+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: Cleric or Warrior TANK?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default Cleric or Warrior TANK?

    So I tried to make a proper poll, but this forum doesn't support it.

    So! Moving forward - Cleric tank or warrior tank?

    - If I made my Cleric a tank role, it would be primarily of Justicar soul.
    - My current Warrior tank soul is a mixture of Reaver, Paladin, and a little Void Knight. (AoE tank)
    - Both my Warrior and my Cleric are lvl 25, approx

    Feel free to post a single word answer. Further feedback is more than welcome though I'd love to hear your reasoning.

  2. #2
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    602

    Default

    If you believe your true calling in life is to be a tank, always and forever... Warrior.

    If you want to do anything else other than tank once in awhile... Cleric.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Cleric is a very poor pve class in general i dont recommend it.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomstar View Post
    Cleric is a very poor pve class in general i dont recommend it.
    Except that it isn't.

    Chloros can heal expert content just fine. Plus they bring buffs or DPS or both.
    Warriors and Rogues both tank magical damage better than the Clerics.
    EVERYBODY gets more DPS than clerics.

    But when it comes time to keep the tank alive while a dragon is beating on him (raids) you get to go crawling back to the clerics.

    Clerics can do everything, but they're the best at nothing (raid tank healing excepted).
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

    I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

  5. #5
    Plane Touched Odinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    Clerics can do everything, but they're the best at nothing (raid tank healing excepted).
    Pretty much this. So if you want to be a tank, go Warrior... or Rogue.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    Except that it isn't.

    Chloros can heal expert content just fine. Plus they bring buffs or DPS or both.
    Warriors and Rogues both tank magical damage better than the Clerics.
    EVERYBODY gets more DPS than clerics.

    But when it comes time to keep the tank alive while a dragon is beating on him (raids) you get to go crawling back to the clerics.

    Clerics can do everything, but they're the best at nothing (raid tank healing excepted).
    What you just described is a poor class to me.

    Mages: very good dps - very good support - good healing.

    Rogues: Very good dps - very good support - very good tanking

    Warriors: Good melee dps - Very good tanking - Mediorce support options but decent dps go along with them.

    Clerics: Good melee dps - Very good healing - Poor ranged dps - poor tanking - no real support options.

    Warriors are actually the other class i wouldn't recommend rolling since they are barely any better off then clerics. If you want to be tank pick a rogue and if you want to heal pick a mage imo. Thats if you want to actually have a versatile class and not be a one trick pony.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Clerics, more utility in the long run. Dps, Heal, tank and more ways to do either of them.

    Warriors, Dps or tank, while you can shuffle souls around its still much the same thing on all of them, also it seems in any of your souls some one eles can do it better than you can.

    But your choice, some people like warrior (I do) but they really dont have anything to offer the player in terms of unique playstyle. Go forth, ugg smash target till you get 3 combo points, ugg smash again, repeat.

    Personally I think they should not have to do a combo point system with them, but thats just personal prefrences.

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    I had a level 50 cleric, which I played from beta 2 until about 2 weeks ago, now I'm playing a 50 mage and leveling a rogue to tank with. I do like the cleric class, and if you're a good player, you can make them shine. But if you're a good player (i.e min-max) and you're after effectiveness, you will be constantly looking at the other classes and wishing you could do this or that. To be quite honest, the only thing I miss about the cleric is the option to tank, in spite of the fact that they have a gaping hole in their magical defenses, I just really enjoyed how they played, and the options with the spec.

    Despite only having one tanking soul, the number of ways to play that one soul, and the number of different things you can sub in for different effects is staggering. The variety, and the fact that I just love tanking is what really made the class for me. Healing on it is a boring snoozefest, especially now after the dungeons have had padding wrapped around anything that could hurt you.

    Having said that, I like the mage also. I do more damage. I can heal well enough for dungeons and also put out up to 2000 DPS while I'm doing it (large packs of weak mobs). I just cant tank very well.

    So far atleast, Im liking the rogue for tanking also. It is alot more involved than the cleric tank was and seems to be even more fun with all the teleports that you get.

    As far as tanking goes, it seems that Warriors have the best magical/physical mitigation (only one at a time though) and the most versatility. Rogues have the most hitpoints and the best overall mitigation and mobility and Clerics have good physical mitigation and heals... and melt if someone with a spell even looks at them.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

    I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Ianto Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,018

    Default

    Between the two, Warrior. Clerics have major aggro problems; the parry cap is quite low and block isn't easy to get; they have very weak non-physical mitigation; they have little utility and mobility.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    As far as tanking goes, it seems that Warriors have the best magical/physical mitigation (only one at a time though) and the most versatility. Rogues have the most hitpoints and the best overall mitigation and mobility and Clerics have good physical mitigation and heals... and melt if someone with a spell even looks at them.
    The sensible Rogue builds will have less HP generally than the common Warrior builds (unless they do the RS/Ranger/Bard build which is stupid). Also I believe Rogues still have the best overall non-physical mitigation -- the +50 to resistances is often overlooked -- and single-target probably near-equal physical (the more targets the more the high block rate shines). Warriors get interrupts, taunts, party buffs and pull-ins; Rogues get mobility. Warriors can mix and match their builds for different situations; Rogues are essentially pigeonholed into a couple of builds.

    They're well-balanced, really, it's just the Justicars that fall far behind.

  10. #10
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElixirHealer View Post
    So I tried to make a proper poll, but this forum doesn't support it.

    So! Moving forward - Cleric tank or warrior tank?
    the difference is in playstile, everybody has his own style, chose the one you like the most - nobody can chose what you like for you.
    Once known as Nix-Zero


    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, United Kingdom
    Posts
    332

    Default

    like someone already said if all you want to do is tank forever then warrior.

    patches will eventually mess with every soul in the game, they all will get changed, some patches wont improve class abilities but will infact nerf them, you cant guess at which souls and how ahead of time.

    if I wanted to tank forever then I would absolutely level the guy with 4 tank souls over 1 as I would always be viable in some way for the job.

    that being said, in a couple of weeks one of those characters will be 50 and you can just level the other as well anyways.
    Last edited by Anchor; 05-20-2011 at 01:40 AM.

  12. #12
    Shield of Telara Sixpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    686

    Default

    I can't give you any advice on Warrior tanks as I don't have firsthand experience with them, but I can tell you about my experience as a Cleric tank.

    I recently switched my role as Cleric from DPS to tank when our guild lost all of our tanks. Our main tank prior to that was a Warrior. When I took over, the two main healers in the guild both said the same thing: you're easier to heal. I haven't had any issues from a tanking standpoint doing T1's or T2's.

    There are some boss fights that are group-damage intensive which we've been able to use a "solo" healer where I would imagine a Warrior tank would require an off-healer because I'm able to fill in enough on the group heals that a support healer isn't necessary. That isn't always the case because there are still fights that we need an off-healer regardless.

    As far as aggro goes, my residual group healing is usually enough to pull most mobs to me if a party member gets hit. There have been many times I didn't see a mob aggro from behind and after 1 hit on a party member it ran straight to me. No taunt required. I seldom lose aggro except in cases where someone crits on their first attack just as the mob gets to me. Occasionally I'll lose aggro to one of our DPS, but that's what taunts are for. Also, having a spammable multi-mob attack (Even Justice) is a huge benefit to the Cleric tank, especially considering every hit on every mob is healing me (and any hurt party members) too. It's not a lot of healing but it add that much more additional aggro. Also, one thing to know is that I use group healing Greater Essences, which aren't affected by the healing reduction of MoL. So Crystal Vine, for instance, heals for just as much per tick as it does for a healer using it, and mine trigger off of the group healing I'm doing from my attacks, not just from using my castable group heal (DoL).

    With that being said, from a mechanics standpoint, Clerics do have a few limitations to keep in mind:

    Magic damage mitigation - There's a couple of T2 fights that do a lot of magic damage and I would imagine a Warrior tank would fare better (although I don't know anything about their magic damage mitigation). I also understand this is a big issue for tanking raid content. However, I'm hopeful that Trion will address this.

    Gear selection - Most Cleric drops are geared toward the caster roles. Tanking Cleric drops are few and far between (although they do exist). I don't know about Warrior tanks, but it seems difficult getting gear to drop for me. Of course there are some decent items you can get from the plaque vendors to fill in, so it's not a major issue.

  13. #13
    Plane Walker TJ74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sixpax View Post
    I can't give you any advice on Warrior tanks as I don't have firsthand experience with them, but I can tell you about my experience as a Cleric tank.
    I recently switched my role as Cleric from DPS to tank when our guild lost all of our tanks. Our main tank prior to that was a Warrior. When I took over, the two main healers in the guild both said the same thing: you're easier to heal. I haven't had any issues from a tanking standpoint doing T1's or T2's.
    There are some boss fights that are group-damage intensive which we've been able to use a "solo" healer where I would imagine a Warrior tank would require an off-healer because I'm able to fill in enough on the group heals that a support healer isn't necessary. That isn't always the case because there are still fights that we need an off-healer regardless.
    As far as aggro goes, my residual group healing is usually enough to pull most mobs to me if a party member gets hit. There have been many times I didn't see a mob aggro from behind and after 1 hit on a party member it ran straight to me. No taunt required. I seldom lose aggro except in cases where someone crits on their first attack just as the mob gets to me. Occasionally I'll lose aggro to one of our DPS, but that's what taunts are for. Also, having a spammable multi-mob attack (Even Justice) is a huge benefit to the Cleric tank, especially considering every hit on every mob is healing me (and any hurt party members) too. It's not a lot of healing but it add that much more additional aggro. Also, one thing to know is that I use group healing Greater Essences, which aren't affected by the healing reduction of MoL. So Crystal Vine, for instance, heals for just as much per tick as it does for a healer using it, and mine trigger off of the group healing I'm doing from my attacks, not just from using my castable group heal (DoL).
    With that being said, from a mechanics standpoint, Clerics do have a few limitations to keep in mind:
    Magic damage mitigation - There's a couple of T2 fights that do a lot of magic damage and I would imagine a Warrior tank would fare better (although I don't know anything about their magic damage mitigation). I also understand this is a big issue for tanking raid content. However, I'm hopeful that Trion will address this.
    Gear selection - Most Cleric drops are geared toward the caster roles. Tanking Cleric drops are few and far between (although they do exist). I don't know about Warrior tanks, but it seems difficult getting gear to drop for me. Of course there are some decent items you can get from the plaque vendors to fill in, so it's not a major issue.
    i knew about the healing trickle factor that made clerics stand out, but did not know it caused threat. very informative, thank you.
    i also did not know that greaters procced from the trickle heals, makes me wanna try it on bard.
    to OP, i would suggest cleric or rogue if u want to raid tank. however, if all u wanna do is raid trash tank and/or dungeon tank then i suggest rev/pld warrior.
    but this cleric tank poster makes it sound like aoe is even better on cleric! pending gear for mana regen im assuming though

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Interesting... So it appears most agree that Warriors tank better for standard dungeons with their m. def. and plate armor, but Clerics tend to have more party survivability in T1 T2 raids, due to their healing abilities. In addition, Clerics are a more versatile class overall, allowing tank, healer, and DPS roles.

    The armor drop mention was also very important - cleric stuff *does* tend to only drop for caster roles. I've had excellent luck with drops lately on my warrior for tanking stuff, but any cleric tanking armor I get is from Armorsmithing it myself.

    Another very valid point was said that "you'll get one char to level 50 in a few weeks, then you can play the other" which is what I fully intend on doing

    To those who were debating about Cleric DPS vs Warrior, the point of a tank isn't really to do a lot of damage - just to keep the mobs' agro. It's agreed that Rogue and Mage easily outpace them in DPS, but irrelevant.

    I believe I'll take my Warrior to level 50 as a tank. Thus far, I've had good experiences with it. From this thread, I feel more confident that I'm not wasting my time as a Warrior tank, as Clerics are comparable and not OP'd with tank role. If I'm not sick of tanking by the time my Warrior is lvl 50, I'll use my Cleric for tanking (easier to get into groups) or for its original purpose: Healer!

  15. #15
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    32

    Default

    My two cc, coming from a player with main character being a warrior tank currently up to 4/5 Greenscale and 3/4 GP. If you want to be able to tank anything the game throws at you, go warrior. Four tanking souls to mix and match between allow you superior flexibility, with a wide array of skills to chose from.

    That said, I also have a lvl 50 rogue alt which I started to tank experts with. Rogue tanks are very solid as well, though far less flexible than warriors, and - to me at least - comparatively boring to play due to a very limited selection of skills while tanking. Their main weakness is aoe tanking, their main strength in-combat mobility and great off-the-bat overall mitigation.

    My cleric is only up to lvl 35, so can only talk about tanking normals on that account. No charge / blink feels restricting at times, but in turn you get a combat ress, some nice supportive group healing and good aoe tanking abilities. Again tanking as a cleric feels limited to me, due to less skills in the tanking setup compared to a warrior. For soloing or instance running cleric is a great choice, due to its great versatility - you can do it all! Clerics are currently not really the first choice when it comes to tanking raid bosses, they supposedly can tank all of them but it seems to require more effort from the raid to have them do so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts