+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it you have to have a pet in order to be the best dps?

Default Why is it you have to have a pet in order to be the best dps?

I seriously am so turned off from pets since playing Rift. Best Warrior DPS uses Beastmaster, best Rogue uses Ranger, best Mage uses Elementalist...

All the best leveling specs use pets too it seems >_> ...

I cannot wait for the day when pets are no longer necessary to play Rift and so many critters aren't running around anymore.

Plane Walker

If you need pets to do top damage or solo..then you have bad builds, or you aren't that good of a player.
    Looking for a mature, casual guild focused on having fun?
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

^Addresses absolutely nothing.

The OP is right; all of the highest DPS souls are pet souls. Rogues might be a bit different though, there are still plenty of builds popping up parsing impressive numbers without Ranger.

Pet builds are only for squeezing out the optimal dps. You can still be very very competetive without pet souls; you might just take a 100-ish dps drop. Nothing that your raid should yell at you for.
    Focus@Vigil | 60 Mage
    Eluo@Vigil | 60 Cleric
    Prime SL Mage Guide
    Prime SL Cleric Guide

Rift Chaser

Pet specs should have slightly higher dps. It's not like they aren't trading off something for it.

Go ask your friendly healer what they think of pets and AoE healing. Pets suck up our healing and count as one target. This means someone else does NOT get healed because of that stupid cat/raptor/elemental.

There is of course various other problems with pets, like the fact that they DIE and then your dps is below the non-pet classes.

I really wish people would stop assuming parses on dummies = good for raiding.
    My hybrid just kicked your ***, how sad are you?

If pets are dying, then the person with the pet needs to learn to play a bit better. Pet management is something that is required for optimal dps. It's not a set-it-and-forget-it option. Although with the change to AoE dmg mitigation in 1.2 and the fact that pets don't give a rat's *** about most AoE's anyway, it almost is like that >_>
    Focus@Vigil | 60 Mage
    Eluo@Vigil | 60 Cleric
    Prime SL Mage Guide
    Prime SL Cleric Guide

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    ^Addresses absolutely nothing.

The OP is right; all of the highest DPS souls are pet souls. Rogues might be a bit different though, there are still plenty of builds popping up parsing impressive numbers without Ranger.

Pet builds are only for squeezing out the optimal dps. You can still be very very competetive without pet souls; you might just take a 100-ish dps drop. Nothing that your raid should yell at you for.
    Actually it addresses that you do not have to have a pet soul in order to be max dps. I thought it was pretty clear. Must have went over some heads, so I will restate it.

You do not need a pet in order to be the best dps.
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

...except you do need a pet?

All of the top DPS builds are pet builds. Period. With the exception of rogue, like I stated before, but they are still in the process of sorting out their new 1.2 builds.
    Focus@Vigil | 60 Mage
    Eluo@Vigil | 60 Cleric
    Prime SL Mage Guide
    Prime SL Cleric Guide

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Drenai View Post
    Actually it addresses that you do not have to have a pet soul in order to be max dps. I thought it was pretty clear. Must have went over some heads, so I will restate it.

You do not need a pet in order to be the best dps.
    It's as an aggro dump, its not for the dps from the pet itself.

Plane Walker

...except you do need a pet?

All of the top DPS builds are pet builds. Period. With the exception of rogue, like I stated before, but they are still in the process of sorting out their new 1.2 builds.
    Except...you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnagh View Post
    It's as an aggro dump, its not for the dps from the pet itself.
    That is a cop out. If you are talking max dps period, claiming you need a pet for aggro purposes is not a valid argument. That is what tanks are for.

Go check out the individual class forums. Mages do not claim you need elementalist to top dps, warriors do not claim you need beastmaster to top dps. And rogue certainly doesn't need ranger to top dps.
    Last edited by Drenai; 05-19-2011 at 01:49 AM.
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

Except...you are wrong.

That is a cop out. If you are talking max dps period, claiming you need a pet for aggro purposes is not a valid argument. That is what tanks are for.
    I have no idea what you're trying to argue. Do you even check group/raid damage parses?
    Unfathomable, Defiant Mage.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_O View Post
    I have no idea what you're trying to argue. Do you even check group/raid damage parses?
    I am arguing that you do not need a pet to top the damage charts. Thought I was pretty clear as I have stated it several times.
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

I am arguing that you do not need a pet to top the damage charts. Thought I was pretty clear as I have stated it several times.
    Oh. Okay.

Well you're wrong.
    Unfathomable, Defiant Mage.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_O View Post
    Oh. Okay.

Well you're wrong.
    And I claim you are wrong. So na na nahner boo boo stick your head in doo doo.

Just because a certain pet build might be easier, or popular to get high dps, does not mean it is the BEST max dps build...simply easier or popular.

I still stand by my claim: You can top dps charts without pets.
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

Except...you are wrong.

Go check out the individual class forums. Mages do not claim you need elementalist to top dps, warriors do not claim you need beastmaster to top dps. And rogue certainly doesn't need ranger to top dps.
    If all the mage specs stack up next to each other and beat on the same mob (boss/dummy, whatever), Stormcaller/Elementalist/Archon always comes out on top.

If all the cleric specs stack up next to each other and beat on the same mob (boss/dummy, whatever), Druid/Shaman/Inquisitor always comes out on top.

If all the warrior specs stack up next to each other and beat on the same mob (boss/dummy, whatever), Champion/Beastmaster/Paragon always comes out on top.

Rogues are up in the air

And yes, I do read all the class forums. Do you? It is possible that a Pyro/Ele will have top dps for their raid. It just means that the other mages in that raid are either not geared like the Pyro/Ele, playing subpar specs, or are playing good specs poorly.
    Focus@Vigil | 60 Mage
    Eluo@Vigil | 60 Cleric
    Prime SL Mage Guide
    Prime SL Cleric Guide

Plane Walker

If all the mage specs stack up next to each other and beat on the same mob (boss/dummy, whatever), Stormcaller/Elementalist/Archon always comes out on top.

If all the cleric specs stack up next to each other and beat on the same mob (boss/dummy, whatever), Druid/Shaman/Inquisitor always comes out on top.

If all the warrior specs stack up next to each other and beat on the same mob (boss/dummy, whatever), Champion/Beastmaster/Paragon always comes out on top.

Rogues are up in the air

And yes, I do read all the class forums. Do you? It is possible that a Pyro/Ele will have top dps for their raid. It just means that the other mages in that raid are either not geared like the Pyro/Ele, playing subpar specs, or are playing good specs poorly.

Yes I do, and I also play the game. And I can tell you people like to regurgitate what they read before they test things in game.

And I still do not agree you need a pet for max dps.

AND even if you DID need a pet for max dps (you don't), you can still do perfectly fine and competitive without one.
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast