+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why no caster auto ranged attack?

Default Why no caster auto ranged attack?

Wands shouldn't even have dps on them... they don't do anything. Caster doesn't get white attacks even though we have ranged auto attack it doesn't work. We can turn it on and the second we use an ability it turns off. Anyone know why ranged caster dps doesn't get white dmg?
    If you played FFXI then add me to your friend list.

Rift Disciple

if they get white damage many will complain about there casts causing to much damage, so there casted spells would get less damage for the casts to balance it out, alot of MMOs do this, instead of having a wand based attack they have fire balls and such

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Dobranoc View Post
    if they get white damage many will complain about there casts causing to much damage, so there casted spells would get less damage for the casts to balance it out, alot of MMOs do this, instead of having a wand based attack they have fire balls and such
    The way Warhammer did it was that because casters had the benefit of range they had no AA. This game should be much the same way where melee, because they have to be close, should have it only.

They should also give melee AA with Str/AP bonus again as well. A perfectly played caster will out DPS a perfectly played melee in PVE every time so melee need it.

Shadowlander

We do get white damage with ranged attacks, its just like you said, you can't do anything while using it (toggle it and sit there, you'll start attacking). I never thought to try it before but funnily enough: with a life wand, it doesn't trigger LGV but it triggers the 25% INT trait.

Question

If it is a ranged issue don't ranged rogues have auto attack when they are stationary? I believe the op is right if mage/cleric are not suppose to why is it there?

Soulwalker

The wand serves two purposes:

1. Stat stick. If you didn't have something to equip in the ranged slot, you would have slightly lower stats than those classes who can equip a ranged weapon.

2. It's there to attack with if you run out of mana.

Casters are balanced around the fact that they have no autoattack already. The DPS you do with your spell rotation is supposed to equal that of a physical attacker's abilities + autoattacks. If wand autoattack was implemented, spell damage would have to come down.

Soulwalker

Magic damage ignores armor.

Physical ranged abilities and autoattacks don't.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ycom View Post
    Magic damage ignores armor.

Physical ranged abilities and autoattacks don't.
    Physical ranged abilities and autoattacks ignores resists

Magic damage does not.
    Last edited by Dissolute; 05-07-2011 at 08:55 AM.

aren't everyone's autoattacks useless anyway because they don't scale with attack power?
    This is why we can't have nice things.

autoattack dps with a wand is around 40-50ish not going to break the game by it being implemented. I realize that wands are just a stat piece, but that still calls into question why we have auto attack and why there's dps on our wands.

If you run out of mana and are relying on auto attack... i'd lol at someone with enough insight to open their abilities to turn on auto attack, but still lack the skill to manage their mana.
    If you played FFXI then add me to your friend list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolute View Post
    Physical ranged abilities and autoattacks ignores resists

Magic damage does not.
    As soon as my Swift Shot hits as hard as Fireball, you can have an autoattack.
    Let's just thank Christ that they got rid of twinking. It truly lacked any skill to twink.

Quote Originally Posted by Festo View Post
    As soon as my Swift Shot hits as hard as Fireball, you can have an autoattack.
    As soon as your swift shot has a 2 second cast time during which you have to remain still, you can have a Swift Shot that hits as hard as fireball.

This kind of useless crap can be done all day.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeline View Post
    autoattack dps with a wand is around 40-50ish not going to break the game by it being implemented. I realize that wands are just a stat piece, but that still calls into question why we have auto attack and why there's dps on our wands.

If you run out of mana and are relying on auto attack... i'd lol at someone with enough insight to open their abilities to turn on auto attack, but still lack the skill to manage their mana.

So you would rather have a 3 second cast spell do 150 less damage per cast and be able to fire off the wand simultaneously? Why? What is the point? Or you just want to fire off your wand for free? Do you feel like you aren't doing enough damage? If that's the case, I'd personally rather just have the spells do more damage anyway.

As for the second point: It's really a holdover from other similar MMOs (Those upon which RIFT is based.) The fact is, yes, mana is not an issue for mages in this game at all. You'd have to be pretty bad to end up relying on your wand. In other games, this was not the case. The wand was especially useful for certain classes while leveling, and in the early days of WoW for example there were times when mages and priests would end up wanding raid bosses for a while either to conserve mana, or allow it to regenerate. It just gives you an option to do a little damage instead of sitting around doing nothing.

Is it necessary to do that in RIFT? No, not really. But RIFT is derivative of other games and thus it is still included, it's just a useless legacy ability.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    As soon as your swift shot has a 2 second cast time during which you have to remain still, you can have a Swift Shot that hits as hard as fireball.

This kind of useless crap can be done all day.
    Funny thing is we have a shot with a 2sec cast time. Hits less than fireball, Takes 5 combo points and is a dps loss.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Surlakin View Post
    So you would rather have a 3 second cast spell do 150 less damage per cast and be able to fire off the wand simultaneously? Why? What is the point? Or you just want to fire off your wand for free? Do you feel like you aren't doing enough damage? If that's the case, I'd personally rather just have the spells do more damage anyway.

As for the second point: It's really a holdover from other similar MMOs (Those upon which RIFT is based.) The fact is, yes, mana is not an issue for mages in this game at all. You'd have to be pretty bad to end up relying on your wand. In other games, this was not the case. The wand was especially useful for certain classes while leveling, and in the early days of WoW for example there were times when mages and priests would end up wanding raid bosses for a while either to conserve mana, or allow it to regenerate. It just gives you an option to do a little damage instead of sitting around doing nothing.

Is it necessary to do that in RIFT? No, not really. But RIFT is derivative of other games and thus it is still included, it's just a useless legacy ability.
    Before level 20 in WoW the player crafted wands standardly out dps the spells you can cast as some classes (without emptying your mana bar every mob) and they used to have talent points you could spend on increasing wand damage.

But mana conservation was a much bigger issue in WoW than Rift. I'd take infinite mana (which we have here) over having to use a wand sometimes in a heartbeat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast