+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warrior vs. Cleric - First character

Soulwalker

Default Warrior vs. Cleric - First character

Hi all. I just started up rift a couple days ago. I'm currenlty playing a level 12 warrior. At 13 I want to grab pally and do a rb/pally/reav levelling build. I've been reading the forums and I keep thinking maybe I should level a cleric first because then i can rdps, mdps, heal, and tank. I am having fun with warrior but also think I would have fun with cleric.

My assumption is that if I level warrior to 50 I will still end up levelling another character (mage or cleric) right after so I can fill a healing roll as needed as well.

What do you all think? Should I put a hold on my warrior and level a cleric or should i just finish levelling the warrior? I really want to experience as much of the content as possible.

Thanks in advance.

(edit: I'm mainly interested in pve until 50. I may dabble some in pvp at that point but my focus would be pve.)
    Last edited by gunth82; 05-12-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunth82 View Post
    Hi all. I just started up rift a couple days ago. I'm currenlty playing a level 12 warrior. At 13 I want to grab pally and do a rb/pally/reav levelling build. I've been reading the forums and I keep thinking maybe I should level a cleric first because then i can rdps, mdps, heal, and tank. I am having fun with warrior but also think I would have fun with cleric.

My assumption is that if I level warrior to 50 I will still end up levelling another character (mage or cleric) right after so I can fill a healing roll as needed as well.

What do you all think? Should I put a hold on my warrior and level a cleric or should i just finish levelling the warrior? I really want to experience as much of the content as possible.

Thanks in advance.

(edit: I'm mainly interested in pve until 50. I may dabble some in pvp at that point but my focus would be pve.)
    If you want to DPS or tank go with warrior. Clerics can do both too, but unless you have a group to run in you'd be better off playing a healing cleric because you'll get groups much easier. If you don't mind being a healer, do cleric.

You will experience the content either way, especially if you make a healer cleric or a tank warrior/cleric. DPS always has trouble finding groups, so my only real advice for guaranteeing viewing content would be to try and be a healer or tank.

If you want to do raids you'll be fine as most anything, just try to gear for as many roles as possible so you can fit whatever need there is.
    Mo - Ashstone - Kelari Rogue - <Ascendant>
    Anyone feel free to PM/Friend me.
    Join me with ascend-a-friend, if you play on Ashstone I'll buy you a mount and some bags:
    http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/...=ascend_invite

Cleric is better in every way except tanking. You will also get groups much quicker with a cleric because you can fill every roll.

Soulwalker

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think I mainly want to do healing/tanking so I'll probably start leveling a cleric tonight. I think I'm more just concerned with dps for leveling.

Plane Walker

Warriors tank only marginally better than clerics.

Warriors have 1 build that is about equal with cleric dps and its getting outscaled fairly quickly.

Clerics can heal.

Clerics are usefull in pvp.

So if you like tanking; well roll a rogue. But if you like anything else, roll a cleric.

Soulwalker

Default Leveling guides

Cleric Leveling Guide

Is this a good guide for levelling a cleric? If not could any of you recommend me a good one. Those with macros would be best but I can figure out macros based on guides if I need to.

Thanks.

save yourself the headaches and roll a cleric, I'm currently working on my cleric, my warrior is basically shelved at this time.

Soulwalker

I think I'm going to try the guide above unless someone mentions there is a better guide out there.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    Warriors tank only marginally better than clerics.

Warriors have 1 build that is about equal with cleric dps and its getting outscaled fairly quickly.

Clerics can heal.

Clerics are usefull in pvp.

So if you like tanking; well roll a rogue. But if you like anything else, roll a cleric.
    If by marginal you mean end game having 16000 ac 40% magic mitigation and 74% shield block, then yes, marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by gunth82 View Post
    Cleric Leveling Guide

Is this a good guide for levelling a cleric? If not could any of you recommend me a good one. Those with macros would be best but I can figure out macros based on guides if I need to.

Thanks.

Yes, that is an excellent guide.

Plane Walker

If your server is like mine then there is a shortage of tanks. Clerics make for terrible tanks, roll warrior as they are the most flexible tanks available and a plate wearing dps is freaking sweet to level. Also, in 5 mans despite dungeons being nerfed to hell mage healers are preferred to cleric healers.

Edit: My level 50 is a cleric, I'm bored. I'm currently levelling a rogue to be my new main. Rogue tanking sounds like the ****, actually requires skill and when you've gotten down the rotation is amazing.
    Last edited by Kenjitamura; 05-13-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Cleric tank is ok... but of the 3 tanking classes it is the worst. Consider the fact that the cleric tank is also capable of providing back-up healing and you will find nothing to QQ about.. it just isn't as good at holding aggro from multiple targets.

If you want DPS, Tanking, and PvP at 50 then go rogue!!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sirfuzzzy View Post
    Cleric tank is ok... but of the 3 tanking classes it is the worst. Consider the fact that the cleric tank is also capable of providing back-up healing and you will find nothing to QQ about.. it just isn't as good at holding aggro from multiple targets.

If you want DPS, Tanking, and PvP at 50 then go rogue!!
    I dont see how any Cleric would have problem holding aggro on multiple targets. They have a decent AOE melee ability hits like 5 enemies. The biggest problem for clerics is the lack of magic mitigation. Makes them squishy against caster mobs and bosses.

Cleric is easier in that you can spam a macro 1 to 50 without ever dying. Warrior is more interesting.

Playing both back and forth allows you to run on rested xp while teaching you the strengths and weakness of both.

Ascendant

Having played a 50 cleric for a month or two, I rerolled and now play a mage..

Tanking: Clerics are the worst tanks. They can take a hit fairly well, as long as it is physical damage. When it comes to magical damage though, they get exactly 18% mitigation vs the warrior/rogue's 50-70%. HUGE difference. Selfhealing does not come even close to making up the difference.

Healing: Mages are the best healers in non-raid content, and all raids should have atleast 1 chloro for every tank. Clerics can do it, but they're not the best.

DPS: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clerics are the worst DPS by a looooong way (we're talking 1k DPS vs 1.5k DPS for the other classes)

Utility: Cleric does not have a utility soul.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast