+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please consider the Coercer class concept ^^

Soulwalker

Default Please consider the Coercer class concept ^^

Coercer class is an unique one that appears in the EQ2 game. Here is its concepts:

He can charm one of "any" mobs as his combat pet to defeat other mobs.
    He can do crowd control and mana-heal in group or raid fighting, along with good DPS.

I do hope the third mage class would be something like this.
    Last edited by Mirrorbear; 08-08-2010 at 01:18 AM.

I have played a Coercer in EQ2 for a while, it was a class I enjoyed greatly however I did not find it that unique. It reminded me a lot of a chanter, Psionist from other games. However with only 5 players per group I do think it is vital for the group dynamics in RIFT that a chanter is not as important for a group in RIFT as it is in EQ2. You simply just can't fill a group with 1 tank , 1 healer, 1 regen + 2 randoms.

This way you will often find yourself short of the first 3 and always have an overflow of the last two, meaning that a chanter will probably be need to toned down a bit or focus more on utility. What I experienced as ideal was the Psionist in VG, having one along in your group was great, the mana regen was superb but at the same time it was balanced in such a way that missing a Psi wouldn't gimp a group.

I never liked charm classes much, because of this I never really ended doing a lot with my coercer's charms. However a lot of people love pet classes, with RIFT's soul system I think they have the unique possbility to split charming, regen from 1 class and split them over multiple soul tree's. I think this would probably be the better solution than having a traditional coercer class.

The players that want to charm / mind control could pick the charm soul, the ones that want to CC could pick the CC soul or soul abilities. And another buffer soul could provide among others the mana regen. Just examples ofcourse

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Maybe it is just me, but I think people are reading too much into it

Telaran

Default Enchanter

So in other words, you would like a class that can basically do it all. I am not sure I agree. The best CC class I have ever played was an enchanter ala EQ. It was awesome in that my focus was CC and through CC (charm) I could DPS. I do not remember my "uber nook" when I left EQ after GoD but I couldn't hold a candle to a Wizzie or Mage.

. Let us be realistic. The only way to really "DPS as an enchanter was to charm fight. It was fun, exciting, and deadly.

I loved the EQ Enchanter. I hope they have something similar to it here.

VR
    Soha

Reactives are a good portion of the Coercer's damage, and it seems pretty fair because they can't do any real damage on demand (like a wizard or etc), but rather when the target hits someone.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

I and several other people approve this idea. Pure CC classes are an awesome concept. It however, could be an overpowered soul adding a pure cc soul in with a damage caster. However they could balance it out with how many points the core cc took to acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by Osias View Post
    I and several other people approve this idea. Pure CC classes are an awesome concept. It however, could be an overpowered soul adding a pure cc soul in with a damage caster. However they could balance it out with how many points the core cc took to acquire.

Or perhaps the length of the CC depends on how many points you put into the tree?

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    Or perhaps the length of the CC depends on how many points you put into the tree?
    Yeah, a short cc for people who just want to stop things momentarily wouldn't be bad. I just hope almost all cc/fear in this game breaks on damage or after a few short hits. CC that lasts a full duration without breaking no matter what is a horrible idea.

+ Reply to Thread