+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Class Request - Warrior Cleric

Soulwalker

Default Class Request - Warrior Cleric

Since the Paladin has been announce as part of the warrior tree, I was thinking of a more healing focused melee cleric along the lines of the Warrior Priest in WAR. I liked how Mythichandled it but wish it was a bit more focused on melee heals and attacks to heal up group members (spash heals or dual targetting system). I would like to see something along this line explored in Rift within the cleric tree. Any thoughts?

-Morbid

Signed, I like meleeing while healing.

The way I understand the soul system, it works like customizable stances, affinities. The priest soul would be a very low dps, perhaps even somewhat squishy, direct healer focused soul. Very bad (because slow) soloer but good in groups. Whether they will be announced or not, there hopefully will be space for a melee soul, a caster soul, a more tankish soul, all with limited healing. Perhaps even souls with dps heals (not sure how to implement that though without dual targeting, too bad that this isn't being implemented). There will likely also be buffing souls that don't really do anything beside adding castable and combat buffs.

A war cleric would be something like a 70% cleric, 30% melee dps soul with perhaps some tanking mixed in.

Of course there will never be a real need to roll a war cleric alt when you already have a priest. Bad times for those that love to roll alts.

There's an Inquisitor soul. Combined with a healing one you can get what you want. I really don't understand all the class request thread-there's so many yet to be announced, even if you wouldn't get what you want you'll probably be able to make a combination that plays out that way.
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

The Disciple from VG was cool too. And aye, although we may not be given something that directly resembles your request we may be given enough choices to build something similar. Pick a few souls that have some nice melee abilities (even if not focused on them) and stick to using those. Although, with the wide range of classes we know of already I wouldn't be surprised to see a strictly melee-healer.

Soulwalker

Even if it was a soul that added melee lifetaps that could splash or heal a defensive target would be fine by me. Cross that with a cleric soul and should be good to go. As long as there is a soul with those sort of abilities.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid_Death View Post
    Any thoughts?

-Morbid
    Well, uh, I never played WAR that much so I dont know how their warrior priest works.
    But Ive played some others MMO with melee-healers. Often their heals requires the meleehealer to hit a target for the heal to get active. Some meleehealers had a buff which they casted on a monster, then everytime the caster (and in some games partymembers) the group would get healed a bit.
    These ideas I really like - because it makes the meleehealer to get into the fight and acctually make some meleedps.
    Maybe the meleehealer could have some debuffs which also activates when he/she hits the monster?

Meh, I guess we all just have to wait and see... ;o

Ascendant

The Warrior Priest mechanic was cool. When I played I would have liked the 2her tree to do more splash healing as I always found it more effective to use a book and stand in the back.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by solarbear View Post
    The Warrior Priest mechanic was cool. When I played I would have liked the 2her tree to do more splash healing as I always found it more effective to use a book and stand in the back.
    It would definitely take some effort to make sure melee was balanced with ranged healers to make the risk vs the reward the same. I always thought it would have been nice to have melee better than book healing in WAR.

I would love to see a plate wearing healer similar to the VG cleric, but I'm afraid that it's not gonna happen. It seems that Paladins will be strictly a tank class and you can't use souls from a diffrent class to make a hybrid class. With that said here's hoping one of the other heal classes TBA will wear plate.

Telaran

I remember my DoK from WAR quite fondly. They did get the warrior cleric mechanics worked out quite well. The DoK could fight and heal but couldn't do both very well at the same time. Out of combat the DoK could decide which set of equipment they would use. The gear would give a bonus to fighting and a penalty to healing or vice versa. If your party needed more dps then go fighting style and if your party came up against a tough boss then switch to healing.

A DoK was about 90% as good as a pure melee character and about 85% as good as a pure healer but was never both of those in the same combat. The key to playing the class well was to know when to switch roles. I never had problems finding groups as DoK were welcome to almost every party. If 2 DoKs were in the same party then they would decide between themselves who would fight and who would heal.

It was great fun running the scenarios as a DoK. If you started in say healer style the opposition would start to key on you as a healer and target you first. A few seconds out of combat and you could switch to melee and in the next encounter the enemy would quickly regret targeting you first.

+ Reply to Thread