+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Global cooldown, what is the point of it ?

Default Global cooldown, what is the point of it ?

I never understood it in WoW, and I dont understand why Rift picked up such a crap thing.
    What is the point of using it ?
    Ive played EQ2 for 5-6 years and they dont use global cooldown and it works great. Imo. GCD is just a waste of time.

I never played EQ2, but would you suggest you should be able to cast your abilities as fast as you can click? I'm not sure how that would work with different spells have different cast times. Instants would be interesting!

Shadowlander

I'd imagine it makes balancing much much easier. You don't have to have an individual cast speed for melee, which makes haste easier to balance.

And from a programming perspective, i'd imagine it streamlines things much easier. You have a GCD, and cast time for mages, and thats just about it to consider.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Kooby View Post
    I never played EQ2, but would you suggest you should be able to cast your abilities as fast as you can click? I'm not sure how that would work with different spells have different cast times. Instants would be interesting!
    In Aion, each skill that didn't have a cast time had an animation time you still had to wait through, each skill with a different animation.

Because this way you can't cast 10 instant abilities at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Five View Post
    In Aion, each skill that didn't have a cast time had an animation time you still had to wait through, each skill with a different animation.
    That's the same thing as a global cooldown, a set period of time during which you can't use any other ability - it doesn't have to be a fixed length like WoW/RIFT, it's still global and it's still a cooldown.
    Last edited by nand chan; 05-18-2011 at 09:08 AM.

I actually found aion's animation system to be extremely irritating, just because some skills animation would force you to stand still, and by the time it was done going through the animation the person you were attacking would already be out of melee range.

I always assumed a GCD was parting of the limiting factors which made a game challenging, along with other resources to be managed like mana or energy, etc.

A GCD also limits the amount of communication between your computer and the game server.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kooby View Post
    Eq2 used a system where skills had their own "cast time", and there was no cooldown between when skills could be used. There were insta cast skills that work like "off-gcd" skills work here.

Personally, I like the non-gcd system - it feels more fluid to me, and less like arbitrary restrictions are being placed on timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyrf View Post
    Personally, I like the non-gcd system - it feels more fluid to me, and less like arbitrary restrictions are being placed on timing.
    I agree. Having played both WoW and Aion, I like the way Aion did things. Sure, an animation is pretty much the same thing as a GCD, but it makes things feel more fluid. Instead of me standing around twiddling my thumbs after casting something, waiting for the GCD before I can hit another skill, my character is actually doing something and I can get the next skill ready to go. Here, the animation is quite short so my toon is just standing there getting hit, auto attacking, or whatever, and I end up watching the GCD tick on my skill bars waiting until I can hit the next skill. It seems very strange and choppy. I get why it's necessary that you wait but at least if my character is actively animating the skill it makes combat much more smooth and you just go from skill to skill seamlessly - not to mention the psychological effect of seeing the GCD tick on your skill bar every single time - that makes it seem worse tbh than it probably would seem otherwise. Also in Aion you can make the animations shorter with higher attack speed (even for magic classes) which helped a lot. I don't know if there's any way to shorten the GCD here? Either way I don't like a plain GCD like RIFT has but it's only a minor thing - still a great game.
    Last edited by Leiloni; 05-18-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Soulwalker

Global cooldown is not annoying. It is the best solution towards balancing latency a MMO can give.

Someone with 300ms can compete against someone with 50 ms because of GCD.

Imagine this scenario without global cooldown:

Someone with 50ms clicks on the spell instant and it happens in 0.05 seconds.
    Someone with 300ms clicks on the same instant and it happens in 0.3 seconds.

The guy with 50ms can cast that spell 20 times per second while the other guy would be able to cast it only 3 times...

This is not a realistic scenario of course, because no one can click 20 times on a button within one second. But it adds to the long run where some players need to wait 0.5 seconds for the latency respond to the command and others don't wait even 0.1. So what they do? They make both players limited with a spell every 1,5 second.

Global cooldown also helps to balance instant cast powers against casted ones, if there wasn't a GCD, someone could just spam an instant cast spell 4-5 times in 1,5 sec to deal more damage (and be mobile) than a 1,5 cast spell.

And as it was said, it is much better than being rooted in place waitig for an animation and seeing people who can exploit jump to skip the animation to have advantages over others.

I hope you can understand now why Rift picked it up.

General of Telara I Fear Kittens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vivvi View Post
    I never understood it in WoW, and I dont understand why Rift picked up such a crap thing.
    What is the point of using it ?
    It prevents gamers from harming themselves:

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/a...vatar_1218.gif
    Last edited by I Fear Kittens; 05-18-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall piss you off." Norse Proverb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    When it's ready...... You wouldn't want it released before it was ready, right? And you wouldn't want us to hold it back after it was ready, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollolololol View Post
    I am honored to have made your /ignore list

Xsi

Ah, good question - but there is history to it.

Global cooldowns were implemented after MMO engines were noticed to be systematically prone to the latency/CPU processing time factor. The original MMOs (pre-DAoC era) failed to see that internet latency attributed to large variances in actual performance of an ability and thus, the effectiveness of a particular class.

Global cooldowns (or queue actions) has been the universal method to fix this issue.

In the case of later (now) generation MMOs (like RIFT), both global cooldowns and queue action is pretty much standard practice and built into standard MMO engine design.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

I don't exactly have an issue with the concept of GCD... I really just wish it was shorter in rift. 1.5s seems a bit too high.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    I don't exactly have an issue with the concept of GCD... I really just wish it was shorter in rift. 1.5s seems a bit too high.
    Play a rogue, theirs is 1.0s

Rogues: Now with Bullet Time!

There was also Anarchy Online where you could blow all of your gun or physical "moves" rather instantaneously. And people think pyros are bad, I remember stories of I think they were called alpha strikes lol. Got even crazier with perk abilities when Shadowlands was introduced.
    An Experiment In Design - Deioth's Warrior Soul Revamps - More In The Works
    Beastmaster - Paragon - Warlord Coming Soon

Please Click, Read, And Respond! Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast