+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Similar Are A Nightblade And A Blade Dancer?

Default How Similar Are A Nightblade And A Blade Dancer?

Seems they are close in similarity.

I know you cannot become a Blade Dancer until later in the game. Seems like the biggest difference is the Nightblades ability to add fire and death to their blades. Unless there is something I am missing. Just trying to get a handle on the difference between the two.

"Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago."
    - Horace Mann (1796 - 1859)

From what I understand, the Nightblade is a stealth class, while the Bladedancer is more like a Monk with weapons; no stealth, no ranged attacks, just agile frontline fighting.

Here is a quote from the dev sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet
    The Nightblade, can launch attacks from stealth and hurl flaming blades at their enemies.
    The Blade Dancer, builds up a tempo in their combat alternating between left and right handed attacks before unleashing powerful moves that can leave them temporarily exhausted.
    The Ranger, attacks from afar with their bow and is aided by an ever faithful animal companion.
    It doesn't say to much - but it do look like there is going to be a difference. The Blade Dancer really having to build up to be powerful...could see that augmenting the Nightblade nicely

Thanks Kartys and Mirander. That makes it a little clearer.

"Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago."

The nightblade is the classic rogue. A fighter from stealth who tries to stay at the back to maximize damage and has some fireballs and other fire and death magic to prevent a mob from getting away.

The bladedancer is more the melee ranger. He might fight from the sides or the back, but I doubt the angle will matter a lot. He will be devastating in his attacks, just not like the nightblade who does it the rogue way. He's still a melee dps class so his dps will be very high.

They are quite different I assume, but it's still all in the works or unreleased. We have seen some of the nightblades skills, but not the blade dancers skills. We will have to wait and see for the end version.

I actually found a few traits for the Bladedancer in the official video where they went through the class system.

Bladedancer:

first tier talents grant 5% hit and 10% dodge. I forgot the names.

Reprisal Attack:

no cost, 6 sec cd.

A powerful attack that deals weapon plus 7 to 19 damage. Never misses, cannot be parried or dodge. Usable after you parry or dodge an opponent's attack.

Strike Back: You have a 50%, 100% chance to strike back with both weapons whenever you dodge an opponent's attack. 2 ranks.

Improved Quick Strike: Your QS increases the damage of your next Keen Strike by 5%, 10%. 2 ranks.

As you can see, BD seems to be a pretty powerful soloer. I'm sure they'll be VERY powerful against other melee classes in PVP as well.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Kinda begs the question I wonder how this will effect dps. Currently playing EQ2 as a Swash which should be T2 dps and where I am happiest most, I don't need my epeen to top the parse although I find myself there alot. So really saying are all rogues made to be equal dps here or is there one that will fill that role of T1 dps?

I see a nightblade as more of the assasin type vs bladedancer being the rogue am I off on that?

Looking towards the rogue type I hope to bring more to the table than straight up dps.

To me the difference between the two appears to be very similar to the two main rogue specs in WoW. Nightblade = Assassination and Blade Dancer = Combat. But yeah for those that haven't played WoW, stealth attack oriented and swashbuckler style respectively. It worries me that the vast majority of the videos I have seen involve BDs. I wonder if that is because the devs love playing them (and hence we will see an overpopulation of BDs) or whethr there are other reasons - e.g. first completed class or the casters are too darn sexy to show this early and they are beiong saved until closer to launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Linolea View Post
    To me the difference between the two appears to be very similar to the two main rogue specs in WoW. Nightblade = Assassination and Blade Dancer = Combat. But yeah for those that haven't played WoW, stealth attack oriented and swashbuckler style respectively. It worries me that the vast majority of the videos I have seen involve BDs. I wonder if that is because the devs love playing them (and hence we will see an overpopulation of BDs) or whethr there are other reasons - e.g. first completed class or the casters are too darn sexy to show this early and they are beiong saved until closer to launch.
    I'd say Nightblade is Subtlety Rogue+Destro Lock. Hit and run, but you can also throw fire and shadow damage, and you have a DoT finisher.

The Bladedancer mechanic is odd, almost sounding similar to that of the mages (you cast and cast and build up your bar and then unleash a larger attack). It'll be interesting to see how it's handled in terms of UI elements. I know they have combo points, but maybe some other stuff as well? Speculation, of course.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Thanks everyone for the input. You did make it clearer for me.

Soulwalker

Well, this thread seems to have ended 8/8/2010 before the announcement of the Assassin class. There were already a few comparisons of the Nightblade resembling an assassin in this thread. So now what are the major differences between the Nightblade and the Assassin? Aside from the use of magic by the Nightblade their descriptions read pretty similar with both classes' strengths in stealth and the quick kill and both being weak at lengthy combat.

I believe the blade dancer was shown in the videos because of their fast attacks and speed which makes combat look more fast paced and enjoyable to watch.

I never understood the fire aspect of the Nightblade. There's nothing stealthy about hurling flaming daggers at people and you're running around with torches on your blades, you're not going to be effectively stealthy ha ha.

I'm really interested in the blade dancer, personally, as I've always wanted an Evasion/Speed based melee DPSer who didn't have to rely on stealth or brute strength and could hang with the big guys up front.

+ Reply to Thread