+ Reply to Thread

Thread: We need some Support Class fixin' love.

Default We need some Support Class fixin' love.

When I say Support, the first soul everyone probably thinks of is Bard. Maybe Archon after that.

Warlord is almost non-existent for Support players. Dominators are entirely non-existent in PvE play. These two souls are in serious need of fixing to be competitive so that Bards aren't considered the end all be all Support Class imo.

I thought the Warlord soul was classified as Defensive, not support? If changes are going to be made to it, shouldn't they be made to enhance what the soul offers in terms of defensive capabilities?

I will certainly agree with you regarding the need for Dominator changes.

Default Warlords are Defensive

Warlord is a defensive soul, and you're right. There is no dominator existence for PvE.
    Quote Originally Posted by benjie View Post
    Rift died?

Quote Originally Posted by Pheldur View Post
    Warlord is a defensive soul, and you're right. There is no dominator existence for PvE.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say Dominators don't exist for PvE, as they can add a tremendous amount of safety and damage reduction in a lot of scenarios. The one area they need a significant tweak to, however, is during boss-type encounters.

It seems strange to me that a bard can remain a bard and an archon can remain an archon against bosses, but a Dominator is really better off switching to a different role if they want to continue acting in a support capacity during these encounters.

The reason is fairly simple: over 53% (yes, I did the math) of dominator abilities are useless against bosses because they're completely immune to them. This relegates a dominator to contributing severely lacking DPS to these encounters or relying on whatever secondary soul they've invested in.

There are numerous solutions for this issue posted in the mage forums. One that I'm particularly in favor of is creating a "window of opportunity" system, where at periodic intervals during a boss encounter, the boss would become vulnerable to crowd control abilities. This could be easily balanced to ensure the duration of time a boss remains vulnerable to the effects is not greater than the sum of what a bard or archon would be able to contribute by comparison (to keep them competitive).

Champion

But... But.. If you made support classes that actually SUPPORTED that would... that would actually require some form off tactics, and some other methodology aside from simply AoE tank and Spanking we all love! Hell, It would obviously require us to bring a support class to every raid! I mean, who wants to waste 1 spot of 20 for a support class when you could fill it with moooar DPS!!?! gah!
    /sarcasm

Serious side, I can't speak on the rogue/cleric/warrior side of Support, (Though, I do see support as a more mage-spec than warrior/rogue/cleric, as we have basically no 'tank spec', that rogues/wars/clerics have. And while Rogues support/heals are 'one' class, I think that still makes up for there 'tank' spec. not sure about clerics & support, I know they can Tank, Heal, and DPS (holy hell they can dps)

But anyways, on the mage side, I see The Dominator, and the Archon as the Two BIG Support classes in the game.

To me, The Archon should be more about Buffing the group, while debuffing the mob.
    And the Dominator should be, about in-dirrectly helping the group via removing combatants, from combat, and debuffing those that are in combat.

I mean, look at Power Drain from Archon.
    Reduces DMG output by 10%. ON ANY MOB IN PVE!!

Dominators debuff accelerated Decay? short term duration, multi stack that increases to full stack as the mob hits more often, at most a 25% slow? (Guessing that off the top of my head, might be 10%)
    But its IMMUNE on practically anything ELITE! It doesn't even work on 99% of the mobs in major rifts, or expert rift mobs!

Stuns, Snares, Roots, Disorients, silences, Reflects, kbs (some debuffs, some interupts, ect) are almost all immune on practically anything with a non-normal mob border. And even if they are CC' in PvP, snares, roots, stuns, I can easilly see having massive potential in boss fights. I recall a boss in Green Scale with a kiting method that requires killing some green turtles to 'snare' the boss. If an Archon Directly reduces a mobs output, why can't a Dominator, indirectly reduce its output?

Default Bard is Support

Bard.

Sick buffage.

Short term CC on single and multiple mobs.

Sap avail (ranged) with the right spec.

Debuffs for magic and physical damage.

4 methods of area heal.

Regen of Mana, Power, Energy and even Charge.

Now with a long range rez.

Charms Critters ! ( a fun spell at same lvl as the rez is acquired)

Single and group moderate dps.

Improves any group or raid. Useful in some Warfronts but not OP.
    Notice : My signature is now only available from my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheldur View Post
    Dominator is for PvP. Lol sorry I couldn't resist. What's CC?

Quote Originally Posted by Toogeloo View Post
    When I say Support, the first soul everyone probably thinks of is Bard. Maybe Archon after that.

Warlord is almost non-existent for Support players. Dominators are entirely non-existent in PvE play. These two souls are in serious need of fixing to be competitive so that Bards aren't considered the end all be all Support Class imo.
    I use warlord for tanking.

>.>

<.<

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Annuvyn View Post
    Bard.

Single and group moderate dps.
    Only the Bard Bladedancers can pull "moderate dps"
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Shadowlander

Dominators needs to be redesigned or merged with the mage pvp soul.

Rift Chaser

Assuming it's:

Warrior: tank, dps, support
    Cleric: tank, dps, heal
    Rogue: dps, support, tank
    Mage: dps, support, heal

...then yeah, weaker support souls like Warlord ought to get a bit of a boost, or be reworked to be primarily a support soul not half tank/half support.

bard and archon are already pretty good but I would welcome even further buffs to support skills to really put them on a equal footing with the tank/dps/heal roles.

Quote Originally Posted by LucianDK View Post
    Dominators needs to be redesigned or merged with the mage pvp soul.
    I hope for a redesign. It nice, and pretty funny to play dominator in pvp, but in pve they're just a wasted party slot. Dominator...Being able to dominate minds comes to mind lol. The ability to control a monster would be fun hehe.
    Zymeth - Level 50 Mage
    Nazgrom - Level 50 Warrior
    Nila - Level 50 Rogue

Crossing my fingers for a complete scrapping and the addition of a tanking soul.

I would even be happy with another fun soul like the Cabalist. Dom was a lot of fun in 1.0 :\
    Focus@Vigil | 60 Mage
    Eluo@Vigil | 60 Cleric
    Prime SL Mage Guide
    Prime SL Cleric Guide

+ Reply to Thread