Last edited by Romulus; 05-22-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Soulwalker

Honestly,

If pugs and LFG aren't working, finding a guild or regular group is the best way to go. Yeah, it's probably tough to be under-geared and get in a progression guild unless they are short on members, but a lot of guilds are more casual and more interested in who you are than what gear you wear. Just don't join a new guild and demand or expect help getting gear. Chances are if you participate in the guild and are willing to run dungeons it will happen.

The core of our guild is solid T2 , but we run T1's a lot because they are quick and less stressful. As a result, taking a new 50 guildy with us, gets them experience and gear in a hurry. This weekend, we took a new 50 rogue from doing normal dungeons to running T2's. all they had to do was have fun and do their part by equipping runes and essences to help make their toon meet the gear caps. For healing or DPS classes it does help if you spend a little time making sure your build and rotation is putting out decent healing or DPS. It's bit disappointing when a toon in a group is contributing far less than they should for their class and gear. I don't necessarily advocate cookie cutter specs, but they are good for establishing what your baseline healing or DPS is for your gear. Their are some hybrid builds that may seem interesting in theory but in practice result in very sub par results.

As for being a new healer, the beauty of running in guild groups is they are often more open to using a backup healer to give you time to learn and get the gear necessary to solo heal. Although healing has gotten much easier in 1.2 it still takes practice. For a mage or cleric consider DPSing if you can get a spot until you build up your stats a bit as that will make healing a lot less stressful.

Ascendant

The main issue is that you rushed. You missed out on several ways one could obtain decent gear. Try finding a group to do Expert Rifts with. Look for Kerns that can possibly drop epic quality loot. Finish your Epic Saga quests. It seems to me that you merely want to get geared quickly without putting out much effort. Your best bet is to find a casual guild and make some friends and attempt to get them to carry you. All the friends I have in this game I made while leveling up.

Quote Originally Posted by Caydin View Post
    The main issue is that you rushed. You missed out on several ways one could obtain decent gear. Try finding a group to do Expert Rifts with. Look for Kerns that can possibly drop epic quality loot. Finish your Epic Saga quests. It seems to me that you merely want to get geared quickly without putting out much effort. Your best bet is to find a casual guild and make some friends and attempt to get them to carry you. All the friends I have in this game I made while leveling up.
    Withouth rep, you can easily get nice gear from Rare Planar Vendors and crafting. As cleric, I got crafted epic shoulders, blue pants, planar helm and gloves and quested for a weapon. Which was enough that I can go to a t1 as dps or support (justicar can join as support btw, and helps a lot when healer is not geared).
    The Guardians are short sighted zealots who refuse to see the bigger picture, and the Defiant are so focused on the bigger picture that they take enormous risks.
    -- Renashin

You're playing the game wrong. If you think you're ready for experts because your Lv50 your doing it wrong.

Also -- if you dont like "grind" -- an MMORPG isn't what your looking for. MMORPG's, and about 99.99% of "RPG's" in general, even single player ones, are about grinding.

Go back to Call of Duty.
    Beta Participated: SW:TOR, RIFT,EQ2:SF, EQ2:TSO, AoC, STO, GW, RO
    Veteran of: SWTOR, AOC (again), STO, EQ2, LOTRO, WAR, AoC, Van, DAoC, CoH, WOW, GW, Lin2, SWG, Lin1, AO, RO, EQ, UO, Medievia

I would also suggest playing your mage instead of your cleric. Getting gear is hard and working towards your goals takes a lot of effort, so you should play a class and role that you like. Make it work for you and it'll be a lot more fun than picking a class because it's easier to find groups - you'll just get a lot of groups but be miserable doing it. As for healing in general in this or other MMO's, there are people that actually enjoy it a lot, myself being one of them. Don't force yourself into playing a class/role you don't enjoy or the whole game will suck.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Grufftech View Post
    You're playing the game wrong. If you think you're ready for experts because your Lv50 your doing it wrong.

Also -- if you dont like "grind" -- an MMORPG isn't what your looking for. MMORPG's, and about 99.99% of "RPG's" in general, even single player ones, are about grinding.

Go back to Call of Duty.
    Just to answer to you and to everyone in general:

I never played cod because I find it sucks, but you really are saying to a player that has played 5 mmorpgs "go back to cod if you don't like grinding"? seriously? I know mmorpgs are a grind.I never found a mmorpg that requires an infinite grind to get a single reputation item changed in a normal not even heroic/expert/callitwhatyouwant instance.That is purely bad design.Glorified for a chest with order of mathos that is barely an upgrade from crafted ones IF, it is an upgrade?What did they smoke for that idea?Glorified is something like 100k reputation from when you finish quests more or so, that is a VALUABLE grind am I right?

Also, I'm 50 with some crafted gear, can't find upgrades on quests, and only some pieces are ugprades in normal instances, I over"gear" the requirements in lfg, I'm not ready for t1s?Should I be full t3 epics to join?Are you again serious or just trolling? I never had in wow a problem joining heroics with half green blues and quested/crafted gear, why on earth does that makes sense now in rift? And no it's not a harder game, done a coupel experts they are just more time consuming and require more gear.

Now that I fed the troll to everyone else that helped, and tried to be helpfull, thanks for the insight.

Just to answer randomly:

I power-leveled through my lvls since it can take DAYS to find a party beyond normal IT at lvl 18, so I wasn't in the mood to take weeks just to try out a cleric at 50.I did every quest I could excluding instances and foudn evne myself short on exp at 49 and had to aoe grind from 30% to 100% so yeah I didn't really miss much around...I wasn't aware of all the good crafts, I had seen some for cloth but they seemed "meh at best" but when I checked drops from instances I udnerstood they were even better so yeah, working on those.

About the healing thing: to me any game with a healing role is bound to fail somehow, and I speak as a learning game designer and that qualifies heavily on my "anti-fun" concept, together with somehow the tank role.In 2011 I still wonder why people love to play a bot role than a real one, but everyone takes it as he wants so I'm not saying you're wrong I'm right, I'm just saying I'll probably quit if I'm forced into healing as I'm right now.

about the cleric vs mage, I'm not sure on which I like since I've always been a non-healing-support and that qualified as shadow priest or battlepriest or hammer-dude on war, so I thought cleric might suit me best since the squishy nuker always made me cry inside a bit...so it's not I changed from mage to cleric since I wanted to find more parties(I never queue as healer or tank if I can) but I'm still not sure that's why I included them both.

I'm also using some good specs for both char, sc/ele for dungeons and chloro/lock for healing, on cleric I've got druid/sham/inq for ST dmg, and duracell build for aoe.tried warden/sent but switched to purif/sent for healing, so yeah abusing cookie cutters but still...

btw on a last note, if I could find a party in 40 minutes of queue as healer I'd be even happy, we're speaking about hrs if not days for a single instance perma-lfg and spamming /4 to find people.And they usually rage-quit when they see I'm picked as healer and can't solo heal it.

I still find the game having a bit of an issue on the entry into t1s as equip though <.<

Ascendant

there is no pre-experts

you could do experts at level 30 if you could get in

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Neviskio View Post

I've read the bluedots guide to get geared but that requires insane rep farming

No, it doesn't. If you're having trouble obtaining Decorated notoriety (which should take you a whole 1 to 2 days worth of dailies, tops), then your attention span is simply too short for -any- grind, be it rep, gear, plat, or progression.

Perhaps you should read that guide again.
    4/4 DH | 4/4 GP | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS 3.5/10 HK

Telaran

You just need practice. Do a few expert ITs and KBs then eventually work your way towards fae. Healers have a pretty stressful and thankless job. That's why there's not a lot of them, but the main thing is to practice. And stick to one calling/build at a time. Warden, sent, chloros all have different play styles. Don't confuse yourself by constantly switching.

If you're still finding gear an issue, switch to dps to get some gear then go back to healing. Don't be afraid to ask for support heals as well. Lastly, find a good tank and take some stress off of yourself. A good tank can carry a healer like a good healer can carry a tank. You're not helping your confidence by running with pugs. Sure, a couple of pug runs are fine only untill you find good people to party with continuously. So there's some advice coming from a tank who started small.

Chloros can MH any expert the instant you hit 50 as long as you have some quest/instance blues.

The day I hit 50 my first instance was xCC. I MHd with a bard OHs NP
    I hit 50 with 600 SP though

Quote Originally Posted by Neviskio View Post
    About the healing thing: to me any game with a healing role is bound to fail somehow, and I speak as a learning game designer and that qualifies heavily on my "anti-fun" concept, together with somehow the tank role.In 2011 I still wonder why people love to play a bot role than a real one, but everyone takes it as he wants so I'm not saying you're wrong I'm right, I'm just saying I'll probably quit if I'm forced into healing as I'm right now.
    I don't see the logic here. How is having a healing role in a game fail? It's impossible not to have a healing role, or a tanking role for that matter. They are also far from bot roles - dps is more of a bot role - you can spam the same few buttons over and over in a rotation and watch tv at the same time, and still do well. Tanks and Healer's need to be good or people will die. They need to know how to play their class, have proper specs and gear, and be able to react quickly to changing circumstances. A crappy dps is much more acceptable than a crappy healer or tank, because healer's and tanks are much more important and difficult to play. Would you prefer to play the game with just dps toons? That would be interesting. There would be a lot of dying happening.

You clearly don't like either and you hate grinding too, so I don't know why you're playing. What will you do when you get geared? Do the same instances, WFs, etc. over and over - more grind. I was actually going to be helpful until I read this post.
    Last edited by Leiloni; 05-23-2011 at 10:06 AM.

The day i hit 50 i went to the AH and bought mats for the following items, which i had my guild's outfitter make for me. total cost ~50plat

darkcloth shroud
    darkcloth leggings
    hood of the flowing dark
    robes of the flowing dark
    darkcloth boots (unsure the name, but its the same "set")
    a staff

and dont forget runes and augments

went to stillmore and bought two of the rep vendor rings (getting honored is easy to do just by questing to 50)

i then queued for T2's and had no problems. not once did i ever step foot in a T1 or bother grinding for anything. i dont see why so many people in this game have problems getting gear when they hit 50

hint: if you want to get groups fast make an archon support build a chloro heal build and a dps build, queue as all 3, if you get chosen as support then just ask and usually the group will say to go dps spec. if you get chosen as healer then its also not a big deal as chloro is an Iwin 1 button mashing class
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 05-23-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
    I don't see the logic here. How is having a healing role in a game fail? It's impossible not to have a healing role, or a tanking role for that matter. They are also far from bot roles - dps is more of a bot role - you can spam the same few buttons over and over in a rotation and watch tv at the same time, and still do well. Tanks and Healer's need to be good or people will die. They need to know how to play their class, have proper specs and gear, and be able to react quickly to changing circumstances. A crappy dps is much more acceptable than a crappy healer or tank, because healer's and tanks are much more important and difficult to play. Would you prefer to play the game with just dps toons? That would be interesting. There would be a lot of dying happening.

You clearly don't like either and you hate grinding too, so I don't know why you're playing. What will you do when you get geared? Do the same instances, WFs, etc. over and over - more grind. I was actually going to be helpful until I read this post.
    I agree with the guy as well and had been thinking about this for awhile.

The problem is that the majority of people really don't like healing. In past games, where the healing class was balanced, healers were usually far and few. It's just usually way more fun to be a DPS character.

In DAOC for example, if you played a healer, that is what you did, and you pretty much had to farm things many levels lower than you to be able to kill anything, all the while screaming - proc weapon proc because your proc was your biggest DPS. If you were found solo in PvP, easy kill for pretty much any class. But in the group setting, you were big time loved for obvious reasons.

That is how clerics are in a game that actually revolves around the team(doac also gave the group a few more abilities to protect clerics). Not enough clerics was a popular complaint. Which the clerics actually playing didn't mind at all, as it just increased their value. You log in, and rather than hitting for a LFG tool, you got multiple group offers.

To offset this, games started changing the healer class. Made it so they could solo and kill things more. WoW had the shadow priest and then you could respec pretty easily later and so on. And the healer part was a just a tad overpowered(not as bad as this game) and they were able to really hold their own 1vs1 if they were decent(more in the case of bad players, but that was basically any class).

All this is to entice people to play the class. Because a true support class is rarely played. As much love as bard and minstrel get from DAOC for example, the people who played them full time wasn't that high. But they were extremely loved when they did because of what they brought to the group.

This game has just taken it to the extreme to the point where healing has become a bane on it. And when it gets to the point where you have to make a class this overpowered in order to entice people to play it, then the healer less game option becomes a bit more viable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast