+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Complete Newbie

Soulwalker

Default Complete Newbie

Hi, well, as the title says, I'm a complete noob when it comes to these games... I heard of Rift through someone and thought I'd give it a go, and i need some help with... well, everything...

I'm used to playing Ranged/Bow classes more than anything and wouldn't mind taking one again on here, but from what I see, they all seem to be somewhat despised... I'd really like a class that's relatively easy to play to start with, maybe I'll change to something more challenging later. I prefer PvE over PvP, though I've never really played PvP so I can't really compare. Basically, imagine you're trying to convince me this is a great game and I should stick with it xD

one more thing, what's DPS 0.o?

I'm speaking personally here, so this is, of course, just my opinion.

I rolled a rogue with Marksman and Ranger for awhile, and had a lot of fun with it in both PvE and PvP. It's a good non-mage ranged class, although there are a good amount of options for ranged in almost every calling.

Right now, I'm a chloromancer/warlock, and I'm having the time of my life. I can take on upwards of 5 or 6 mobs at a time, and upwards of 10-12 back to back, if my CDs are up. And PvP is a joke to me. I regularly top the damage charts, even when I'm fresh to the WF tier, and do a moderate amount of healing, as well. This although makes me a good target, and regularly top the damage received a lot, too.

Really, just try whatever you feel you'll like. Take a look at http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html and test out different callings and builds. You'll find what suits you best. ^.^
    The very existence of flame throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Going to bite. Easiest ranged class to level is ranger. The pig/boar is an aggro machine and at 6 points or so you get a heal for the pet. Now, if you want it to put out decent damage early on, I'd prolly recommend going 10 in nightblade for the boosts to AP building skills damage and finisher damage(Blazing Fury and Coupe de Grace respectively). DPS is damage per second.

You can pick up(read "buy") new roles when you have the cash. You can have 3 by level 20ish if you are thrifty(to a max of 4). Each role is a set of 3 souls and the attached action bars. As a rogue, for example, you can have a ranged dps, buffer/offhealer(bard), tank(riftstalker), or a melee dps setup, or any combination of builds. At level 14 you can get quests(really easy ones at that) in your capitol city to pick up the 5 souls you didn't get from the starter zone.

The best thing about this game is being able to change your role to suit the occasion. Takes 2 sec out of combat to swap specs.

Warriors can melee dps or tank. they even have some ranged dps moves they can bust out when they have to.
    Clerics can ranged dps(poorly), melee dps(decent), tank(worst of the 3, but still pretty good against single target physical), or main or off heal(most versatile of the 2, good MH but their group heals are mana intensive)
    Mages can ranged dps, buff/offheal, or main heal(biggest tank heals unless they can't do damage)
    Rogues can tank, melee dps, ranged dps, or offheal/buff
    Last edited by Carolius; 05-04-2011 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnxMoon View Post
    Literally it stands for Damage-Per-Second, and it is generally used to refer to a class that's primarily (if not exclusively) used for generating damage (i.e. not tank or healer or support), or when referring to how much damage output a class can do on average.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnxMoon View Post
    Hi, well, as the title says, I'm a complete noob when it comes to these games... I heard of Rift through someone and thought I'd give it a go, and i need some help with... well, everything...

I'm used to playing Ranged/Bow classes more than anything and wouldn't mind taking one again on here, but from what I see, they all seem to be somewhat despised... I'd really like a class that's relatively easy to play to start with, maybe I'll change to something more challenging later. I prefer PvE over PvP, though I've never really played PvP so I can't really compare. Basically, imagine you're trying to convince me this is a great game and I should stick with it xD

They may seem despised here on the forums, but you need to understand that many of the people here are very intense. I'm not saying that is a good or bad thing, I can be that way too depending on my real life committments. Many are serious number crunchers and are screaming at the top of their lungs about 10 to 15% differences in DPS (damage per second) between different classes.

There are many ways you can make a rogue with a bow work. Either just try to throw some things together that make sense. Eventually you may want to look at the class forums to get a better build, but one of the features of Rift is that you can switch souls out very easily. You can respec (respecification - i.e. respend your points) pretty cheaply. So you are not forever gimping your character by making educated guesses and trial and error.

Yes you can see everything easily in the soul tree calculator http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html
    and could do some trial and error while leveling, and then when you get something you like, plug it into that website and post it here, and see if others can tweak it a little better for you.

Heathkit H-89; 16 KB CPU; 90 KB Zenith HD; 5.25" H/Z-87; HDOS.

My opinion: jump right in and learn from your mistakes and then after 4 years you will finally understand how everyhing works! MMO's... i know right?

+ Reply to Thread