+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Rift PvP is currently as balanced as I've ever seen in an MMO

  1. #1
    Ascendant Fujitasix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,416

    Default Rift PvP is currently as balanced as I've ever seen in an MMO

    I'm not going to bore you with my laundry list of previous MMO PvP experiences, but Rift PvP is currently as good as I've ever played.

    While there will always be outliers and extenuating circumstances, the overall feel of combat is very satisfying.

    Crowd control is still viable and necessary, but it isn't the overbearing requirement to dictate your builds, forcing you to apply as much as possible or talent for additional immunities and escapes.

    Damage is very reasonable in most circumstances. Yeah, you'll eat a big fulminate or a huge string of crits now and then, but it's not the norm. Most exchanges require using all of your utility at opportune moments, and even with overly powerful macro capabilities in the game, it's plainly obvious when you're fighting a skilled opponent.

    Healing is powerful, and it needs to be in order to be valuable. Team play is however much more potent - I've heard geared healers complain about getting crushed in seconds every time they leave the spawn (and the scoreboard reflecting their bad outing), but in the next match they'll get more support and feel like they can't be stopped (as the often victorious scoreboard will agree). It's frustrating to be on the losing side of this equation, but just about everyone can opt to heal more or use their control more intelligently.

    Utility is fun. I see crazy builds of teleporting, sprinting, and incapacitating flag carriers finessing their way across a battlefield loaded against them. I see powerhouse tanks eating all sorts of damage with a chuckle as they steamroll back to the cap. Their support and pursuit all have an array of options that make each cap or carry more than just a healing and DPS contest.

    Swapping souls on the battlefield is a fantastic option. Their team is loaded with X, so you bust out your Y. Mounting while in combat is a great option. If you created the breathing space, you've earned your escape.

    Is it perfect? No, but it's damn good. While I'd like to see more PvP venues, I'm satisfied Trion has great things in store and a very solid foundation to build on.

  2. #2
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    Their team is loaded with X, so you bust out your Y.
    No dinner first?
    Last edited by Dalaen; 05-20-2011 at 11:23 AM.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple Pinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    197

    Default

    They need to reduce the DR timer to ~16 seconds and see how it goes from there.

  4. #4
    Sez
    Sez is offline
    Ascendant Sez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalaen View Post
    No dinner first?
    No way sweetheart. You've got your X showing, and I have a raging Y to counter it.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

    - Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

  5. #5
    Shadowlander Zeidolion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Aside from CC should be more valuable, I agree!
    Zeidolion - Mage - Lotham (PvP)

  6. #6
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    I disagree, reasons are in my sig. TTK is way too fast in this game, burst damage is too high, the ranged don't suffer any of the drawbacks a ranged class should suffer, aoe's do as much damage as single target abilities....there are a ton of reasons why this game is nowhere near balanced, and the biggest indicator now are the solid yellow warfronts.

  7. #7
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    520

    Default

    I think in Rift, the role you play in PVP is more important than in other games. There is a place for tanks and support people in Rift PVP and I like that. It takes some getting used to especially when you come from a game like WoW where everything is "lets see who can melt faces fastest".

    When I stopped playing my warrior as the damage machine I thought it should be, and understood my best role in PVP is to become the healer's worst nightmare, I started to enjoy PVP a lot more and the groups I was in started to win a lot more.

    The only thing I think that brings the PVP down in Rift is some of the maps, but the class balance is certainly getting there.

  8. #8
    Sez
    Sez is offline
    Ascendant Sez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vember View Post
    The biggest indicator now are the solid yellow warfronts.
    Instead of the solid red warfronts, or the solid purple last patch? No. Rogues have always been the most popular class. You are just using that fact as a convenience.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

    - Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

  9. #9
    Ascendant TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,006

    Default

    Shadowbane had much better balance than Trion when it comes to pvp.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

  10. #10
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Instead of the solid red warfronts, or the solid purple last patch? No. Rogues have always been the most popular class. You are just using that fact as a convenience.
    Its never been this bad, don't be oblivious to the obvious.

  11. #11
    Banned Sawdomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    844

    Default

    Yeah, basically warriors are totally useless right now because they totally rely on melee range and have no tools to stay there thanks to the CC/DR changes.

    There's no way to really close the 30m gap with competent players. Charge and all that is just garbage because half the time it doesn't work because the target is immune to CC, somehow ruining the actual charge component of my bullrush and shield charge. Same goes with riftwalk, riftsummon, all the damage components on my spear spells (except flame obviously), etc. Of course knockback isn't affected by the first two phases of the DR system, and is exclusively advantageous to ranged/casters. The new CC system wrecked warriors--no stealth, no healing, no survivability with damage specs, no range. At least in 1.1 we could peel people and have a chance to keep SLI up and do some damage. Not anymore. Snares on DR for chrissake!

    All warrior damage relies on this 12-second rotation maintaining SLI, no matter what souls are used. No matter what. You'll deal 33% less damage all the time if you don't use it. (Approximating 48% to 50% -- the original 50% damage buff is 33% of the total "150%" damage with the buff -- so 33% damage is the real loss in damage from not having up SLI.) No class is that dependent on some crappy manually sustained buff (3 APs, every 12 seconds--effectively restricting us to one real finisher every 12 seconds, and that's in a perfect world where you don't get knocked back and can start on your target's backside every time).

    Without effective CC or a lot more survivability, we can't do squat. Without SLI, without some real burst that isn't forced into a rotation, we're just useless damage sponges. Something's got to get a serious buff. The class is just useless right now. If you think it's just a bunch of noobs crying, go ahead and roll one yourself. Without a premade providing some healers and rdps to back you up, you're useless. No other class is that weak/dependent. Go ahead, try it yourself and prove it wrong. Came up with the warrior's pyro, ranger, assassin, inquisitor, bard, stormcaller, purifier. We've got nothing but pve specs, some chump hybrid pet spec for dps and then tank. Most limited calling by a mile. Useless in pvp, no variance in pve.

  12. #12
    Sez
    Sez is offline
    Ascendant Sez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vember View Post
    Its never been this bad, don't be oblivious to the obvious.
    Give me 10 screenshots of back to back to back warfronts (with different people in them) where it's more than 60% rogues on both, or either team, and I will eat one of the socks I am currently wearing.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

    - Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

  13. #13
    Ascendant Stigas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    At launch: All red
    1.1 All Purple and Green
    1.2 All Yellow and Green

    TASTE THE RAINBOW
    Stigas - 50 Defiant Mage - Rank 5
    <PeeKay>
    US-Dayblind (PvP)

  14. #14
    Banned Sawdomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    At launch: All red
    1.1 All Purple and Green
    1.2 All Yellow and Green

    TASTE THE RAINBOW
    I love this garbage myth people throw around. Because there were so many people at level cap with high-end gear, right? Because everyone actually knew what the metagame was like hardly a few weeks into the game, right?

    Or you mean a bunch of no-skill noobs came to bawl on the forums because a level 26 champ with a blackwood cleaver just 5-shot their half-health mage with off-GCDs and a finisher? At least in 1.0 warriors needed to get in range to deal damage and were pegged to an attack point system. Mages back then and especially now can just blow people up from range without being limited by attack points, dodges, parries, armor mitigation, etc.

    People need to wake up and realize what's going on in pvp. All these spoiled casters need to roll a warrior and get a taste of what the game's like without getting everything effortlessly.

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vember View Post
    Trion broke the four most important ruls of pvp:
    1) Ranged dps should never have more burst or sustained dps then melee in pvp. The whole fact melee have to get in MELEE range and fight through tons of CC seems to elude the developers.
    2) Ranged dps or Rogue stealthers should never have more survivablity then upfront melee toons.
    3) Melee dps (or any class) should never be able to chain stun and kill another class. Although this playstyle appeals to the sloped forhead crowd most of the paying customers think it is stupid.
    4) AOE damage should never even come close to approximating single target damage.
    ok sooo lets go over your sig:
    1)dr for 30 seconds removes CC seems to elude tons of cc
    2)ok so u say melee doesnt have more survivability yet u fail to realize the tank specs are both MELEE. ranged have to blow cooldowns for brief reduction or immunities.
    3)melee dps (or any other class) cant chain stun kill another class if the person has break free and cool downs available
    4)while aoe damage is to high it doesnt change the fact that single target damage IS always higher to a single target then aoe is. learn to spec.

    so i just went through ur "sig" and u must be playing a different game then me. how can u have 1300 posts yet u know so little. go troll wow forums pls

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts