+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Idea to reduce stealth-ganking harassment

Telaran

Default Idea to reduce stealth-ganking harassment

I am one of those people that hates stealth-gankers and thinks they should be removed from the game entirely. But since I know that won't realistically happen, I have a proposal to reduce the sap-spam stealth-attack harassment that it seems to happen every time I set foot in Shimmersand or Stillmoor (usually right inside the neutral towns and without any of the "watchdog" NPCs doing a damn thing about it).

Upon receiving an Ambush or Sap or other stealth-only move, the player receives a stacking buff I am going to call "Paranoia" that drastically increases stealth detection. Basically a form of diminishing return on Sapping or Ambushing.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberrycocoa View Post
    I am one of those people that hates stealth-gankers and thinks they should be removed from the game entirely. But since I know that won't realistically happen, I have a proposal to reduce the sap-spam stealth-attack harassment that it seems to happen every time I set foot in Shimmersand or Stillmoor (usually right inside the neutral towns and without any of the "watchdog" NPCs doing a damn thing about it).

Upon receiving an Ambush or Sap or other stealth-only move, the player receives a stacking buff I am going to call "Paranoia" that drastically increases stealth detection. Basically a form of diminishing return on Sapping or Ambushing.
    Interesting idea. What would the timer on such a thing be? It would also have to go away when entering a Warfront.

Why bother playing on a PvP server if it bothers you so much?
    And what's the difference between ganking someone from stealth and simply jumping someone while they're engaged with a mob or 3?

Not even trying to troll, PvE servers are there for a reason.
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

I don't mean to be mean or anything, but why even roll on a PvP server if you don't want to be ganked. Everybody gets ganked, whether its by a rogue, or a 5man group. It's just how world PvP goes.
    Faemist - Rank 4 Guardian Assassin - Mercilous
    Faemist - Level 30 Guardian Warlock - Lexium
    Faemist - Level 29 Defiant Cleric - Kotsune

Prophet of Telara

Nothing should be balanced for open world PvP. The imbalance out there is caused by people not playing "fair", which doesn't require stealth. You can be rolled by a 5-man, or jumped while you are on mobs by visible classes easily. If you don't have the stones, don't roll on PvP.

You can go back to crying in the corner because the Rogue touched you in a naughty place now.

Don't play on a PvP server.

As an Assassin, I am ganked frequently by Warriors, Mages, and Clerics when I'm questing or running dailies in Stillmoor and Shimmersand. If I'm engaged with a MOB with my health down and not in Stealth, I'm a pretty easy kill.

So, unless you're also willing to stop that from happening (which basically kills all non-consensual PvP), then you're going to have to live with me assassinating you from stealth. It's what the Soul is for and I fully intend to continue using it in that manner.

Sez

As long as this "paranoia" also reduces damage-output by the same % you gain to detect stealth, I'm cool with it.

Also, if a cleric kills me by healing past my damage, and I die, give me a stacking buff called "Rage" in which my energy regen and damage get a % boost but my character randomly /yells profanity at my targets.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Champion of Telara

The answer is: don't roll on pvp. If this bothers you, then this is not the server type for you. You will have a happier game experience playing on a pve server where the rules support your preferred gameplay.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by mercilous View Post
    I don't mean to be mean or anything, but why even roll on a PvP server if you don't want to be ganked. Everybody gets ganked, whether its by a rogue, or a 5man group. It's just how world PvP goes.
    Well, I used to play PVE servers in WoW, I wanted a change of pace. I figured a PVP server would be fun; get a guild, raid a town, epic open-world battles galore.

That was the theory. In practice, I just get assaulted by stealth-gankers that get their jollies by picking on and harassing people from the safety and comfort of invisibility.

My 1-50 experience on a PVP server has made me more likely to let enemy players go about their business, because I know how much I hate when I get attacked for no reason other than I was there. *shrug*. A toast to the death of empathy.

Well, I used to play PVE servers in WoW, I wanted a change of pace. I figured a PVP server would be fun; get a guild, raid a town, epic open-world battles galore.

That was the theory. In practice, I just get assaulted by stealth-gankers that get their jollies by picking on and harassing people from the safety and comfort of invisibility.

My 1-50 experience on a PVP server has made me more likely to let enemy players go about their business, because I know how much I hate when I get attacked for no reason other than I was there. *shrug*. A toast to the death of empathy.
    I had a similar experience to this, on a pvp server and in a fighting game community before I went into Rift, where people will leverage anything they have in order to win (numbers, ganks, zerging, heavily imbalanced tactics, etc...) and would be seriously defend unfair advantages out of self interest. Fair fights where both players had an equal chance of success on an equal skill level were not only rare but also avoided. In the end I think what it made me realize the most is the heart of pvp isn't just winning and losing, its about comparing something tangible between players and testing what you as a player am capable of. Because anyone can be a winner given the right advantages, and it proves very little about yourself over another player, but unfortunately that is the type of gameplay so many ppl gravitate towards. I find much more quality in a fight where it is close,complex and you end up losing but learning something new, than rolling in a heavy premade and getting 100 kills to 0 deaths.
    Last edited by Inixia; 05-19-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Lol... wtf is it with all these replies of "don't play in a PvP server?"

PVP =\= stealth

Does ganking from stealth happen in PvP servers? Yup. Does attacking someone heavily involved with PvE mobs happen in PvP servers? Yup. Does ganking those 20 levels lower than you happen in PvP server? Yup. Do all 3 happen at the same time in PvP servers? Yup.

But they sure as heck aren't the "highlights" of playing in one. There are cowards and other scum in PvP servers but they are not the majority and they are hated by all honest PvPers who have some honor and a sense of fair play.

It's why real PvP games where a lot of thought goes into creating the environment (as opposed to tacking on PvP on a PVE game...here, WOW, etc.) usually have severe penalties (KOS by all guards is a popular penalty after you accumulate enough dishonor) for dishonorable behavior.

And sorry assassin-lovers... when I say cowards I do mean you too

Champion of Telara

Your ideal open world pvp situation is incredibly rare in reality. Pvp servers are the wild west - if someone can take you down, chances are that's exactly what will happen. If the thought of being camped makes you angry, a pvp server on any mmo is not the place for you.

It will happen. Take a deep breath and move on.

Telaran

I guess what gets under my skin most is the invisibility component. Any other character type, I can still SEE them. If I use the reverse-camera button and mouse look to remain aware of surroundings I can try to avoid a fight or try to engage an encroaching enemy on my own terms, and if I don't remain aware of my surroundings that's my own fault. But stealth/invisibility classes make situational awareness impossible. Their ambush predator tactics ensure they always get first strike and allow them to avoid fair fights, while rendering opponents incapable of fighting back effectively. If I want that I'll head down to my local slum and yell "I CARRY CASH".

Quote Originally Posted by The Grixxitt View Post
    Why bother playing on a PvP server if it bothers you so much?
    And what's the difference between ganking someone from stealth and simply jumping someone while they're engaged with a mob or 3?

Not even trying to troll, PvE servers are there for a reason.
    Because regardless of circumstance, rogues will always have the upper-hand because they have exclusive access to stealth. Especially with the over-done rogue buffs, any 8-year-old with Downs can go assassin or marks and drop everything by drooling over the keyboard.

I don't agree with this guy's idea, since I don't think it's a huge deal (it's imbalanced technically speaking, but there's ways to deal with it, whatever), but objectively speaking he's totally right about it being unfair.
    Last edited by Sawdomite; 05-19-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Telaran

Back to the "proposing ideas" portion of the thread: if an anti-stealth buff is too much, what about low-to-mid damage 360 degree AOE abilities that have no cooldown and don't require a target? If you suspect a stealth attacker is near by, try and reveal them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast