+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The ability to switch souls on whim kind of ruined the game for me.

Soulwalker

Default The ability to switch souls on whim kind of ruined the game for me.

I feel like there is no reason to play just one soul and there is a serious lack of originality. I think that they should have done it like old school SWG in my opinion. Does anyone else agree? The idea of being able to be a tank, healer, and DPS all at once and the fact that certain souls aren't viable 1-50 makes me feel meh about making a specific character. I like specialization.

Nothing is stopping you from playing one primary soul.

I'm not sure how you can possibly say there is a lack of originality when there are so many potential viable builds.

1-50, every soul is viable. Whether they are optimal could be a question, but viable? Every soul is viable.

Nothing is stopping you from specializing.

Once you get to 50, you can specialize even further via gear. Specialized tank and dps gear. PvP gear.

Ascendant

you think that all games have to be exactly the same, without any changes? so why you changed game?
    if rift dont do it for you, go back to wathever you liked, there's a few hundred towsands other peoples wich love it exactly for the mechanics you dont like.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Plane Touched

The ability to change roles is the number 1 plus for me in this game - and the reason I'll probably find it very difficult to switch to another game later on.

I just love the flexibility of switching roles to suit the boss and often play 3 roles (or occasionally 4) in a single dungeon to maximise our chances/efficiency.

Rift Chaser

In most case this statement is untrue but in this case it go back to WoW,War,AoC,Ever quest 2,Allods,Aion,etc...They are million games of market that have game play you want why try to turn Rifts into of those you like specialization the tons of options but only couple of games likes Rifts which give u freedom.Either force yourself to stick with what you like or quit.

Trion kills a puppy for every hour you spend in the same role.
    True story.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rounin View Post
    Trion kills a puppy for every hour you spend in the same role.
    True story.
    humm.... then... would it be a bit insensitive to ask for the recipe they use?
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilhumbug View Post
    I feel like there is no reason to play just one soul and there is a serious lack of originality. I think that they should have done it like old school SWG in my opinion. Does anyone else agree? The idea of being able to be a tank, healer, and DPS all at once and the fact that certain souls aren't viable 1-50 makes me feel meh about making a specific character. I like specialization.
    Friend, when there is no reason to play just one soul there will still be originality, but if you're not an original person then you're SOL.

Personality, Skill, Friendship. That's what makes you who you are when you're afraid of just blending in.

Rift Disciple

Actually i enjoy the ability to switch between souls/specs on a whim. Tank in our group was having lag issues, so being the only warrior (with a tank spec) in the party i switched and took his place while he did dps. Did the same when I was on my dps cleric, switched out to main heal when our bard wanted to stop healing. It adds alot to the game imo when your not stuck in one role and can switch out.

why play a game thats heavily advertised with a feature u dont like.
    1/10 troll

Shield of Telara

The idea of being able to switch roles at any stage is good.

The only down side to this is the fact it is kinda easy mode and lazy mode. Basically once you have gotten all four classes to 50, that is it and you can then switch to which style you wish to play.

So instead of getting a Rogue Assassin up to 50 and a Rogue Bard to 50, you just get a Rogue there... It creates less time grinding and questing to level up and more time to enjoy things. Good idea, but I bet a lot of people who just grind to get to levels will be bored or less interested once they have all 4 classes maxed.

The soul/role system is the only reason I'm still playing the game!

I can see where you're coming from, OP. I love the Teleporting Sniper* build so much I can hardly burden myself with swapping to any of my other 4 builds.

*sarcasm tag, may require knowledge from Rogue forums

Shadowlander

Changing souls at any given time is a horrible idea.
    Sir Rhaeger, The Light Bringer
    Guardian Warrior of <Stout>
    "I am an evil man, toward evil men."

Being able to change class on the same character is what make me enjoy FFXI so much more than any other MMO.

Trion expended that concept even more with the mix/match of the souls system which is pretty amazing.

And like others said, if you want to stay in one role well it's your choice and doesn't make the game less interesting while others can enjoy more choices and diversity in gameplay

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast