+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How are you going to Handle Justicars and Riftstalkers in LFG?

Default How are you going to Handle Justicars and Riftstalkers in LFG?

What are you going to do when you zone into your LFG group next week and see a Cleric or Rogue tank?

I'm just not sure yet. I see Rogues are getting a threat bump, which they sorely needed but not much for Justicars. My experience so far in Rift has not been great in experts with them as tanks. Some have been better than others, but on average it has been a much more painful experience than with a warrior tank. What I don't know is if people who were really passionate about tanking rolled Warrior from the start, and the Clerics / Rogues who are tanking are doing it in a off spec capacity or if their abilities just make it more difficult. They seem to struggle at tanking more so than warriors. You can almost feel a frustration with them that doesn't come through with warriors. I know the experts are getting nerfed a bit, which kinda makes me sad. I would have been happy with taking out some unnecessary trash, and maybe a few less lasers to dodge! Some of the boss abilities also have me concerned as non warrior tanks might not have a counter.

If all the dungeons were Lantern Hook length I probably wouldn't be so concerned. I will probably give them a shot if it appears they have actually put some work into their gear, at least close to 10k health, tank enchants, etc.

How about you?

Kooby

Rolled a Cleric at the start with the intent to Tank. Doing fine in Experts. We do have some minor aggro issues, since our AoE aggro is on a long cooldown, but we can manage just fine.

What we need is the group we are with to understand how we tank and adjust accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooby View Post
    What are you going to do when you zone into your LFG group next week and see a Cleric or Rogue tank?

I'm just not sure yet. I see Rogues are getting a threat bump, which they sorely needed but not much for Justicars. My experience so far in Rift has not been great in experts with them as tanks. Some have been better than others, but on average it has been a much more painful experience than with a warrior tank. What I don't know is if people who were really passionate about tanking rolled Warrior from the start, and the Clerics / Rogues who are tanking are doing it in a off spec capacity or if their abilities just make it more difficult. They seem to struggle at tanking more so than warriors. You can almost feel a frustration with them that doesn't come through with warriors. I know the experts are getting nerfed a bit, which kinda makes me sad. I would have been happy with taking out some unnecessary trash, and maybe a few less lasers to dodge! Some of the boss abilities also have me concerned as non warrior tanks might not have a counter.

If all the dungeons were Lantern Hook length I probably wouldn't be so concerned. I will probably give them a shot if it appears they have actually put some work into their gear, at least close to 10k health, tank enchants, etc.

How about you?

Kooby
    I think this question would be more for the healers, I guess.

Basically you're asking them would they rather heal a warrior or a cleric who can't keep hate just as well is what it sounds like.

And even though rogues get that threat bump, unless they know how to NOT get hit, it's more than likely going to be healers working overtime 8/10 times without the plate guy.

Most DPS won't care who's tanking as long as it isn't them.

I guess it's a good thing because it means you'll have much better healers at endgame because they've had to really work during the lower levels while these 'Not Plate' tanks learn how to play.

Banned

If the Cleric's and Rogue's you have tank are running into threat issues than they must not understand the proper rotation or something. Go look at greenscale loot and ros loot there are plenty of cleric and rogue tanking drops. I think all three classes have a tanking role in the game, and serve different purposes. For example a rogue is going to have more avoidance than a warrior or cleric.

Rift Disciple

Thumbs up

Yea, only issue I have as Justicar is aggro. 1 single target with 6 second cool down and 1 aoe with 1 min cooldown.

What I normally do is cast 1 spell on each part of group pull then pop purpose and spam Even Justice for 10 seconds.

I can also spam heals to keep aggro, but that takes a lot of mana, too.
    <Ethereal Order> - Guardian Guild - Corthana Shard.
    http://www.etherealorder.com

lol. Cleric tanks are excellent tanks in experts. Their threat generation is far superior to both rogue and warrior. The only disadvantage is on some of the trash pulls with ranged on the outside. A decent tank should easily overcome it. Rogue tanks are much easier to heal than warrior tanks as well because they don't get hit for spike damage like the other two.'

Basically, a bad player is a bad player. It doesnt matter if they are a warrior, cleric or rogue. Be more worried of that than the class.
    9/9

If you are having threat issues as a cleric your doing it wrong.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by chris051599 View Post
    lol. Cleric tanks are excellent tanks in experts. Their threat generation is far superior to both rogue and warrior. The only disadvantage is on some of the trash pulls with ranged on the outside. A decent tank should easily overcome it. Rogue tanks are much easier to heal than warrior tanks as well because they don't get hit for spike damage like the other two.'

Basically, a bad player is a bad player. It doesnt matter if they are a warrior, cleric or rogue. Be more worried of that than the class.
    cleric tanks have no spell resist however they can heal and shield themselves + they have combat rez for when you take agro and get 1 shoted.

Are people just as concerned that they might end up in a group with a chloro healer?

Nerf PAPER,
    SCISSORS are fine.

Signed,
    ROCK

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Arvid Dziednieks View Post
    If you are having threat issues as a cleric your doing it wrong.
    For what it's worth, I only have aggro issues in two cases and even then I get aggro back fairly easy in the first case.

Case 1:

DPS players are not assisting me and attacking another target, I can just easily switch over to their target and pop my taunt and get aggro.

Case 2:

In this case I cannot get aggro back for the life of me. When elementalist has their rock pet out and it is same level as me. That thing is an aggro *****. I can use my Bolt of Radiance AND Righteous Imperative and still not pull aggro off of that damn pet.

Oh and I guess a 3rd case is in an invasion. Invasion bosses have ADD and keeps switching targets regardless.

Plane Touched

I think what the OP is trying to do is trick Trion into setting "standards" for dungeon runners. Requiring a tank to have 10k hp or tank enhancements is setting standards. That may be what you think is "required" to run a dungeon. The key word there is required. No one is required to play by your standards no matter how common sense they may be to you.

I think Trion has been too clear about not wanting to interfere with such player liberties. If someone wants to que up as a tank with only 2k hitpoints, they get to. You and the rest of the group will just have to wait 10 minutes to boot them. Or, you could quit the instance and wait even longer to que up again.
    Probably the most difficult aspect of living in a free society is letting other people enjoy their freedom, their way.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Dwadili View Post
    For what it's worth, I only have aggro issues in two cases and even then I get aggro back fairly easy in the first case.

Case 1:

DPS players are not assisting me and attacking another target, I can just easily switch over to their target and pop my taunt and get aggro.

Case 2:

In this case I cannot get aggro back for the life of me. When elementalist has their rock pet out and it is same level as me. That thing is an aggro *****. I can use my Bolt of Radiance AND Righteous Imperative and still not pull aggro off of that damn pet.

Oh and I guess a 3rd case is in an invasion. Invasion bosses have ADD and keeps switching targets regardless.
    Miss-targeting happens, but as you said it's usually easy enough to get the aggro off the mob - provided the mob doesn't 1 or 2 shot the target, hehe.

As for the second case, I'd give the Ele a bit of pre-warning to shut off his pet's aggro abilities. The fact that they haven't done so tells me they're not very knowledgeable about their class in a dungeon/raid aspect. If their pet still pulls after the initial warning, let them die. They'll learn soon enough.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Miss-targeting happens, but as you said it's usually easy enough to get the aggro off the mob - provided the mob doesn't 1 or 2 shot the target, hehe.

As for the second case, I'd give the Ele a bit of pre-warning to shut off his pet's aggro abilities. The fact that they haven't done so tells me they're not very knowledgeable about their class in a dungeon/raid aspect. If their pet still pulls after the initial warning, let them die. They'll learn soon enough.
    I know nothing about elementalist, but I knew you could turn off abilities, however it slipped my mind to even mention that, haha.

I will do that from now on! Thanks for that idea.
    Last edited by Dwadili; 05-06-2011 at 06:18 AM.

Rift Chaser

How do riftstalkers handle the gauntlet in DD

Quote Originally Posted by Dwadili View Post

Case 1:

Case 2:

Honestly, the Ele should probably not even have their rock pet out. If they're far enough into ele to have a respectable pet (instead of one stuck at 30), then they should have the air elemental available to them, this is a far superior pet for groups.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast