+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are not classed supposed to be the way they were in classic tabletop D&D?

Telaran

Default Are not classed supposed to be the way they were in classic tabletop D&D?

For example:

Warrior = Great armor, Great damage, but slow movement and low Dex.
    Rogue = Poor armor, but great steal and DEX and burst DPS.
    Mage = No armor, great spell DPS both ranged and AOE.
    Cleric = Good armor, mediocre DPS, great healing to group and self.

For every class, there is a strength and a weakness, none of this OP crap where they do everything great.
    Also, bring back base stats skewed to the above, and you allocate points per level to the stats.

Gear doesnt improve these stats to avoid gear gating, but instead do something unique and different.

I realize people will complain they cant solo with such a design, but what about being able to use a pet when solo only, to make up for not having a group?

Or maybe an NPC or two to join you?
    Kind of like the way the old Baldurs Gate games from Bioware did?

Soulwalker

Well, if you've played D&D 3+ , you'll see that there are no fixed roles anymore.

Taking your classes as an example about D&D since 3rd (not sure about 4th, didn't play it), consider this being at highish pre epic level, not at low level (1-7).

Warrior (Fighter, Barbarian, etc): Great AC (does nothing at that level due to attack bonus scaling), Mediocre dmg at best unless it uses some exploits, not much utility in comparison to other classes.

Rogue: Again armor is not that important, saves matter the most, Goodish burst, more utility than anything (trap finding, flanking, etc)

Mage: Survivable as hell (A plethora of armor, saves, invisibility and things of the sort, drop by the D20 Char optimization forums in wizards site to see what I mean about it.) , DPS through the roof, tho it doesn't matter as most things are insta kill.

Cleric: Just can't die if played correctly, high damage with high level spells, not only a healer anymore. (Shapeshift at spell level 9 taking the right domains means you'll end up being a X breathing dragon with more AC than your warrior, buffed to hell and back, and destroying things easily.)

That's why Cleric, Druid, Wizard are considered Tier 1, characters that do everything well. Neither of this classes have any real weakness past certain level.

Baldurs Gate was slightly modified, and used aD&D rules, was a great game, doubt the ruleset would work in an MMO environment tho.

As for Rift, well, somehow it related to D&D... Mages can do 1hk in some cases (Red buff + lucky crit + pyro soul, etc) . Clerics are hard as nails to kill, if they are in their survivability spec at least. Warriors do nice dps, a lot of people think it should be higher tho. Rogues are a matter of who you ask, some Rogues say Sin, NB , etc work correctly and are not UP, some Rogues (most of them) say they are UP and need better buffs than 1.2. So far I've seen Slic videos of a Sin/NB and he seems to do great, but I would like to hear his real opinion, not just watch a video of him destroying people, as he may be showing us the kills, and not the deaths.

TL;DR : It kinda is like D&D in past editions.

Rift Chaser

No, they aren't. If you want an MMO that's exactly like D&D, I have good news for you - there's actually a Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO), and it's free to play (meaning be prepared to pay for a lot of the fun stuff). This Is Rift, where each of the callings is more like a theme describing the style of the character's abilities, and you get to mix and match abilities within that theme to make the character YOU want instead of the one Gary Gygax wanted
    Yes, I have a blog. I even update it from time to time

Originally Posted by TheHangman:
    In Rift, PVE raids you!

This entire game is based around breaking away from those class structures. Did you not read anything about the game before you started playing it?
    Maybe he just wanted to steal our wire cutters. You ever think of that?

Going to agree with the above posters. D&D's great, but they already have their own MMO. If rift was just going to be another knock off in terms of classes, I wouldn't have bothered to even play it.
    Red ball + fulminate + really craptacular dom/pyro spec trying to hard cast transmog and pray your spell lands before some squirrel punching moron eats your controlled opp proc = +1 board warrior keeping mages from being realistically balanced in PVE or PVP. 1.0-1.2's best combo in the game. RIP FOTM Pyro rollers

The issue is that no one wants to be slow. So you can wear any sort of armor and not be slow. To balance this, armor doesn't mean much. Instead choosing to equip a shield (thus sacrificing dps) is what allows tanks to function well. Pretty much every MMO does this.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by chipset35 View Post
    For example:

Warrior = Great armor, Great damage, but slow movement and low Dex.
    Rogue = Poor armor, but great steal and DEX and burst DPS.
    Mage = No armor, great spell DPS both ranged and AOE.
    Cleric = Good armor, mediocre DPS, great healing to group and self.

For every class, there is a strength and a weakness, none of this OP crap where they do everything great.
    Also, bring back base stats skewed to the above, and you allocate points per level to the stats.

Gear doesnt improve these stats to avoid gear gating, but instead do something unique and different.

I realize people will complain they cant solo with such a design, but what about being able to use a pet when solo only, to make up for not having a group?

Or maybe an NPC or two to join you?
    Kind of like the way the old Baldurs Gate games from Bioware did?
    You've been registered for 2-3 months, you've made 36 posts, and yet you failed to grasp one of the most basic concepts in RIFT flew in the face of stereotypes? Wow.

+ Reply to Thread