+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Faction-based Classes

Question Faction-based Classes

Are there any classes that will be locked to a certain faction? Like, example - Shadowknights being "evil" in Everquest 2, or Paladin being Alliance-only in Vanilla WoW.

Nothing confirmed on that. Some speculate that there will be but I'm unsure. Classes in Rift aren't being handled how they typically are in MMOs.

I think no one knows for sure yet, but from what I read there will for example be inquisitor and cleric as a class. This speculates that there will be both good and bad classes if they are tied to specific faction I am not sure. I would prefere it if everyone could play the class they wanted to in depended of what faction they pick. Be it from the start or be it with a betray feature. Also if you look at the way classes are listed at the moment I dont think the faction specific classes have been taken account in the website design. This could be another hint that we get the freedom to pick what we want. But this early in development no one really knows I think. Maybe I missed a announcement tho

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Would be interesting to see a player as a part of the ''evil'' faction running around as a ''paladin'' though ? IMHO if a game has 2 factions I'd prefer class restrictions per side but balancing that would probably be quite a task , but then again thats what updates and patches are for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBEt0uz-V3k
    Many a Guardian were slain and harmed in the making of this video

Quote Originally Posted by Tratswen View Post
    Would be interesting to see a player as a part of the ''evil'' faction running around as a ''paladin'' though ? IMHO if a game has 2 factions I'd prefer class restrictions per side but balancing that would probably be quite a task , but then again thats what updates and patches are for
    The way I read the faction descriptions I dont think you can define them as evil or good it doesn't seem as black and white as that, so to me it feels like having pure good or evil classes might not be a perfect solution for that.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

It seemed like the Clerics where on the side of Life and could heal and support the group very well, while the Inq was a neutral figure using both life and death magic. This seems to be that then there could also be a class that focuses on the Death side of things. So maybe they are going for a Life/Death/Neutral type of set up in the healers ?

This could be interesting when looking at other classes if it fits...
    Tanks : "Guardian" (Neutral), "Paladin" (Life), "Deathknight/Dreadknight etc" (Death)
    Rogues: Ranger (L), Assassin (D), Bladedancer (N)
    Summoner: Necro (D), Elementalist (N), "Angel summoner" or maybe a Tree hugger type (L)

??? Just a thought.

Magik of Xanadu

I realy hope not.
    i don't like to be compelled to be of a faction because i want to play an assassin.

and in the same times, they can make the core classes factionless and design some classes very specifically to be part of the lore and point of view of only one faction.
    hope is not an option

Hmm that made me think of something, are there any MMO's out there that work with the order chaos neutral factions like so many single player rpg's use? Is it any good for MMO's or is it just a idea that isn't really easily implementable in a MMO.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

I doubt classes will be confined by faction restrictions tbh. Atm only 4 classes have been announced and take the Inq as example...........if he was Guardian - who would a healer on the Defiant side? Yes i know many more classes will be announced at some point, but it just sorta shows we cannot say anything is certain yet. Its only day 3 :P

Champion

I doubt there will be a split between classes and different factions. To give each faction a mirror image of the other is pointless and to make them too different and balancing becomes very critical... it opens up a huge can of worms to split factions class options (and naming them something else is just a cosmetic touch).

The description of the two factions is not very specific so far, so I think it is a bit early to speculate on faction specific classes. It seems to me as if there are no "good guys" and "bad guys". It is just two conflicting parties and, as always, the good side is the side which you are on. But the devs should draw a clear line between the two factions and make them clearly distinguishable, like giving them a different armor-look.
    I hate comparisons to WoW, but Rift should not end up with the same content being playable by both factions in exact the same way. There should be a difference in gameplay as well.

Hmm.

At the same time, I hope so and I hope not. Confusing.

I hope so because otherwise, the two factions will be similar. Too similar? I don't know...too soon to say.
    I hope not because I definitely want to be Defiant, but what if there's a class that I love on the Guardian side?

Actually from what I have been reading on mmo sites is that Telara will have faction locked classes.
    The class list for the Defiants boasted nearly a dozen classes. We did sneak a peek at two classes, however - the tankish, sword-and-shield wielding Reaver and the roguish (but stealth spurning) dual-wielding Bladedancer. Both were Defiant classes, and at level 20 had less than a full bar of spells and abilities, which led me to wonder if spell and ability design was WoW-ishly deep than EQ2-ishly wide.
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/83717/page/2
    Its half way down if anybody wants to read it themselves.

"Nearly a dozen classes..."

Hmm. I wonder if not all of the classes that will be available are fully developed? Because if we assume that both factions have equal number of classes, and we know that there will be at minimum 25 and at maximum 32, that doesn't add up... or am I just reading too much into this?

Champion

in that TTH piece if says highelves are Defiant, whereas on this site it says they are Guardian aligned... I don't think everything is quite clear yet...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast