+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remove the strict soul ability groupings?

trb
    Rift Disciple

Default Remove the strict soul ability groupings?

Why not use a system where all points count from the ground up?
    so you have your 3 souls and each tier still requires X points spent before you can buy into that tier but you don't have to spend X points in that specific soul?

so I could spend 10 points in one soul and be able to select from all of the 11-15 point abilities from any of the 3 I've chosen?
    wouldn't this make it easier to balance given all abilities of a given level then only need to be compared to other abilities on that same level, instead of having to consider the abilities above and below as well?

I think it would also make for more combinations then there is now.

just a thought.

Soulwalker

So I can use all the higher tiered skills basically for free? How is that not unbalanced?

trb
    Rift Disciple

unbalanced Vs who?
    everyone would be able to do it.
    what it really means is that there is more potential for diversity.

and it doesn't mean that no one would buy the lower tier abilities in multiple souls, many of those are very useful.
    its just allows a bit more choice then the standard number distributions.

also it doesn't change the abilities gained on the bottom end, you'd still need points in that soul for the "roots", so people aren't going to be able to choose 3 x 51pt abilities .etc

this just relates to the abilities in the "branches" area of the soul trees.

So I can go 51 pt pyro and then use my other 15 points getting 20% extra damage from Warlock and 30% extra crit damage from Elementalist? **SOLD**

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySight View Post
    So I can go 51 pt pyro and then use my other 15 points getting 20% extra damage from Warlock and 30% extra crit damage from Elementalist? **SOLD**
    And you still got 2 points left over to spend in intensify elements for increased 50% dmg for a few seconds. And don't forget neddra's essence either -80% dmg for 7 seconds. Yup yup, that sounds right, now that would mean fully barbeque feast in pvp. And it can even go crazier in pve and with the other callings to.

So sorry OP but your proposal makes it even harder to balance stuff out then it is now.
    Last edited by Ydyp; 05-04-2011 at 02:15 AM.

Very bad idea, this would completely destroy the balance. The hybrids already do it where your main has a ton of points and your subs mostly 15. Some souls need more to be balanced with others.
    Implementing this would cause chaos.

Intensify elements+Lich Form+Powerball+Fulminate???

10k crit anyone?
    Shut your pie hole!!!

everything would have to be reworked from the ground up for this to work, due to all of the unforseen (and some not so unforseen) balance issues this would create. the trees were developed with the tiers in mind, obviously, and while i've never been particularly fond of the tier system that's what we have.

Plane Walker

Bit late for this suggestion.

Trion is not going to change the entire soul mechanics

Also i don't see how it would ever work. At 51 points you would have 3 souls worth of skills? It would definitely need a complete rebuild of the game and balance that has been achieved so far.
    Last edited by XEshamX; 05-04-2011 at 06:34 AM.

It would make for a lot more combination possibilities, for sure. But it would also throw balance out the window.

Spending 30 points in one soul would allow you to buy the 31pt abilities from all three, without having to spend a single point in those other souls. People would pick and choose the "best" talents from various souls in order to minmax themselves even further.

There would be no way to balance it without completely scrapping the system and starting over from scratch. Champions Online did something similar, and it was a horribly imbalanced cluster****.

Isn't the point of having a tiered system so that you can't do exactly this kind of thing?
    Our beautiful, tortured biosphere.

+ Reply to Thread