+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Class Now?

Default What Class Now?

Hey,
    So I have decided to make a new character, but I am puzzle as to what class I should role. After the 1.2 patch, I have heard mixed things about each class. So if anyone could suggest a class, and souls, it would be very much appreciated

Rift Chaser

My only suggestion is to base your choice on what sounds fun, not what's uber at the moment. Otherwise, you'll be changing characters with each patch and be unhappy with every one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavrae View Post
    My only suggestion is to base your choice on what sounds fun, not what's uber at the moment. Otherwise, you'll be changing characters with each patch and be unhappy with every one of them.
    So what you're saying is quit? You can't base your decision on what sounds fun without being exposed to the problems inherent in every game. Change.

You run the risk no less of disappointment, choosing a character based on fun then choosing one based on feasibility in role execution.

With that said, however, each class should have it's own specific role that makes the player feel OP against most in PVE. That caters to a niche in the gaming community of players who solo most of the content(not dungeons) or who can't seem to land a decent group during their time zone.

Having played nearly every single class up to 40 and every single class up to 30, I can say with confidence that the Cleric is the most stable at this time. Patches to date have not adversely and negatively effected the opportunity for players to build viable solo clerics for the purpose of PVE.

Second to the cleric in stability would be the mage. While some Mage souls have been adversely effected, the staple (chloromancer) has not been dismantled to a degree that renders the mage incapable of filling a solo PVE role.

Third would be the rogue, that has suffered steadily with each patch since launch. While it is tweaked since launch, it has not become unplayable.

Fourth would be the warrior, that used to be far more capable as a solo PVE build, no longer possesses the same grind purpose design. Every tweak to the warrior since 1.1 has done little to address the issue of the virtual elimination of the grind warrior and subsequently warriors are now stuck into a niche role of tanking for groups.

49 66 20 79 6f 75 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 61 64 20 74 68 69 73 2c 20 79 6f 75 27 72 65 20 61 20 6e 65 72 64 2e

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Fourth would be the warrior, that used to be far more capable as a solo PVE build, no longer possesses the same grind purpose design. Every tweak to the warrior since 1.1 has done little to address the issue of the virtual elimination of the grind warrior and subsequently warriors are now stuck into a niche role of tanking for groups.
    I'd contend that, im lvl 39 on my Warrior atm.

I lost my first 1v1 fight of maybe....30-40 today against a lvl 42 cleric.

I regularly get 10-20 DB's a WF whether or not we win or lose.

I can solo minor rifts my lvl and get to the bonus stage in most majors solo.

I can AOE 4-5 mobs my rank or 1-2 higher.

I'm not a hardcore player nor do i consider myself very skilled (i dont put in the hours or the effort to be so)

However with my current build (RB/Pali/VK) i am very effective in both solo questing/grinding and PvP.

I'll qualify this all by saying the only instance i have run is RotF with a 50 helping my pug through. I aint interested in dungeons atm but my warrior is no less fun/usefull/rewarding because of it.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Infidus View Post
    You realize he was referring entirely to PVE while you are speaking entirely about PVP, right?

Quote Originally Posted by poizon4 View Post
    You realize he was referring entirely to PVE while you are speaking entirely about PVP, right?
    Correct. I am referring only to PVE. More specifically, AOE grinding. There is only one build that can effectively AOE grind as a tank and that build has been cut down by changing the damage output of Plague Bringer, that used to do full damage to every target was cut down by a lot to do much less damage across the board. This killed the heal potential, but they didn't stop there. They also cut the healing potential of Soul Devour down to 50%.

Over-all, the heal potential of the tank for grinding dropped over 70%. That's cutting the ability for the solo pve grind tank to operate almost in half. This drastic a change has devastated the PVE grind build.

Though, ultimately you could still theoretically grind as a tank, you'd need to carry drinks with you at all times and use them after every fight. No other class in the game *has* to use drinks to *grind* trash mobs with any reasonable progress.

49 66 20 79 6f 75 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 61 64 20 74 68 69 73 2c 20 79 6f 75 27 72 65 20 61 20 6e 65 72 64 2e

Champion

Play what you have fun with...there is no reason to only play a toon when you have a 90% chance of winning (flavor of the month, etc). My rogue is a bard, my mage is a necro/lock, my cleric is sent/puri/ward. I don't change when they nerf me or buff someone else, I play the roles I want the way I want because it's what I enjoy. And yes, you may die a lot until the nerf bat hits someone else and the buffs come your way. But you will be that much better having survived playing the rough times when the buff gets to you.

Rift Chaser

[QUOTE=Darkness;2396688]Stuff[\QUOTE]

....your sig is mean..... But so true.

Anywho, I agree with the last guy. Play what sounds fun, not FotM. You'll be much better for it in the end, and have a lot more fun.

Soulwalker

So what you're saying is quit? You can't base your decision on what sounds fun without being exposed to the problems inherent in every game. Change.

You run the risk no less of disappointment, choosing a character based on fun then choosing one based on feasibility in role execution.

With that said, however, each class should have it's own specific role that makes the player feel OP against most in PVE. That caters to a niche in the gaming community of players who solo most of the content(not dungeons) or who can't seem to land a decent group during their time zone.

Having played nearly every single class up to 40 and every single class up to 30, I can say with confidence that the Cleric is the most stable at this time. Patches to date have not adversely and negatively effected the opportunity for players to build viable solo clerics for the purpose of PVE.

Second to the cleric in stability would be the mage. While some Mage souls have been adversely effected, the staple (chloromancer) has not been dismantled to a degree that renders the mage incapable of filling a solo PVE role.

Third would be the rogue, that has suffered steadily with each patch since launch. While it is tweaked since launch, it has not become unplayable.

This is someone that doesn't play for fun, they play like it's a job

Rift Disciple

Rogue, sab.

am i meant to say more ?

edit : sry saboteur

edit: sabateur

edit: sorry, sorry not sry.
    Last edited by Crazybull; 05-12-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sieya86 View Post
    This is someone that doesn't play for fun, they play like it's a job
    Actually, I play casually and as a student at heart, I pay close attention to many aspects of the game. If by playing like it's a job, you mean I don't ignore all of the failings present in the system, then you're correct, but if that is the correct analogy you're looking for, I consider anyone unwilling to voice their opinion (based in testing) on the failings and successes of this; Trion's first major launch, a hypocrite when they try to call anyone out for doing it, themselves.

I care about the success of this game. It's execution was superb and the infrastructure for development is unparalleled by any game in this MMORPG industry. The potential for Rift as a project of growth in an industry froth with stagnant content packages and little motivation to play passed cap is staggering; and is constantly being slowed down by a playerbase of self indulgent egomaniacs hosting a superiority complex coupled with fears of inadequacy that parallels in its ability to stupify and perplex only in the question: Why don't you?

Soulwalker

Actually, I play casually and as a student at heart, I pay close attention to many aspects of the game. If by playing like it's a job, you mean I don't ignore all of the failings present in the system, then you're correct, but if that is the correct analogy you're looking for, I consider anyone unwilling to voice their opinion (based in testing) on the failings and successes of this; Trion's first major launch, a hypocrite when they try to call anyone out for doing it, themselves.

I care about the success of this game. It's execution was superb and the infrastructure for development is unparalleled by any game in this MMORPG industry. The potential for Rift as a project of growth in an industry froth with stagnant content packages and little motivation to play passed cap is staggering; and is constantly being slowed down by a playerbase of self indulgent egomaniacs hosting a superiority complex coupled with fears of inadequacy that parallels in its ability to stupify and perplex only in the question: Why don't you?
    I play to pass the time, and I am not terribly worried about most of these changes coming down in the patches. To be honest i come from everquest, where the nerf bat got passed around plenty. In the end I stuck with the class i found most enjoyable, which is how everyone should play, instead of wanting to be the best in PVP, which is what most of the complaints about being OP and nerfed are about anyhow. If you want to switch your class and souls every few months because they changed some abilities then by all means go ahead. After all you pay the same subscription fee as I do, and are free to enjoy the game as you see fit. If your so interested in the games success then maybe you should be invited on the development team, after all you seem to have all the answers.

+ Reply to Thread