+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It happens in every game

Default It happens in every game

I've been an avid MMO player since EQ1 was first released. Since then I've been in DAoC,Shadowbane,CoX,WoW,Warhammer,AoC, and the list goes on.

Without fail, each game has had the same complaints on the forums since the dawning of time. They go like this:

1. NERF xxx Class! They unbalance the game!

2. Buff xxx class! It's not worth playing at this point!

3. We need more content!

4. Stop balancing the game around PvP, it makes xxx OP!

5. Stop catering to carebears, PvPers are customers too!

6. Patch xxx broke the game!

7. Company xxx doesn't listen to it's customers!

8. The game is dying! How many subs do you think we have?

Hopefully you see where I'm going with this. Each and every game has experienced most or all of these posts on a regular basis. It's the nature of the beast that gamers ***** and whine. it's what we do.Rift is no different. Listen, even if Trion fixed or catered to every whine or issue currently floating about on the forums in one sweeping patch, people would still complain.

So, let me give you some advice from someone who's been around awhile:

1. Ignore the forums as a whole. Find the calling you like and stick with it. The Nerf/Buff hammer will swing your way MANY times during your stay in Telera.Today may just not be your day. To date, no game has ever had perfect class balance, and it's doubtful any ever will.

If you are unable to find a calling you like from any archetype, Then Rift is simply not your game. It's ok to move on.

2. The best game you ever played, the one with the perfect system, probably went out of business a couple years back or has a VERY low population. Memories and nostalgia tend to make things better than what they really where.

I recall DAoC as being the best game I ever played, but in reality, if it were that good, I'd probably still be playing it.

Think about it.
    Last edited by Artimen; 05-14-2011 at 05:56 AM.
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless. That is your oath...Rise a Knight."

Soulwalker

*Raises glass*

I couldn't agree more.

Soulwalker

Smile

Well Said! I couldn't agree more.

Soulwalker

Well said I've been playing mmo's for awhile now myself and everyone I have played its the same thing over and over honestly I don't know why I even look at forums any more always a bunch of QQ and most of the whiners suck at the game and don't know there class anyway I enjoy pvp as much as pve but when I don't do well in pvp I don't start QQing that other classes are OP I just try and step my game up

Plane Walker

While people will always find reasons to complain, when a game makes swaths of character options unplayablee it's still significantly worse than when you see a 5% disparaty on the DPS meter between two classes. People just tend to hyperbolize everything on the internet, so minor problems are described in the same words as major issues...

Soulwalker

Default it does INDEED happen in every game

I have also played in many MMOs since Eq1, including some you listed and others you did not, and there is one commonality in PVP games: stealth eventually, always, perpetually, become so OP despite the game Devs attempts to balance stealth impact, it is inevitable that other classes play at a marked disadvantage. Call this a flame if you want, but there is a >decade long history of stealth ACROSS MANY MMOs and MMO genre's that can not be denied --- either ask or go do research yourself.

Essentially, as humans, we hear and see game content (and feel it if we have it hooked up to a bad-*** sound system), but we have no innate sense of stealth. "Out-of-sight" is "Out-of-mind" until we see and hear that whack of a sap and watch ourselves get stunned and melee'd to death --- even while AFK at the game bank or at the AH or while talking to a quest NPC.

It is not the player playing the stealther that is the issue, it is the game architecture that introduces such an anomaly to our senses.

One MMO game, in the future, currently an imagination in someone's mind, causing me to stare into space with some yearning I don't quite understand yet, will be the next great MMO and it will not have stealth with its inherent devastation and destruction. Instead, class balance amongst those in the visible world will be easier to strive for since a plethera of reactives against an unseen ememy will not have to be dreamed up and distributed across other class skills as mitigation options against this shadow alien competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Artimen View Post
    I've been an avid MMO player since EQ1 was first released. Since then I've been in DAoC,Shadowbane,CoX,WoW,Warhammer,AoC, and the list goes on.

Without fail, each game has had the same complaints on the forums since the dawning of time. They go like this:

3. We need more content!

Hopefully you see where I'm going with this. Each and every game has experienced most or all of these posts on a regular basis. It's the nature of the beast that gamers ***** and whine. it's what we do.Rift is no different. Listen, even if Trion fixed or catered to every whine or issue currently floating about on the forums in one sweeping patch, people would still complain.

1. Ignore the forums as a whole. Find the calling you like and stick with it. The Nerf/Buff hammer will swing your way MANY times during your stay in Telera.Today may just not be your day. To date, no game has ever had perfect class balance, and it's doubtful any ever will.

If you are unable to find a calling you like from any archetype, Then Rift is simply not your game. It's ok to move on.

2. The best game you ever played, the one with the perfect system, probably went out of business a couple years back or has a VERY low population. Memories and nostalgia tend to make things better than what they really where.

I recall DAoC as being the best game I ever played, but in reality, if it were that good, I'd probably still be playing it.

Think about it.
    Yet without feedback how are the devs to even know what's going on? It's painfully obvious they don't play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftspike View Post
    It's painfully obvious they don't play the game.
    How do you know they don't play the game? Have you been to their headquarters? You do know they have hired game testers right?

This comment is said in so many games(like WoW) it just gives a stupid sense now-a-days.
    Last edited by Aniria; 05-15-2011 at 07:08 AM.
    Check out and support my suggestion, feedback is welcome! http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?227369
    -Gasket Dayblind
    -Aniria Dayblind

Quote Originally Posted by Artimen View Post

3. We need more content!

Think about it.
    I've been contemplating writing essentially this exact post. Well said!
    "In time, all flowers bend toward the sun."

Telaran

Default I agree with stealth guy

You got it in one! Stealth is a major unbalancing factor in any mmo. It gives waaaaay too much advantage to one class while all the other suffers by trying to compensate, witch they can't really do. If it was limited at a distance and you could see through it as soon as they got close to ya, it would be another matter, but that 'i'm completely invisible at 2 inch of your face thing' really is bad. And always, the class with stealth manage to do some stunlock to death somehow with their skillz witch nobody likes to see in a game.

Another thing that is bad for balance is CC. Too much of it always hurt a game (WARHAMMER i'm looking at you!). Rift isn't as bad as warhammer yet, but it seems to be going that route unfortunately.

Rift Disciple

A well thought out and logical post.
    It has no place here. All the bad players and whiners are already derailing what is a un arguable view point.

Bad players are bad. They give alot more weight to "balance" than good players who just play.

Before you argue with the OP ask yourself why others are playing your class with no problems?

Soulwalker

ive been thinking this exact same thing since ive joined this game and when i happened to stumble into this cryfest of a forum, and having played many other games in the past just like the OP, its all true.

people have forgotten, its a game, meant to entertain.

but dont worry, everyone is an armchair developer these days and will tell you how to exactly build and balance a game, and when they finally get what they think they want, it will be no where close to what they thought the end result will be, and they will be bored and quit and move to another game, and will have ruined yet another game. insanity i say, repeating the same action over and over again and expecting a different result.

its funny, OP posts about people crying about a game, and the morons flock to this thread and start posting about imbalance.

its pretty sad forums really serve no purpose and should just be deleted or ignored by developers. happy people who like this game wont say anything and are quiet. but the most vocal of the community are the unhappy who flock to complain on these forums, with really no good feedback, just garbage posts by people who quite frankly need to L2P or are just bad, but have a delusional sense of self worth. Very few good posts get made if ever with good intent of the game as a whole, not some personal agenda.

But, i guess they have to have forums here so you think your opinion matters and they listen to you, offering you a false sense of hope.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Bonekrusher View Post
    Stealth is a major unbalancing factor in any mmo. It gives waaaaay too much advantage to one class while all the other suffers by trying to compensate, witch they can't really do
    Only for 1v1 world pvp its unbalanced, but hey, only time i run arround alone in a MMO game is when i do stupid, boring grinding for some sort of materials/dailies whatever.
    And i like if some sin tries to kill me, its a nice addition to to stupid, boring grinding!
    If you dont like that, yeah well...wrong server?

Or just dont be bad and kill that rogue?

Oh and i like the OP and his post, thank you!
    Last edited by Agnu; 05-15-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Rift Disciple

Am I the only one who is sick of people complaining about people complaining? Dosent make me any better I know but still, there has to be better things to complain about :P

This btw is not directed at the op, just a trend I'm seeing on the forums. Also whats with the "Go back to X game!" bs people spout in game? Do these people know that telling people to leave just makes the game worse? That's less money for development, that's less targets in pvp, less people to group with. Normally this is said when some one asks a question or makes a side remark about the game.

Soulwalker

Default Stunlock...

Yeah, stunlocks are stupidly hard to pull off, people seem to NOT be aware of this though.

Using me as an example, I have Rank 1/2 gear and a 22.8 dps mace as my MH using 51 assassin/ 10 Nightblade/ 5 Ranger.

Assuming all crits.

Paralyzing Strike crits for 400.
    Backstab crits for 600.
    Serpent Strike crits for 1100.
    Final Blow crits for 1300.
    Total: 3400 in 4 seconds. (not including poisons or white damage/serrated blades)
    (this was done against the normal target dummy, and players have MUCH higher mitigation).

With that information, I can probably kill a fresh 50 mage or rogue using specific (low survival) soul combos.

Which is by no means a 'stunlock' given the average person (at 50 on my shard) seems to have more than 4.5k health, R3/4 PvP gear, and an AoE farming spec (high survival).
    Last edited by Coffeebot; 05-15-2011 at 06:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast