+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mage vs Rogue: Which class to play?

Shadowlander

Question Mage vs Rogue: Which class to play?

Hello forum readers. I am in need of some input as to which class to play: Mage or Rogue. I am evenly torn between the two classes as I like them both equally in different ways. I've just finished leveling both to 50 and can not decide which to play.

I enjoyed the rogue as Assassin,Marks, Ranger and Bard. I really enjoyed the ability to slip in and out of places, help heal in rifts or dungeons and go ranged as needed. However I enjoyed playing the Mage as well. I played her as Necro/Lock, Chloro, Pyro (which for me was meh), and stormcaller/ele. The ability to dps, heal, and support are all good to me as well.

I enjoy pvp and pve alike. I do not want to put in the amount of time I have in previous mmo's. I am just looking for an enjoyable class thats able to hold its own, if thats even possible, in pve and pvp. I came from a hardcore raiding and pvping guild from another mmo and just wanted to be more casual for the time being, at least for a while.

So if you guys could/would just give some stories about why you like either of the classes mechanics, pve and pvp playstyle, and overall class feel. I know I leveled them and have some of that feel but, I do not have extensive endgame pve and pvp feel for them though.

I am not looking for the most OP out of the two. I just want a fun class to play that I will not be banging my head on the keyboard in pvp or pve because the class is just not up to par at the moment. I know things change with patches, but I do not want to have to jump around. For what its worth I am kinda leaning towards the rogue.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have and for looking at the post.

Rogues are very macro friendly, and after the 1.2 patch are the better class of the two imo. One could argue that chloro heals better than bards, and archon buffs better than bards, and stormcaller does better aoe than rogues, but the truth is that they're pretty much on par with eachother in those respects. Rogues however are definitely out DPS'ing mages in terms of single target damage now, and with them being macro friendly they're much easier to play. Easier = more fun to some folks.

But then again, you could just do what I do. Play both.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

Rift Disciple

I am probably biased but I love playing my Bard, I have a mage too, but I really like the versatility of the Bard class.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Rogues are very macro friendly, and after the 1.2 patch are the better class of the two imo. One could argue that chloro heals better than bards, and archon buffs better than bards, and stormcaller does better aoe than rogues, but the truth is that they're pretty much on par with eachother in those respects. Rogues however are definitely out DPS'ing mages in terms of single target damage now, and with them being macro friendly they're much easier to play. Easier = more fun to some folks.

But then again, you could just do what I do. Play both.
    I am ok with a tedious rotation, engaging is not a problem for me, cumbersome is though. On the play both part ya I have always been bad about alts. I'm actually playing my 39 cleric right now as Inquisitor and liking it as well sigh hah and I have a 50 war too. I wanted to try and stick to one specifically and maybe dabble in the others here and there.

I am probably biased but I love playing my Bard, I have a mage too, but I really like the versatility of the Bard class.
    I completely enjoy the bard for sure and one of the main reasons I'm leaning towards the rogue.
    Last edited by Nightstrike; 05-18-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Plane Touched

If you want to consistently be the OP class play the Cleric. They are always OP. The others rotate, First it was Warrior...nerf, then Mage...nerf, now rogue...which will be followed by a nerf... Probably back to warrior.

Meanwhile the Cleric is currently staying OP and not having to cycle with the other classes. So out of those two, do what's most authentically pleasing.

If you really can't decide:
    Rogues can Tank, Melee
    Mages are only casters, but can main heal

Let that be your deciding factor.
    Last edited by Josiaha; 05-18-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Rogues are very macro friendly
    Melee Rogues are macro friendly.
    But that's only because all melee is macro friendly.

The answer to OPs question is going to depend on what play style he likes.
    Mages can't melee, and Rogues can't heal. (Don't let anyone sucker you into thinking Bard is a healing class, you'll be disappointed going into it thinking you'll be able to heal)
    Last edited by Mr Malingers; 05-18-2011 at 09:44 PM.
    Maybe he just wanted to steal our wire cutters. You ever think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Josiaha View Post
    If you want to consistently be the OP class play the Cleric. They are always OP. The others rotate, First it was Warrior...nerf, then Mage...nerf, now rogue...which will be followed by a nerf... Probably back to warrior.

Meanwhile the Cleric is currently staying OP and not having to cycle with the other classes. So out of those two, do what's most authentically pleasing.

If you really can't decide:
    Rogues can Tank, Melee
    Mages are only casters, but can main heal

Let that be your deciding factor.
    The templar tree has been gutted..almost all cleric buffs (and hots) can be eradicated now. Including detaunt.

Clerics are far from "op"

Strip their buffs, apply healing debuffs and they die very quickly. Don't forget to have someone drain their mana too.

I play a healing cleric and die constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    The templar tree has been gutted..almost all cleric buffs (and hots) can be eradicated now. Including detaunt.

Clerics are far from "op"

Strip their buffs, apply healing debuffs and they die very quickly. Don't forget to have someone drain their mana too.

I play a healing cleric and die constantly.
    Purge, Heal debuff and mana drain ehh?
    So your saying Clerics aren't OP as long as it's 3v1?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Malingers View Post
    Purge, Heal debuff and mana drain ehh?
    So your saying Clerics aren't OP as long as it's 3v1?
    It's called "focus fire" and any good pvp'er practices the method.

The best a healing cleric can do is run to their team mates and hope someone peels the bastards off of them, because they cannot kill anyone on their own.

Healing clerics have given up any kind of respectable ability to do dps, in order to heal.

The best a healing cleric can do is run to their team mates and hope someone peels the bastards off of them, because they cannot kill anyone on their own.

Healing clerics have given up any kind of respectable ability to do dps, in order to heal.
    And that has what to do with anything I said?
    Everyone focus fires, that's not a Cleric issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Malingers View Post
    Everyone focus fires
    No..they don't.

People think they are some type of hero Rambo and try 1vs1 in wf's. I see it all of the time.

No..they don't.

People think they are some type of hero Rambo and try 1vs1 in wf's. I see it all of the time.
    Again, irrelevant to the discussion.

Champion of Telara

I have both and I think it depends on what you are doing.

For groups, I think mage is the best. A pyro getting heals is still nasty despite what people on the forums cry about, and you have so many other things you can do for the group. I can spot heal if needed, full heal, buff the group, or dps.

For solo/pugs, go rogue. Don't really bring much for the group except for DPS unless you are rolling bard for buffs/some heals. You can tank which is nice in PvE, but only mildly useful in PvP(cappers, carries etc). But if you tank as a rogue, then you've pretty much got to get 2 sets of gear, 1 for taking with toughness, and then gear for DPS. Getting tanking gear for rogue can also be a bit of a hassle. But with rogue, if you are solo and stuff, then you can pick your engagements and such, so even in bad pugs you can atleast get some fun in. With a mage, you'll likely just get farmed in those situations.

Rift Disciple

got a rank5 mage and rank2 rogue

mage by far! if u get bored easy and want lots of variance go mage
    they have soo many viable pvp souls. chloro pyro stormcaller all awesome, rogue only really decent spec i've found is marksman

that or cleric

ORLY because i just sat in rank 4 gear for a good 5 minutes dropping every cool down and stun into a cleric that was standing next to me to have him just laugh at my effort. Yeah I got him real low and 2 secs later he was back to full health.

For all the *****ing about how pyros were raid bosses, apparently no body was trying top take down a healing cleric. 3 people to kill one and they don't have to stand in one spot all the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast