+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie question: Mage or Cleric for pvp?More info inside

Soulwalker

Default Newbie question: Mage or Cleric for pvp?More info inside

Hi everyone I'd love to ask you guys a question since for the first time I'm a bit overwhelmed by the plethora of choices the game gives to newbies when talking about class decision.

A bit of background: I played wow from beginning up to end of lich king as a shadow priest(even when it was "lol you can't shadowpriest in molten core we need da healz") and I curretnly play on FFXI as a monk/blue mage/etc so clearly I love classes thatn can dish out good and quick dmg and still somehow survive, better if casters.I also loved the warrior priest in war as a concept but never liked the game from the beta so whatever...

My doubt is that since I probably won't have time to pve raid since I'm "maining" ffxi as a mmo game, I'd love to get what that game misses, which is pvp, so I want to really get an idea on what to do in rift to do some fun pvp.

I started as mage pyro/ele/archon at brought it up to lvl 20, since I've read uber whine about pyro oneshots and huge dmg, which could prove fun in pvp, but still I'm not convinced especially since low lvls pvp don't give good insight(was uber slaughtered around 20 without doing a single kill, but admittedly I got a pve spec right now), and I'm uberly tempted to roll a cleric just because it might seem a bit more similar to shadow priest of wow in some of the specs.

Before you ask, yes, I like the imbaness of pvp sometimes, especially when I'm on the right side, so I probably choose pyro to make other cry in forums since I find it especially fun in a way, but still I'd love to hear input about cleric DAMAGE(would make it bold but I guess you'll get it) in pvp.

any pve info is nice too but consider it would be a "I'm bored of pvp let's do something outside" so not really focused on that.

Thanks for the help, in the meanwhile I'll keep lvling my mage...

Telaran

Rift does not have solid or balanced PvPand the queue times can get pretty abysmal. Clerics don't die so...

Rift Disciple

cleric are fer better on heal on pvp but dmg is ok i gues not played cleric at 50 pvp yet but time will come

mage u better be behind ur friends or die unless ur haveing very good pvp gear

Shadowlander

Default Support mages will be useless with 1.2

Note: my mage is level 44 so I cannot address the level 50 warfront but certainly CAN adress the other three. Also, I cannot adress other mage specs because I specced Chloro/Dom with only 2 points in pyro for the base instant attacks. I prefer to be a master of one trade than a Jack of all so I specced healer and have not spent alot of time learning other trees but will be forced to do so soon.

As a Chloro/Dom spec I spend 80% of battle time in warfronts silenced or stunned and now with 1.2 and the Marksman 5 second stun I might as well stand back by the spawn area and buff everyone as they rez because I will spend ALL battle time stunned or silenced! Especially since marksmen can silence me well before I can do ANYTHING to them due to their extended range beyond EVERY other class (or spend every second trying to stay out of LOS... Oh, but I can't do alot of my heals if I don't have LOS). We have NO stun or silence shield - no undo Stun or silence (like warriors that have undo stun in SEVERAL trees - again I cannot speak to all classes) but most classes have a reactionary response for opposing attacks - not support mages! This character is about to become TOTALLY useless in warfronts!!!! Thanks for NOTHING Trion

I will have to spec as pyro (and cause even more rogue whines) because support spec mages in warfronts will become TOTALLY neutralized unless you give them some kind of reactionary or prevention skills.

I am SO sick of the rogue whining about (mostly Pyro) mages being OP since, as I stated earlier, I spend 80% of battle time stunned or silenced I have to use what little time I have spamming the heal buttons hoping I can get it in before I am silenced or stunned again.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Symwar View Post
    Note: my mage is level 44 so I cannot address the level 50 warfront but certainly CAN adress the other three. Also, I cannot adress other mage specs because I specced Chloro/Dom with only 2 points in pyro for the base instant attacks. I prefer to be a master of one trade than a Jack of all so I specced healer and have not spent alot of time learning other trees but will be forced to do so soon.

As a Chloro/Dom spec I spend 80% of battle time in warfronts silenced or stunned and now with 1.2 and the Marksman 5 second stun I might as well stand back by the spawn area and buff everyone as they rez because I will spend ALL battle time stunned or silenced! Especially since marksmen can silence me well before I can do ANYTHING to them due to their extended range beyond EVERY other class (or spend every second trying to stay out of LOS... Oh, but I can't do alot of my heals if I don't have LOS). We have NO stun or silence shield - no undo Stun or silence (like warriors that have undo stun in SEVERAL trees - again I cannot speak to all classes) but most classes have a reactionary response for opposing attacks - not support mages! This character is about to become TOTALLY useless in warfronts!!!! Thanks for NOTHING Trion

I will have to spec as pyro (and cause even more rogue whines) because support spec mages in warfronts will become TOTALLY neutralized unless you give them some kind of reactionary or prevention skills.

I am SO sick of the rogue whining about (mostly Pyro) mages being OP since, as I stated earlier, I spend 80% of battle time stunned or silenced I have to use what little time I have spamming the heal buttons hoping I can get it in before I am silenced or stunned again.
    Look at what you get for 0 points in archmage.

You know, the pvp tree.

Then also, realise that in 1.2 with these changes they are also severely nerfing all CC.

But back to the OP.

If you want to heal in pvp absolutely roll cleric.

Chloro healing in warfronts is for masochists.

If you want to kill people in warfronts then roll mage.

If you want to kill people 1 vs 1 then again roll cleric. Though there are mage specs that are perfectly capable of this as well, healing in a 1 vs 1 setting is ludicrously powerful (and chloro self healing is not by any means amazing).

I think cleric's make much more powerful solo world pvp builds than any other class.

Mages will always have better burst, better cc, and better escapability.

Clerics will always have better defense and heals.

+ Reply to Thread